'Push' Paris 2008

Started by cheyler, June 06, 2014, 23:46:39

Previous topic - Next topic

cheyler

Most of us are aware that Paris 2008 is going to be a concert DVD at some point (let's hope sooner rather than later).  The hour of it that is already available shows them at the top of their game and I can't wait, although the very fine audience recording will do for now.  During 'Push' the guitars are way out of tune with each other, seems that Porl's is the culprit.  It's not 1977 anymore, no tuning up on stage, gotta trust that when the guitar tech hands over the guitar it will be tuned properly but s*** happens...repeatedly. 
What would we all accept as a solution?  (1) It can be left as it is, (2) it can be omitted entirely (not my favorite solution, incomplete shows bug me no end), (3) Robert can overdub Porl's guitar part himself, (4) maybe Pearl could be convinced to come by the studio and do it and (5) forget the whole thing, although there has been considerable work done over the last few years (well, maybe not 'considerable', maybe proportionately considerable keeping in mind all the other projects and the touring schedule). 
Personally I go for option #1, although no one but the Grateful Dead has ever let anything even mildly flawed go out for public consumption, the main offenders being Thin Lizzy.  Actually that's not entirely accurate, every album Elton John has ever released has been much more than mildly flawed...but that's opinion rather than technical (im)perfection.
What do you all think?  I mean about 'Push', not Elton John...

dmscheuer

Well, they released Bestival with the drums sounding like little tiny toys, so why would Robert bother changing the guitars on Push?

Fabien G

Must be option #1. That's the way it was played, period. Shit happens, it's not 100% polished like a Lady Gaga show, it brings life to the gig. I HATE it when they cheat and do overdubs. LEAVE IT LIKE IT IS!

cheyler

Worse than fixing it would be to just omit the song.  That is an incredible concert, even the hour of film we already have is a revelation, and the audio of the full show is a must-hear.  We should be all right, after all there is a precedent for leaving alone a huge conspicuous problem in an official release: the bass on 'A Strange Day' on 'Trilogy'.  If that was the better of the two, I'd hate to hear what the other one sounds like...

dsanchez

Quote from: cheyler on June 06, 2014, 23:46:39
Most of us are aware that Paris 2008 is going to be a concert DVD at some point
I honestly don't think there's going to be a DVD of this. There was already a TV broadcast (HD) and I don't think there's going to be anything else besides that.

The Cure - Paris Bercy 2008 (Concert)
We're still waiting for the Reflections and LatAm2013 Tour...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: dsanchez on December 24, 2014, 13:05:19
There was already a TV broadcast (HD) and I don't think there's going to be anything else besides that.

Interestingly, Push was not included in the broadcast.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo