Started by japanesebaby, January 04, 2006, 23:13:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Sussex

The cover of Boys Don't Cry from Benalova!!  :smth093
"Thick As Shit"

Wild

Quote from: doubt on January 06, 2006, 01:54:26
Razorblades - Boys Don't Cry (on MTV Icon) :smt078

Oh My God what a shame to destroy the song like they did, and they were in front of the cure playing this...  :?

The same !!!
:smth011

KingOfSomeIsland

yeah i really hate Katie Mellua's version of Just Like Heaven

EDIT: and as much as i love the Smashing Pumpkins, James Iha's cover of A Night Like This physically hurts to listen to...

Carnage Visor

SO far...all of them! I haven't heard one band yet that can emulate the spirit and the beauty of a Cure song...they either tone it down until it's duller than dull, or they pump it up until it loses all melody and sophistication and is reduced to grumbling guitars and shouting!

Blink 182 cannot play CURE music right...

Soxguy

Quote from: Joe on January 09, 2006, 15:37:25
Yeah, that was awful.

Of course, there is also the infamous 311 cover of "Lovesong"  :shock:

as a Nebraskan i gotta give it up for Omaha's very own 311.  thats a pretty decent cover of "Lovesong".
"...Ambition in the back of a black Car"

lostflower4

Quote from: Soxguy on August 16, 2007, 23:02:28
Quote from: Joe on January 09, 2006, 15:37:25
Yeah, that was awful.

Of course, there is also the infamous 311 cover of "Lovesong"  :shock:

as a Nebraskan i gotta give it up for Omaha's very own 311.  thats a pretty decent cover of "Lovesong".

I have to admit that I thought their cover was decent. Actually pretty true to the original, just with a reggae vibe.

Well, I've heard MUCH worse! (see the first page of this thread for an example)

ROGUE

Guess could be worse than 311 lovesong   ~ I think i liked it, and maybe it was Friday im in love, by Dryden That i didn't like.
:smth017
Its hard to do better than The Cure do, thats for sure. :smth014  {bla bla bla - bla bla bla- my translation for the day.  :D

silversand

I would say AFI - Just like heaven (they've ruined it!!!) and Nena with Friday i'm in love, Blank & Jones
with A Forest (okay it was a collaboration with Robert, but they ruined the song anyway)

Yes, your absolutely right ROGUE that it's hard to do better than The Cure do!!    :smth023

Carnage Visor

Very few bands can emulate The Cure's unique and intruiging sound. They might try, but to me it'll always sound like crap...even when they try to make it their own, they end up making it sound fake, ot having the same impact or emotion that Robert puts in...

The punk cover of "Boys Don't Cry" was awful and embarassing, it wasn't meant to be sang with rage or anarchistic overtones, it was meant to be sang in a sort of soft, almost apologeticly sad voice like Robert did originally. To me, it's always sounded like a kind of mournful...but the punk cover sounded emotionless, cheap...I can't explain.

There comes a certain time when a song can't be made "your own"...some songs have to be performed the way they were intended to be performed, otherwise they sound awkward and put-on, unnatural.

AFI's Hanging Garden sounded wrong somehow, I guess it's just one of those songs when any amount of change can ruin it...it's so perfect and pristine that it shouldn't be touched by just anyone...

Cure Freak

for me, this has to be it, even though Robert is singing here ,also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTqAqRGy5Qk
that band totally ruin it and I got the feeling that Rob wasn't happy with their playing, either.

japanesebaby

Quote from: Cure Freak on November 11, 2007, 17:39:14
for me, this has to be it, even though Robert is singing here ,also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTqAqRGy5Qk
that band totally ruin it and I got the feeling thaty Rob wasn't happy with their playing, either.

yeah that's freaking awful.  :oops:
it defies all reason why robert ever agreed to let those blink hosers murder the song and especially why he even wanted to humiliate himself by getting on stage with them and being part of the whole fiasco.
he must have been feeling a bit funny around that time or something... :smth100
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

silversand

I think Blink 182 ruined Boys don't cry. And the song is played too fast i think.
No, that is absolutely not my thing, sorry. It sounds awful   :smth009

Cure Freak

japanesebaby ~ couoldn't agree with you more.
But, I do believe he was disappointed in the performance of that band. Noticed, he left the stage very quickly.
silversand ~ yes, i agree.it was played way too fast.

Lady

[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

kissingcrimson

I actually couldn't stop laughing when I heard this cover of A forest, it's too harsh to call it terrible...the music is not bad, good sitar at the start...but when the vocals kick it's a little wrong.. strange....hmm bizzare

for your listening (belly dancing) pleasure,
http://www.ollibollywood.com/files/archive-8.html

click the link on the page Télécharger A Forest (Bollywood Remix)
'I'm in a carefully careless mess'