Why all the best bands of the planet are from the UK?

Started by dsanchez, April 01, 2009, 15:37:42

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

The Cure, Slowdive, Pink Floyd, Echo and The Bunnymen, Pulp, Depeche Mode, James; just to name a few. Why the best bands are from the UK?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Trust...

Quote from: dsanchez on April 01, 2009, 15:37:42
The Cure, Slowdive, Pink Floyd, Echo and The Bunnymen, Pulp, Depeche Mode, James; just to name a few. Why the best bands are from the UK?

The Mission, ... Yes it's strange hé, no explanation for that.
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

rodney

Pavement, The National, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips etc. are all from North America.   :smth023

crowbi_wan

Not from the UK - Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Silversun Pickups, Nine Inch Nails, Interpol, Neil Young, Sarah McLachlan, Explosions in the Sky, Coheed and Cambria, System of a Down, Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP, Metallica, Van Halen, The Secret Machines...

I could go on.

dsanchez

Quote from: crowbi_wan on April 01, 2009, 18:54:28
Not from the UK - Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Silversun Pickups, Nine Inch Nails, Interpol, Neil Young, Sarah McLachlan, Explosions in the Sky, Coheed and Cambria, System of a Down, Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP, Metallica, Van Halen, The Secret Machines...

I could go on.

Some good bands there, but no-one comes even closer to Pink Floyd, Cure or DM (to name just three) in my humble view :roll: Of course, everyone has their own taste, but I still think the UK have produced the best bands ever.

Still the question: why UK?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Matti

Quote from: dsanchez on April 01, 2009, 15:37:42
The Cure, Slowdive, Pink Floyd, Echo and The Bunnymen, Pulp, Depeche Mode, James; just to name a few.
Quote from: Trust... on April 01, 2009, 15:40:47The Mission, ...

Erm... Anyone remember The Beatles?
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on April 01, 2009, 19:01:20
Quote from: crowbi_wan on April 01, 2009, 18:54:28

I could go on.

Some good bands there, but no-one comes even closer to Pink Floyd, Cure or DM (to name just three) in my humble view :roll: Of course, everyone has their own taste, but I still think the UK have produced the best bands ever.

Still the question: why UK?

well i don't think UK has any sort of "exclusive rights" or monopoly in producing the best bands. even some small(er) countries like sweden have produced really great  bands/artists like kent, covenant and opeth, to name a few. all of which are totally able to compete with any of the UK bands that you named.

i'd say it just all boils down in whether you favor certain kind of styles of music or not. you seem to favor some "UK styled bands" so to speak, so it easily seems like UK has more good bands than other countries. but still, it's completely subjective - and therefore, perhaps the question doesn't remain  after all (in my humble opinion). ;)
it's just your personal choices.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Virpi

...cry like the stone white clown and stand lost forever in a happy crowd...

Ulrich

I guess it's down to my personal taste that I've mostly preferred bands from UK (right early on from the mid80's when I was 15 yrs old). I haven't been to the UK before 1992, but somehow I guess I've always been "Anglophile"...  ;)
The Cure, The Damned, The Stranglers and many others I listened to since 1985/86. Later on came bands like Cranes, Mogwai, Rakes, Editors etc.
BUT of course there have been loads of good bands from other places, e.g. Ramones.
And "old" bands like The Doors. Or local bands from South Germany.
So, I like all kinds of bands from all over the world, but the majority are from the UK indeed. I also love visiting London/England from time to time!  :D
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

skellington

Don't forget Gorillaz, but lots of other great bands come from all over the world like Devo, the Killers (USA)  Barenaked Ladies, Neil Young (Canada)  :smth020
Its Just Like a Dream...:)

Ulrich

Of course no list here in this thread was complete (was it?), otherwise this thread would be much longer already...
Don't like Gorillaz much, but Neil Young is more for me.  :D

Strangely, Interpol and The National sound almost like they were from UK, but they're not.   :eek:

cinamon

Hm, first of all, the person who asked the question certainly doesn't know all the bands in the world, does he? From my experience, there are HUNDREDS of amazing bands all around the world, either singing in English or their native language, but I guess that unless they have a record label from UK, USA or Australia or CANADA, it must be very difficult for them to become well-known in those markets, or worldwide. It's not fair but that's the truth.

Now, to agree with others, there have been may brilliant bands from the States (mentioned above), and other countries as well. I know about absolutely amazing bands from Japan, Slovakia, Jamaica, Germany, Island, Austria and many other countries, but frankly, they are not known here, and not because they are less good than UK or US bands, simply because they were not born here and thus have it much more difficult to 'break through'.

It's like as if you generalized that US has produced the best movies in the world, and haven't been aware of any foreign language movies.

japanesebaby

Quote from: cinamon on July 16, 2010, 23:40:15I know about absolutely amazing bands from Japan, Slovakia, Jamaica, Germany, Island, Austria and many other countries, but frankly, they are not known here, and not because they are less good than UK or US bands, simply because they were not born here and thus have it much more difficult to 'break through'.

exactly.
it's not that the very best get their voices heard, just those who are among the best but also were lucky to have born in the right place. some of the best concerts i've went this year have been local bands, not much known outside my country. but they would beat any major group on stage anytime, if they only had that chance - which they probably won't. so.  we will always ignore over 90% of bands out there just because we simply don't know them.
and the lucky ones (the ones born in the right country) make all the money...

Quote from: cinamon on July 16, 2010, 23:40:15It's like as if you generalized that US has produced the best movies in the world, and haven't been aware of any foreign language movies.

a very good example.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Ulrich

Quote from: cinamon on July 16, 2010, 23:40:15
From my experience, there are HUNDREDS of amazing bands all around the world, either singing in English or their native language, but I guess that unless they have a record label from UK, USA or Australia or CANADA, it must be very difficult for them to become well-known in those markets, or worldwide. It's not fair but that's the truth.

Nowadays it's much easier for such unknown bands to be heard world-wide. Yes, there is a fantastic thing called the internet. You can listen to loads of bands on myspace, youtube etc.!!
(How about starting a thread with links to unknown bands from all over the world?)

It's not all wrong what you said, years ago the power of major labels was indeed bigger. However things have changed a bit. Help those unknown bands by spreading the word!

alt.end

Quote from: Ulrich on July 17, 2010, 16:58:28
Quote from: cinamon on July 16, 2010, 23:40:15
From my experience, there are HUNDREDS of amazing bands all around the world, either singing in English or their native language, but I guess that unless they have a record label from UK, USA or Australia or CANADA, it must be very difficult for them to become well-known in those markets, or worldwide. It's not fair but that's the truth.

Nowadays it's much easier for such unknown bands to be heard world-wide. Yes, there is a fantastic thing called the internet. You can listen to loads of bands on myspace, youtube etc.!!
(How about starting a thread with links to unknown bands from all over the world?)

It's not all wrong what you said, years ago the power of major labels was indeed bigger. However things have changed a bit. Help those unknown bands by spreading the word!

i see your point, but this only works to a certain extent. most people don't care about a band if it's not confirmed from the media that this band is supposed to be good etc. Myspace is not what it used to be 4-5 years ago, now i even cancelled my account because of all the spammers etc. Also, how can you actually discover a band? Festivals now put on mostly signed bands with some buzz going on, and you cannot go to a local pub every single night to see some new bands playing each night. And there are so many of them!

as for the labels, i think cinamon wasn't talking only about majors, even small indie labels are today capable of 'breaking' the band worldwide.

btw, i liked that idea about a thread where everyone posts links to unknown bands, doesn't matter where they come from, whether they are signed or unsigned. let's do that ;)