Favourite cure videos

Started by strange_as_angels, September 04, 2005, 22:56:18

Previous topic - Next topic

r1ghteousone

Lullaby's their best video - probably always will be.
Once they got Tim Pope on board things started picking...

Saanm

Pictures of you... so sweet...

Virpi

Charlotte Sometimes and Lullaby are my favourites.

Never Enough is a nightmare.

...cry like the stone white clown and stand lost forever in a happy crowd...

Poe

Quote from: Virpi on March 28, 2008, 20:50:34Never Enough is a nightmare.

...But in a good way, right? I mean, Robert crawling out behind the little stage, and then flashing his chubby lady legs...all lovely moments. Nice setting too.

My all-time favorite must be Lullaby, although In Between Days is pretty close as well: an unbeatable happy-sad vibe in both the video and the song. Brilliant. Lullaby has a great atmosphere in it...Robert in bed wearing jammies, yeees...and oh, he gets eaten by sofa cushions at the end. Just brilliant.

Then there are the vids I enjoy for obvious fangirl reasons: Caterpillar (Rob's eyes and leather pants), Lovecats (Rob's dance), Mint Car (Rob's crazy smile and taking off his jacket) and Catch (Rob being Rob)....Well, what did you expect? I dare you all to judge me!

[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

japanesebaby

Quote from: Poe on March 29, 2008, 18:13:40he gets eaten by sofa cushions at the end.

hey come on, it was a mind-shattering special effect back in '89 - we were all just :shock:!

'charlotte sometimes' is one that i can't bear to watch. i've never understood why people think it's great. i think it's completely outdated and not only that, i bet it looked silly already back then when it was new. :blush:
for instance 'another journey by train' is a lot better video.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Poe

Quote from: japanesebaby on March 29, 2008, 23:39:23
hey come on, it was a mind-shattering special effect back in '89 - we were all just :shock:!

Ey, I wasn't dissin' the effect at all, I have the utmost respect for it, it's right up there with the muppet show...:-D Seriously though, I think it's quite good, actually. The way you only see the mouth of the spider swallowing Robert works for me...

I think there's a nice atmospheric 80's feel to Charlotte Sometimes, but no, I wouldn't say I've ever thought it was that good as a whole. It seems to mostly just be her running around in slow motion and Robert looking hard. Perhaps if you've read the book you appreciate it better...? Oh well. It's mostly the song that makes you want to watch it.

Another Journey by train, eh? Didn't know there was a video...I imagine it being quite similar to the video for Jumping someone else's train, which sure gives what it promises... :smth001 Where can I find this vid? Not on youtube or video.google, it seems...

sues777

Personally, my fave videos (today) are -
Catch - a beautiful, dreamy song in a gorgeous setting,
Fascination Street - one of my fave songs and there's just "something" about the video I love,
Friday I'm in Love - guaranteed to bring a smile to my face every time I see it (it's on my iPod in case I need cheering up during the day)
Lullaby - a classic video, what more is there to say?
Never Enough - just love it, and
Other Voices - great song, great look....

and poe, absolutely NO judgements from me!!   ;)
In fact, the talk of Robert in jammies has got me thinking - from memory he wears striped blue jammies in the Let's Go to Bed and Lullaby videos and the Siouxsie and the Banshees Play at Home video..is it the same set of jammies??  Hmm..me thinks it may be time to do some research....
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

Poe

Quote from: sues777 on March 30, 2008, 01:54:35
  and poe, absolutely NO judgements from me!!   ;)

Yes, I knew I'd be understood here... :smth043 Hehe.

Quote from: sues777 on March 30, 2008, 01:54:35is it the same set of jammies??

Ewww...do we really want to know? (and yes, I know he's probably washed them in between vids if it's true...). Well, sounds exciting. We're on to him, I can feel it!

Okay, I checked the vids, and don't the Play at home jammies look...bluer than the ones in Let's Go To Bed? Probably just the lighting though.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7F4TAmHYPnk&feature=PlayList&p=0D43D47089038479&index=80
(Rob's jammies in quite high resolution)

I think the case is settled: they're most likely the same jammies. Perhaps not the exact same ones, just the same design...Case closed. 8)

Erik

Hmmm,  no one picks pictures of you.

I love the playfulness and the odd setting -  so much trouble to go through,  and then plastic trees or something.  It was a surprising video,  that doesn't really match the song lyrics at all!

I think for sheer brilliance,  it's close to me,  especially when you look at the videos of 1985,  this was really colourful, inventive and dark,  with the claustrophobia etc...  I love that they play a comb!!,  and the lack of panic for such a bad situation

Lullaby is probably the one I watched most  you get a real performance out of Robert.  I like how he is stuck in a web in the wall corner,  just staring kind of angrily - and the clawing hands on Robert's chest is a bit creepy -  of course the effects are cheesy,  but I think this is intentional.  Like the spider's mouth at the end (my wife thinks it looks like something else, ahem).  also the clock ticking in time with Boris' drums!

I had never seen the Wrong Number video until lately - wow,  that was really botched.  I think this is their worst.

Erik

PAOKCURE

I adore the madness of "Never Enough". I also like a lot "Wrong Number" video  because it gets me more into the song.

But I think that the "Just Like Heaven" video is my favourite because this is the ultimate Cure image and the perfect Cure world... Up there, in heaven, above the raging sea, above all, dressed in black, dance with angels...
And then back again
I went away alone with nothing left but faith

revolt

"Close to Me" is their most brilliant video, I think. Really clever and funny. But most of the videos directed by Tim Pope are good, including "Boys Don't Cry", "In Between Days", etc. I also like the "Charlotte Sometimes" and "The Hanging Garden" videos, which are somewhat more amateurish but still manage to convey some of the mystery in those songs...

GreenGhost

A Forest, Charlotte Sometimes, Close to Me, and Lovesong!
Just love the imagery in all these.
Well...Close to Me is just hilarious!
and the past is taunting
fear of ghosts
is forcing me apart

www.chimneysweeprecords.com

wish-man

1 - Alt. End  :smth023
2 - Friday I'm In Love
3 - In Between Days

and Perfect Boy is good, but now one of my fav's. I like Porl there... very nice looking!  :D
and the way the rain comes down thats how I feel inside...

B-Flower

Well, I'm ashamed but I coudn't watch the Perfect Boy video  :oops: :( Porl is really scary there! :shock:

My favourite videos:
1. Pictures of You - dreamy and funny, I always have this warm feeling in my chest after seeing it...
2. Wrong Number - very scary but in the good way!
3. A Letter to Elise - simple and very sad, makes me cry
4. The Hanging Garden
5. Alt.end
How time will heal, make me forget?!
YOU PROMISED ME!!!

mint car

Lullaby - it was my first video which I saw from the cure :D and still it is my fav  cure video  :smth023
[i]...sleep sweet child the moon will change your mind...[/i]