Insane Entertainment Especially For Cure Fans

Started by SueC, July 28, 2019, 06:11:21

Previous topic - Next topic

word_on_a_wing

Whoops sorry about that. I had searched for the it on YouTube because I'm not a big fan of Facebook and didn't want to post a link from there. Alas I couldn't find it anywhere else, so that's why I posted that one. Glad you could see it :)

Alas .... I find this an interesting word, and I wonder where it comes from.  My mind creates the following story:

Scotland a few centuries ago... person A is waiting for a (young male) person B. Grumbles to themselves "where is that laddie", someone walks in and person A
feels optimistic, then realises "oh, A Lass"  (I.e. it was a girl, not a laddie"). ...and that is surely the origins of the word Alas?! 🙃
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

SueC

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on October 17, 2020, 09:44:18Whoops sorry about that. I had searched for the it on YouTube because I'm not a big fan of Facebook and didn't want to post a link from there. Alas I couldn't find it anywhere else, so that's why I posted that one. Glad you could see it :)

Thank you kindly. :)  If we couldn't laugh, we would cry, no?

Quote from: undefinedAlas .... I find this an interesting word, and I wonder where it comes from.  My mind creates the following story:

Scotland a few centuries ago... person A is waiting for a (young male) person B. Grumbles to themselves "where is that laddie", someone walks in and person A
feels optimistic, then realises "oh, A Lass"  (I.e. it was a girl, not a laddie"). ...and that is surely the origins of the word Alas?! 🙃

Hahaha, it seems you got handed a word-playing brain too!  Hours of amusement!  :lol:

So is it time to bring out the old "name" jokes?

Like... what do you call a man who lies on the floor?  (Matt.  ...sorry, @MAtT and & @Matti :angel)

What do you call a woman with one leg shorter than the other?  (Eileen.  As it happens, a good friend and adopted sister is called exactly this and she thinks it's very funny.  And I should have been a lawyer with a name like that, of course... and as I often point out to my spouse, Brett is German for "plank" bwahahaha!  :beaming-face)

What do you call a man with leaves in his pocket? (Russell.)

What do you call a woman standing in the centre of a tennis court?  (Annette.)

What do you call a man with a shovel?  (Doug.)

What do you call a man without a shovel?  (Douglas.)

What do you call a man floating in the ocean?  (Bob.  Sorry, Mr Smith, but it kind of fits the imagery in Underneath The Stars as well, bwahahaha.  And while we're at it, does anyone on Curefans need a good signature line?  How about "Bob's your uncle?"  It's not taken yet...  :winking_tongue)

What do you call a man who's been nailed to a wall?  (Art.  Of course...)

Anyone want to add to the list?   :angel
SueC is time travelling

SueC

We have just laughed ourselves silly over this article - one of the most hilarious reads on the subject ever.  :lol:

Quote"Spice up a long-term relationship – by telling each other your most secret sexual dreams," sex experts say. Absolutely never do this. It is terrible advice. If you've got by for 15 years without telling each other about your thing for Martina Navratilova, don't disrupt your delicate sexual ecosystem by suddenly throwing it into the mix on your birthday, when you're pissed, in your knickers, holding a tennis racket. It'll ruin Wimbledon for ever, for a start – and it tends to bring awful consequences. Unless you happen to be married to one of Britain's great character actors – Paddy Considine, say, or Toby Jones – suggesting role-play is likely to be an agony you will never forget. Your average 45-year-old husband's ability to convincingly play – without rehearsal or script – a hot pirate or sexually-curious-yet-repressed Victorian doctor is likely to be quite low.

The role you will end up playing, after half an hour of self-conscious Scottish accents and hat-wearing, is that of a frustrated Hollywood director, saying, "Let me tell you a bit about Dr Sexington's backstory. I think it would help give you more range", while your husband sadly detumesces and wishes he was in Equity, so he could make a complaint about hostile working conditions.
SueC is time travelling

SueC

A friend stayed with us last week and took quite a few film clips around the place.  I thought this one was particularly funny:

So many times we've seen Don Quixote like this and wondered if he had died... he does an incredibly good impression of a corpse when he's asleep...

PS: If anyone particularly likes this animal stuff, I do more of that here - and you could also contribute to our Animal Thread on CF!  :)
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Looooooook!  :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Who knew Robert Smith has been moonlighting in producing geological information signs in the German language?   :angel

You cannot view this attachment.

You can't see this if you're not logged in!   :P
SueC is time travelling

SueC

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: undefinedGETTING blind drunk with a mate on a freezing cold park bench is now the best thing to do at the weekend thanks to lockdown.
https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/lifestyle/getting-pissed-in-the-park-on-cider-making-a-comeback-20201120202748

Guess what? Last night, at -2°Celsius I heard some young people outside near a bench being noisy (probably getting drunk)...  :1f62e:

SueC

Hahaha, @Ulrich:rofl

I can never relate to that - "nothing better to do than get pissed thanks to (insert excuse)"...

So many thousands of things to do on this planet, lockdown or not... even locked into your room, you can read, listen to music, learn an instrument, write letters to friends, write the next War & Peace, play Scrabble, learn to draw/paint/sculpt/knit/weave/spin yarn/etc, contemplate your navel, have a sort-out of your stuff, do handstands, meditate, belly dance, study online, [insert another thousand options here...]

And if you're free to explore the outdoors, add another googleplex of possible activities (especially if you're not in a city).

People! :P
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on November 23, 2020, 05:07:55I can never relate to that - "nothing better to do than get pissed thanks to (insert excuse)"..

Keep in mind that "The Daily Mash" is a satirical website. ;)

Of course the article found its counterpart in reality, when I heard these young people "celebrating" outside in the cold (I guess you need to be young to enjoy drinking at -2°)...

I wasn't so amused when I had to pick up a broken wine bottle on the sidewalk. :unamused:

SueC

Yeah, point about the satire, and isn't comedy best sometimes when it's barely distinguishable from reality?  (Like Dave Allen and his jokes about people...)

Broken bottles are not fun - I distinctly remember a classmate of mine in middle school nearly slicing her big toe off on one that some idiot had thrown in the water, when we all went swimming in the weir on a school excursion - she was white as a ghost coming out of the water and bleeding everywhere, and had to be pressure-bandaged and carted off to hospital.  And it's so common, broken bottles everywhere, not to mention all the darn discarded bottles and cans of mostly booze in the rural roadsides in Australia - where drinking while driving is de rigeur...

Your young people remind me of a young neighbour of ours when we were still living in Albany, coming back late at night when he'd turned 18... and we woke after midnight to the sound of his violent retching as he was throwing up all over the (shared) front lawn... just lovely. 🤢 🤮

I suppose the lawn benefitted... fertiliser... assuming he also ate something... 💩
SueC is time travelling

SueC

...I really hope the chicken is house-trained!  :P

SueC is time travelling

SueC

Pavlov was having a drink in a pub when the phone rang.  He said, "That reminds me - I've got to feed my dogs!"
SueC is time travelling

SueC

I had to dig this up again...a classic.

by Alexander Calandra - an article from Current Science, Teacher's Edition, 1964.

Some time ago, I received a call from a colleague who asked if I would be the referee on the grading of an examination question. It seemed that he was about to give a student a zero for his answer to a physics question, while the student claimed he should receive a perfect score and would do so if the system were not set up against the student. The instructor and the student agreed to submit this to an impartial arbiter, and I was selected.

The Barometer Problem

I went to my colleague's office and read the examination question, which was, "Show how it is possible to determine the height of a tall building with the aid of a barometer."

The student's answer was, "Take the barometer to the top of the building, attach a long rope to it, lower the barometer to the street, and then bring it up, measuring the length of the rope. The length of the rope is the height of the building."

Now, this is a very interesting answer, but should the student get credit for it? I pointed out that the student really had a strong case for full credit, since he had answered the question completely and correctly. On the other hand, if full credit were given, it could well contribute to a high grade for the student in his physics course. A high grade is supposed to certify that the student knows some physics, but the answer to the question did not confirm this. With this in mind, I suggested that the student have another try at answering the question. I was not surprised that my colleague agreed to this, but I was surprised that the student did.

Acting in terms of the agreement, I gave the student six minutes to answer the question, with the warning that the answer should show some knowledge of physics. At the end of five minutes, he had not written anything. I asked if he wished to give up, since I had another class to take care of, but he said no, he was not giving up. He had many answers to this problem; he was just thinking of the best one. I excused myself for interrupting him, and asked him to please go on. In the next minute, he dashed off his answer, which was:

"Take the barometer to the top of the building and lean over the edge of the roof. Drop the barometer, timing its fall with a stopwatch. Then, using the formula S = 1/2 at2, calculate the height of the building."

At this point, I asked my colleague if he would give up. He conceded and I gave the student almost full credit. In leaving my colleague's office, I recalled that the student had said he had other answers to the problem, so I asked him what they were.

"Oh, yes," said the student. "There are many ways of getting the height of a tall building with the aid of a barometer. For example, you could take the barometer out on a sunny day and measure the height of the barometer, the length of its shadow, and the length of the shadow of the building, and by the use of simple proportion, determine the height of the building."

"Fine," I said. "And the others?"

"Yes," said the student. "There is a very basic measurement method that you will like. In this method, you take the barometer and begin to walk up the stairs. As you climb the stairs, you mark off the length of the barometer along the wall. You then count the number of marks, and this will give you the height of the building in barometer units. A very direct method.

"Of course, if you want a more sophisticated method, you can tie the barometer to the end of a string, swing it as a pendulum, and determine the value of 'g' at the street level and at the top of the building. From the difference between the two values of 'g', the height of the building can, in principle, be calculated."

Finally, he concluded, "If you don't limit me to physics solutions to this problem, there are many other answers, such as taking the barometer to the basement and knocking on the superintendent's door. When the superintendent answers, you speak to him as follows: 'Dear Mr. Superintendent, here I have a very fine barometer. If you will tell me the height of this building, I will give you this barometer.'"

At this point, I asked the student if he really didn't know the expected answer to the problem. He admitted that he did, but that he was fed up with college instructors trying to teach him how to think.
SueC is time travelling

SueC

SueC is time travelling