Open (from the High 5" EP)

Started by Whiskers, March 19, 2010, 05:00:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiskers

I got the High single a little over a year ago, but it wasn't the standard one that has This Twilight Garden or Play on it; it's a CD in a cardboard sleeve and when I put it into iTunes, it read the CD as High (5" EP); more info can be found here: http://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/the_cure/high___open/
Anyways, the version of Open that's on this CD is mixed a little bit differently from the version on "Wish," even opening with a distorted clip of Robert Smith saying "Can we record this?" I actually prefer this version over the one on Wish, and was wondering if anyone can shed any light on it.

ron

Some basic info is that this version is called the "fix mix".  You can also find this version on the limited edition 12" of high.  I also prefer this version over the album mix.  I remember first hearing it on a free cassette given away with a magazine (select I think).  It sounds much better on cd though.

japanesebaby

yes, that the fix mix version.

it can be found on the UK 12" limited edition clear vinyl pressing too.
'high' was never released as a vinyl single in the US, instead there were several different versions of cd single released. one of these is the two-track version (with 'high' and 'open' fix mix) with cardboard sleeve.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

cure-fan

The band has re-recorded some parts on the Wish recording session...and there are some mixes of the songs. 'Fix mix' of OPEN is one of them...like the 'trip mix' of HIGH.
Cure forever