Robert Smith: "We’re going in about six weeks time to finish our new album"

Started by dsanchez, December 14, 2018, 11:31:47

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Bob:

"Seeing all these new bands—I've listened to some of these bands and met so many of them that it's kind of inspired me to do something new," he said. "So, yes, we're going in about six weeks time to finish off what will be our first album in more than a decade. It's very exciting times for us all around."

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/robert-smith-confirms-that-a-new-album-from-the-cure-is-on-the-way/
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

chemicaloverload

Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

Ulrich

The holy city breathed like a dying man...

chemicaloverload

Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

Ulrich

Quote from: chemicaloverload on December 14, 2018, 11:54:34
Its what you were waiting for Ulrich   :lol:

Yes, as they say "all good things come to those who wait".  ;)
All the Cure album since 1987 have been sort of "milestones" in my life, so this should be another one, no matter how it turns out. Just trusting Robert's artistic instincts and his songwriting abilities... plus the musical ability of the band of course.  :cool

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

word_on_a_wing

Thanks, I had missed it. The 30 second clip appeared elsewhere but hadn't heard the whole interview.

So the Hyde Park concert footage filmed by Tim Pope is being mixed, with a view to be released! That's news I didn't know :)  There have been several concerts filmed over these last few years, and I'm glad one will be surfacing soon(ish).
👍
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

Ulrich

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on December 18, 2018, 12:53:22
So the Hyde Park concert footage filmed by Tim Pope is being mixed, with a view to be released! That's news I didn't know :)  There have been several concerts filmed over these last few years, and I'm glad one will be surfacing soon(ish).

Together with the South America dvd and the Cure documentary for sure... or maybe not...  ;)

word_on_a_wing

An optimistic guess... I'm feeling the documentary & Hyde Park concert footage have a good chance at release.  With both of these they were doing editing or mixing, which from my understanding is well into things.
I think with some of the others they were filmed, but didn't progress from there into doing anything with the footage towards release

...just my view, not sure if it's right though :)

dsanchez

More on the new album (missed this interview), and sad news in Robert's family (thanks @chemicaloverload for the heads up):

QuoteIt's very much on the darker side of the spectrum. I lost my mother and my father and my brother recently, and obviously it had an effect on me. It's not relentlessly doom and gloom. It has soundscapes on it, like 'Disintegration', I suppose. I was trying to create a big palette, a big wash of sound."

QuoteThe working title was 'Live From the Moon', because I was enthralled by the 50th anniversary of the Apollo landing in the summer. We had a big moon hanging in the studio and lunar-related stuff lying around. I've always been a stargazer

More here: https://www.nme.com/news/music/robert-smith-the-cure-new-album-family-death-live-from-the-moon-2542696
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Sorry to hear about Robert's loss.  :1f62a:

Good that there's still talk about the new album, gives me hope it'll be out before Xmas 2020 (so I won't have to eat my old hat)...

word_on_a_wing

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on October 03, 2019, 10:14:50Sorry to hear about Robert's loss.  :1f62a:

Good that there's still talk about the new album, gives me hope it'll be out before Xmas 2020 (so I won't have to eat my old hat)...

I found a nice hat for you, @Ulrich - but I don't think you will have to eat it!  :)

Isn't this exciting?  And not just the hat, the forthcoming album too.  ;)  I know exactly what it feels like to sit on a piece of work and keep going over it with a fine-tooth comb incessantly before finally submitting it.  And then the real joke is, at least for me, that after I've submitted it, I'll go back over it again, and find at least one thing I want to change, that I somehow didn't find before!   :-D

The perils of creativity, and high standards.  :happy

It's a pity there's no hiding-under-a-chair emoji here.  Because I was going to say, I hope the cover art on this one is nice!
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on October 04, 2019, 04:56:28Isn't this exciting?  And not just the hat, the forthcoming album too.  ;) 

Well at the sight of this hat, I'm not overly excited about eating it (hairs at the bottom etc.)... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Quote from: SueC on October 04, 2019, 04:56:28I know exactly what it feels like to sit on a piece of work and keep going over it with a fine-tooth comb incessantly before finally submitting it.  And then the real joke is, at least for me, that after I've submitted it, I'll go back over it again, and find at least one thing I want to change...

Well obviously Robert did/does the same thing with "4:13 Dream" and the "new" version of it still hasn't made it out yet...
Quote from: undefinedYou played the new songs 'It Can Never Be The Same' and 'Step Into The Light' at Meltdown. Will they be on your next album?

"No, there is a second album that accompanies the '4:13 Dream' album, which I was trying to get ready for the 10th anniversary last year, but I never managed it because things got in the way.  But it's virtually done. It's another 13 songs that were left over from the sessions. That will come out, probably for its 13th anniversary, because that seems obvious. Those were two of the leftover songs. Although I do really like them and we did discuss re-recording them with this line-up, everyone agreed that we'd rather just do songs that we'd written with this line-up. They're both on the DVD, although I got one of the lines wrong in 'It Can Never Be The Same', which really pissed me off, but there we are."

Read more at https://www.nme.com/music-interviews/robert-smith-exclusive-i-dont-want-to-look-back-on-the-cure-until-ive-finished-2552474#kS18Ew3cvr4ctbuE.99

(P.S. Well I'd always said here in the forum: "plans can change" - now Robert's saying "things got in the way", which expresses the same, just in other words...)