NIN/Jane's Addiction

Started by jbud1980, March 25, 2009, 02:20:23

Previous topic - Next topic

jbud1980

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 26, 2009, 23:22:38
Quote from: lostflower4 on May 26, 2009, 01:50:57
Quote from: jbud1980 on May 25, 2009, 19:30:03still in san fran, went to the mountain view show last friday, and it was pretty good. not the best i've seen them, but loved the setlist! sorta odd for NIN to be opening for jane's addiction. the crowd was more in to talking and getting up from their seats every five seconds, which was a major distraction, but oh well.

I guess you probably missed out on this?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/24/BAIT17Q8RL.DTL

:lol:

awesome  :smth043

@jbud1980: i thought it would be pretty warm over there in california at this time of year?

it is warm in orange county. i think the outside temp gauge in my car said 74 on my way from work today. the high in san fran was probably 50 something, with the low being in the 40's.

lostflower4

Well, I saw them in Kansas City a couple days ago. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed in the setlist. It was probably the "heaviest" set of the tour, but that's not my favorite type of music by them. I was really hoping to hear a good share of these tunes:

Home
Reptile
La Mer
Metal
I'm Afraid of Americans
Dead Souls
Down In It
Right Where It Belongs
Lights in the Sky
The Day the World Went Away
Gone, Still
The Fragile
The Way Out Is Through

While it was obviously unrealistic for them to play all of these, I figured they might play at least 4 or 5 of them — maybe  more if I was lucky. But just guess how many of these that they played?  Just two (The Fragile and The Way Out Is Through).

Ok, I'm glad I did get to hear these live — but I thought there would be a few more different songs. I was certain they'd at least play Metal or I'm Afraid of Americans, but not this time.

The setlist:

Now I'm Nothing
Terrible Lie
Discipline
March of the Pigs
The Frail
The Wretched
Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now)
The Becoming
Burn
Gave Up
Echoplex
The Fragile
The Way Out Is Through
Wish
Survivalism
Physical (You're So)
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like A Hole
Hurt

A few of these songs were a bit "rare" for this tour, like Discipline and Echoplex — but since I had heard them during the last tour they weren't very special to me. Ok, I guess I'm just picky!

This review suggests they might have played a bit different set since they didn't play KC during the Lights in the Sky tour:

http://www.lostinreviews.com/2009/05/nin-tonight

I think there might be some truth to that.

Street Sweeper Social Club was kind of interesting and there were a few really good moments there. Can't say I'm a huge Jane's Addiction fan, but Perry Ferrel fell down in the middle of Ocean's Size — which was pretty funny.  :lol:

crowbi_wan

You should have gone to Sasquatch.

Home
Somewhat Damaged
Terrible Lie
March of the Pigs
Metal
The Becoming
Burn
I Do Not Want This
Gave Up
La Mer
The Fragile
Gone, Still
The Way Out is Through

Wish
Echoplex
Survivalism
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like A Hole
Hurt

Kind of wish I had gone.  Although I'd have like to seen:

Dead Souls
Something I Can Never Have
Mr. Self Destruct
Sin
I'm Afraid of Americans
The Day the Wold Went Away
Heresy
The Big Come Down

Anyway, looks like a nice DVD project is in the works for KC:

http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?52,665522,page=1

jbud1980

the setlist at the shoreline ampitheatre in mountain view was sorta similar:

Home
Terrible Lie
Discipline
March of the Pigs
Piggy
Metal (Gary Numan Cover)
The Becoming
Burn
Gave Up
The Fragile
The Way Out is Through
Wish
Echoplex
Survivalism
The Day the World Went Away
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like a Hole
Hurt

Would have liked to hear these songs, but oh well, they are rarely played, if ever.

The Perfect Drug
Eraser
Sanctified
Ringfinger
Where is Everybody?
Happiness in Slavery
Zero-Sum

japanesebaby

Quote from: jbud1980 on May 31, 2009, 02:21:30
Ringfinger
Where is Everybody?
Happiness in Slavery

i might give my little finger (or perhaps more fitting to say "my ringfinger" ;) for getting to hear those...
or 'into the void'.
last time i saw NIN i was lucky to hear 'sin' and 'dead souls'.

i was hoping to be able to catch NIN in germany this summer but not sure if that will happen after all.  :?
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

jbud1980

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 31, 2009, 04:44:53
Quote from: jbud1980 on May 31, 2009, 02:21:30
Ringfinger
Where is Everybody?
Happiness in Slavery

i might give my little finger (or perhaps more fitting to say "my ringfinger" ;) for getting to hear those...
or 'into the void'.
last time i saw NIN i was lucky to hear 'sin' and 'dead souls'.

i was hoping to be able to catch NIN in germany this summer but not sure if that will happen after all.  :?

yeah, and this is supposedly the last time NIN is touring, right? have u been on nin.com? it says 1989-2009.

crowbi_wan

Sounds like NIN is once again going back to the clubs/theaters!!!   :shock:

http://www.livedaily.com/news/19592.html

NIN, whose recently completed North American co-headlining tour with Jane's Addiction was billed as NIN's last-ever roadtrip--have announced plans to cap the run with a few more US shows.

"Getting right to the point, we're going to play a handful of shows in NYC, Chicago and LA starting August 22nd," NIN founder Trent Reznor said in a message posted today (7/7) at the band's website. "They will be informal affairs in medium to small venues with longer set-lists, possible special guests, cool openers and other surprises."
Reznor added that he felt his group's summer tour with Jane's Addiction wasn't the note he wanted to bow out on, and also said that the additional shows may yield a concert video from the band, which last year had to scrap plans for a film shot during the its Lights in the Sky tour.

"Upon reflection, the NIN/JA tour felt like we had to rush through sets due to a limited allotted set length and many shows were in daylight--it just didn't feel right to end NIN that way," he said. "An offer to headline V-Fest in Toronto (being announced soon) set the idea in motion to play some FUN shows to end this up with. If we can get it together we'll film these shows, too."

According to Reznor, the new shows will take place in New York City at the Bowery Ballroom, Webster Hall and Terminal 5; in Chicago at the Aragon Ballroom ; and in LA at The Wiltern, The Henry Fonda, The Palladium and The Echoplex.

"These should be cool, unusual and unique shows and I hope you come out--this is it," Reznor wrote. "So far, The Horrors will be joining us for some shows in NYC, Mew will be with us at other shows in NYC, Chicago and LA, and perhaps more."

Details and ticket info will be posted at NIN's website when available.

:rocker

nausearockpig

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on July 08, 2009, 03:47:00
Sounds like NIN is once again going back to the clubs/theaters!!!   :shock:

NIN, whose recently completed North American co-headlining tour with Jane's Addiction was billed as NIN's last-ever roadtrip--have announced plans to cap the run with a few more US shows.

"Getting right to the point, we're going to play a handful of shows in NYC, Chicago and LA starting August 22nd," NIN founder Trent Reznor said in a message posted today (7/7) at the band's website. "They will be informal affairs in medium to small venues with longer set-lists, possible special guests, cool openers and other surprises."
Reznor added that he felt his group's summer tour with Jane's Addiction wasn't the note he wanted to bow out on, and also said that the additional shows may yield a concert video from the band, which last year had to scrap plans for a film shot during the its Lights in the Sky tour.

"Upon reflection, the NIN/JA tour felt like we had to rush through sets due to a limited allotted set length and many shows were in daylight--it just didn't feel right to end NIN that way," he said. "An offer to headline V-Fest in Toronto (being announced soon) set the idea in motion to play some FUN shows to end this up with. If we can get it together we'll film these shows, too."

According to Reznor, the new shows will take place in New York City at the Bowery Ballroom, Webster Hall and Terminal 5; in Chicago at the Aragon Ballroom ; and in LA at The Wiltern, The Henry Fonda, The Palladium and The Echoplex.

"These should be cool, unusual and unique shows and I hope you come out--this is it," Reznor wrote. "So far, The Horrors will be joining us for some shows in NYC, Mew will be with us at other shows in NYC, Chicago and LA, and perhaps more."

ah, good news for those who can be there! then again, i kind of hate it when people say "ok this is it, we're stopping now" and then cancel their words on the last minute, even if it's just to prolong the thing a bit. usually when trent says something, then he also means it (not like some other people... hinthint  :roll:)

Quote from: crowbi_wan on July 08, 2009, 03:47:00Reznor added that he felt his group's summer tour with Jane's Addiction wasn't the note he wanted to bow out on,

hey no kidding? i always thought it was really pretty dumb (sorry for the choice of word...) to let jane's addiction headline. because what sort of goodbye tour is that, letting someone else headline? did it say "JA|NIN tour" in the concert posters? no, i think it said NIN|JA. so. and well, no wonder some people wrote stuff like this then:

http://www.rufkm.net/2009/05/09/trent-reznor-does-not-want-to-f*ck-you-like-an-animal-concert-review-50809/

So, it was quite shocking to be in the pisser at 7:50PM and hear, through the echoes of the bathroom, what sounded like NIN.

Yes, kids. NIN was playing first....... in the daylight.

There were several problems with this situation:

[...]
2. The amphitheatre was not even half full  as people expected NIN to play at 9PM

i have to agree with that, it must have been unbelievably annoying. i really don't understand how they could let someone else headline, i just don't.
but the rest of that "review" = :smth011 :smth011

i was hoping to be able to catch NIN in germany this summer but not sure if that will happen after all.  :?

yeah, and this is supposedly the last time NIN is touring, right? have u been on nin.com? it says 1989-2009.
[/quote]

yes, i was happy to catch them in germany last week  :smth023 and both gigs were proper full-blood NIN shows: longer sets, both indoors (vital for this band imo). so no fear of daylight: especially in berlin it was so dark and the venue was so completely filled with smoke that it almost reminded me of their old times' club shows. and it was hot too: it was like in a sauna, even trent said "goddamn it's hot up here!". after the gig everybody looked like they've been standing in the shower for two-three hours. :lol:
now THAT's more like it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36543214@N07/sets/72157620961521497/

but a hint for trent: if you don't like "rushing through sets due to a limited allotted set length" then why not consider leaving out those openers altogether, just however cool or surprising they might be. just use all the time yourself, that's what people want to see. :!:

anyway, very good news if they are also filming. i was just thinking the other day that they should really really have filmed some of these last indoor shows. the whole band is really better than ever now and this tour should have deserved to be documented!

anyway, it will be nightmare, trying to get tickets to those gigs... good luck!
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

He's just figuring that out now?  :lol:

I think anyone could have told him that not being the headliner and having to condense your setlists as a result isn't the best way to go out.

And now that kind of ruins the whole "finality" of the U.S. shows. When I saw them, I figured that was it — but now there's always that temptation to see them one more time. Well, I suppose that's to be expected with farewell tours. The artists behind them never seem to really go away.  ;)

And sorry JB, didn't see your post before I wrote this. I guess you already said much of the same thing.  :oops:

jbud1980

Quote from: japanesebaby on July 08, 2009, 08:26:59
Quote from: crowbi_wan on July 08, 2009, 03:47:00
Sounds like NIN is once again going back to the clubs/theaters!!!   :shock:

ah, good news for those who can be there! then again, i kind of hate it when people say "ok this is it, we're stopping now" and then cancel their words on the last minute, even if it's just to prolong the thing a bit. usually when trent says something, then he also means it (not like some other people... hinthint  :roll:)

Quote from: crowbi_wan on July 08, 2009, 03:47:00Reznor added that he felt his group's summer tour with Jane's Addiction wasn't the note he wanted to bow out on,

hey no kidding? i always thought it was really pretty dumb (sorry for the choice of word...) to let jane's addiction headline. because what sort of goodbye tour is that, letting someone else headline? did it say "JA|NIN tour" in the concert posters? no, i think it said NIN|JA. so. and well, no wonder some people wrote stuff like this then:

http://www.rufkm.net/2009/05/09/trent-reznor-does-not-want-to-f*ck-you-like-an-animal-concert-review-50809/

So, it was quite shocking to be in the pisser at 7:50PM and hear, through the echoes of the bathroom, what sounded like NIN.

Yes, kids. NIN was playing first....... in the daylight.

There were several problems with this situation:

[...]
2. The amphitheatre was not even half full  as people expected NIN to play at 9PM

i have to agree with that, it must have been unbelievably annoying. i really don't understand how they could let someone else headline, i just don't.
but the rest of that "review" = :smth011 :smth011

i was hoping to be able to catch NIN in germany this summer but not sure if that will happen after all.  :?

yes, i was happy to catch them in germany last week  :smth023 and both gigs were proper full-blood NIN shows: longer sets, both indoors (vital for this band imo). so no fear of daylight: especially in berlin it was so dark and the venue was so completely filled with smoke that it almost reminded me of their old times' club shows. and it was hot too: it was like in a sauna, even trent said "goddamn it's hot up here!". after the gig everybody looked like they've been standing in the shower for two-three hours. :lol:
now THAT's more like it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36543214@N07/sets/72157620961521497/

but a hint for trent: if you don't like "rushing through sets due to a limited allotted set length" then why not consider leaving out those openers altogether, just however cool or surprising they might be. just use all the time yourself, that's what people want to see. :!:

anyway, very good news if they are also filming. i was just thinking the other day that they should really really have filmed some of these last indoor shows. the whole band is really better than ever now and this tour should have deserved to be documented!

anyway, it will be nightmare, trying to get tickets to those gigs... good luck!

[/quote]

i agree, it will be a nightmare, but i will prevail! i scored tix to the first show of the with teeth tour way out in bullsh*t fresno at a little tiny theatre, but it was by far, the best NIN show i have ever been to! to see them at the wiltern...

jbud1980

4 dates in LA in September! I recommend the wiltern, but still, 4 dates! anybody else going? i am going to try for all four, but not sure.

They go on sale tomorrow!  :rocker

crowbi_wan

How the heck do you plan to get tickets to all four when they go on sale at the samme time?  Echoplex is going to sell out in about 5 seconds and might be  a waste of valuable time for the others.  Ah, but if you were to get a ticket to the last show... :shock: :-D :rocker   

I'm considering coming down for the Wiltern gig.  It's a Saturday, so I wouldn't have to take any vaca days from work.  Still not sure, though.  I'll be in Cali the week prior for Outside Lands and just don't know about two trips back to back. 

jbud1980

Quote from: crowbi_wan on July 17, 2009, 05:31:04
How the heck do you plan to get tickets to all four when they go on sale at the samme time? 

i wasn't expecting anything, just hoping. :)

i scored tix to the palladium show. ugh, traffic was so bad on the way home from work that it was already five after before i started to try for tix. did u score any?

crowbi_wan

Quote from: jbud1980 on July 18, 2009, 04:40:18
Quote from: crowbi_wan on July 17, 2009, 05:31:04
How the heck do you plan to get tickets to all four when they go on sale at the samme time? 

i wasn't expecting anything, just hoping. :)

i scored tix to the palladium show. ugh, traffic was so bad on the way home from work that it was already five after before i started to try for tix. did u score any?

Hey, one isn't bad.   :smth023  I was going to say there's still a general sale for the Wiltern, but seems that is no longer the case. 

I opted to not go.  U2 and Muse are calling my name.  Will be seeing them in Raleigh this October.  :-D 

It sounds like several tapers/filmers got tickets to every NIN show.  Great news!  There was a lot of good stuff being shared and it sounds like that will continue with these club dates.