Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

placebo - battle for the sun

not quite sure what to think of it yet. a bit like with DM, i've never liked any placebo album as a whole although they have many strong tracks and they are a good live band for sure.
but at least it seems like molko's singing turning better by time, on this one there's more resonance in his voice than before.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

alwaysprayingforRAIN

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 12, 2009, 19:31:32

not quite sure what to think of it yet. a bit like with DM, i've never liked any placebo album as a whole although they have many strong tracks and they are a good live band for sure.
but at least it seems like molko's singing turning better by time, on this one there's more resonance in his voice than before.

i have a problem with his voice... whenever i hear placebo i think 'good song but i can't stand his voice'
quite sad.
i listened to the first single out of the new album (not sure if it's the best track though) and it's not so bad on there so you must be right about the resonance!
Say hello on a day like today
Say it every time you move
The way that you look at me now
Makes me wish i was you

japanesebaby

Quote from: alwaysprayingforRAIN on June 12, 2009, 19:35:56

i have a problem with his voice... whenever i hear placebo i think 'good song but i can't stand his voice'
quite sad.
i listened to the first single out of the new album (not sure if it's the best track though) and it's not so bad on there so you must be right about the resonance!

i've always had this same problem too. i was always really quite uninterested in them until i decided to go to see them live a few years ago - i really enjoyed that gig a lot so i somehow got over my problem with his voice too a bit after that. but never completely. i do like some of their older stuff, but i only listen to those songs on live recordings, just because the older the studio material is, the more annoyingly nasal and squeeky his voice sounds to me. anyway, they are quite decent live, worth seeing in any case.

by the way i saw molko saying in some interview lately that the only bands still above them/bigger than them are U2 and rolling stones. eh?
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Trust...

Hey JB,

I didn't know you can appreciate Placebo? Maybe we have more in commen than we think sometimes  :-D

I have it also, my HB bought me it, last Monday 8th of June. I must say, it's the only album from Placebo that I have until now. The first time I saw the clip on MTV from "The Bitter End" (when I was hopefully waiting to see maybe The Cure sometimes  :-D) I thought by myself what a special voice and a beautiful sound and then I discovered the first time Placebo.

The second song I knew was "A song to say goodbye" and then I knew that I could love there music.

From the new album:

I like the songs actually all, but the favorits are: The Never Ending Why , Breathe Underwater, Julien.

I have the album with a 40 min during Making The Album dvd. Really nice to see how they work in the studio.
They have also a new drummer. He's only 22 years old, but WOW for that guy. He comes from California where he was playing in the punk/rock band Evaline. I could write more ... maybe I make better a Placebo topic  :-D

Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

crowbi_wan

fiction

Placebo - Placebo. Current track: 36 Degrees

You got me inspired (as always) and especially after me reading one of Swedens absolutely worst rewievers (markus larsson)totally fistfuck their latest album. This is a guy who just don´t know how to write a modest rewiev. Is there a release form any of those boring Swedish dinosaurs like Håkan Hellström, Ulf Lundell or Hives or any likewise boring international giants like U2, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones or any other band that other fellow rewievers like, like the overhyped Glasvegas you can bet your life on that this guy is there and kisses ass. I once red a rewiev of him inwhere he complaint about the artist given a much too long concert so that he (markus) missed his deadline. He didn´t wrote one single word about the concert itself.

But as he says himself in his latest rewiev about Placebo (see the translation below), he is good to have just as a tool of calibration. I found out that almost everything he dislike is either very interesting or very good. And 95 % of what he preferes is mere crap and mainstream greyscale in my oppinion.

Translation of rewiev from Aftonbladet, June 6:th.

Placebo´s only mission is to show humanity exactly how crappy alternative contemporate white rock from Great Brittain can be. As a low water mark they have been a nessecary point of comparison for six albums now. We have to know how bad popmusic can be and how it sounds at its absolute lowest point just to calibrate our rewievs. And when it comes to this we can really rely on Placebo. When everything comes around it´s all about grown people playing teenagers with cajal make up. "Battle for the Sun" makes all those expectations comes true. Here we have Placebo sending Smashing Pumpkins stiff pale vampire rock straight to the morgue. The music is sterile, stiff and dead.

again and again and again and again and again and...

fiction

Quote from: alwaysprayingforRAIN on June 12, 2009, 19:35:56

I think Molko´s voice is the perfect link between P music and their lyrics. It´s funny how different one can think of voices that are a little bit out of the ordinary.

I haven´t heard their latest album yet but I got the first three albums and Meds. After reading markus larssons rewiev (see post above this) I think that I´ll have to get it though.

Add: I just went downtown and bought the "Battle for the Sun" and I think it sounds great after the first listening.

jbud1980

sin in my heart-siouxsie and the banshees

Trust...

fiction

Dig A Little Deeper with The Cherokees. I´m in a raw 60´s mood this close to my vacation. Just two more days...

fiction

Oh Sweet Je...s, this is the most interesting piece of music I´ve heard in many good years

Trust...

Nirvana - Come As You Are

from DJ Robert Smith  :D http://drop.io/ChainofFlowers/asset/robert-smith-triple-j-dj-oct-14th-2000-rm

Thanks a lot to Graig from COF  :smth023

alwaysprayingforRAIN

Goo Goo Dolls -  Iris  :smth020 my soundtrack to a wonderful day  :-D
Say hello on a day like today
Say it every time you move
The way that you look at me now
Makes me wish i was you

fiction

The Roger Sisters and their "better than the original" version of Shadow Play.

fiction

I´m not listening to a cover-collection but for the moment the roaring sounds of Seedling and their absolutely "1000-times better than the original"-version of Ms Jackson is bouncing crazily whitin this bunker of concrete.