Trump farewell address

Started by dsanchez, January 20, 2021, 09:06:01

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Misleading title, I expected to find a (postal) address to send my "farewell" message to him.  :disappointed:
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on January 20, 2021, 10:11:25Misleading title, I expected to find a (postal) address to send my "farewell" message to him.  :disappointed:

I think "Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" would serve the purpose here.  :angel

And I think It is going to reside in Florida again tomorrow, so you could try that.  :winking_tongue
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on January 20, 2021, 10:37:20I think "Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" would serve the purpose here.  :angel

I was thinking more along the lines of "F**k off and never come back!".  :winking_tongue
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

As usual, if you feel the need to wash... :angel

Of course, after 4 years of the Resident Rump, you may feel the need to scrub all over, wash your hair, brush your teeth, gargle your throat, clean your fingernails and toenails, and check for belly button lint.  I don't recommend disinfectants though, be nice to your beneficial microflora.  And the best "disinfectant" for stuff like this is a good book, some decent music up loud, love, kindness, etc.  :)

SueC is time travelling

SueC

Well, here's a good farewell to all that!

Quote(CNN)Donald Trump's era in Washington is over.

The all-consuming, camera-hungry, truth-starved era that fixated the nation and exposed its darkest recesses officially concludes at noon Wednesday. The President, addled and mostly friendless, will end his time in the capital a few hours early to spare himself the humiliation of watching his successor be sworn in.

He departs a city under militarized fortification meant to prevent a repeat of the riot he incited earlier this month. He leaves office with more than 400,000 Americans dead from a virus he chose to downplay or ignore.

For his opponents, Trump's departure amounts to a blissful lifting of a four-year pall on American life and the end to a tortured stretch of misconduct and indignities. Even many of Trump's onetime supporters are sighing with relief that the White House, and the psychology of its occupant, may no longer rest at the center of the national conversation.

At least some of the 74 million Americans who voted for Trump in November are sad to see him go. Scores of them attempted an insurrection at the US Capitol this month to prevent it from happening at all. The less violent view him as a transformative President whose arrival heralded an end to political correctness and whose exit marks a return to special treatment for immigrants, gays and minorities.

One thing Trump's presidency undoubtedly accomplished: revealing in stark fashion the racist, hate-filled, violent undercurrents of American society that many had chosen previously to ignore. It became impossible to overlook as Trump's presidency concluded with violent riots of White nationalists and neo-Nazis at the Capitol.

The violent mob attack on the citadel of American democracy capped a presidency built upon disregard for democratic norms, antagonizing government institutions and willful ignorance of the far right's violent and racist tendencies. It will amount to the lasting legacy of a President whose blatant neglect of the truth, in ways both casual and immense, drove the nation to the brink.

There is no evidence the President has reckoned with the consequences of his actions; the opposite appears to be true. He came to regret a concession video he had recorded at the urging of his family and advisers, who told him he was seriously close to being removed from office. In his first comments after the riot, he refused blame for it and insisted, falsely, that nobody believed his words ahead of it were at fault.

The events caused an already reclusive President, who had mostly given up running the country after losing the election, to retreat further. His near-silence was helped along by a permanent ban from Twitter, his long-preferred method of communication, a move that propelled him to rage.

Freshly impeached for a second time, this time with support from a few Republicans, Trump ends his term with the lowest approval rating of his tenure. Republicans remain divided on whether he represents the future of their party. He's been shunned by senior leaders in Congress, who were left aghast at his incitement of a mob that sent them running for safety inside the Capitol.

In his final days, Trump has been surrounded by a shrinking circle of associates, many of them decades younger. Old friends who used to speak with him regularly said they can no longer reach him -- both literally, because he is refusing their calls, and figuratively, because those who are patched through describe a man lost in denial and detached from reality.

He even had a falling-out with his vice president, Mike Pence, whose characteristic fealty was severed after he heard nothing from Trump while mobs appeared to be hunting him during the insurrection attempt. The two men went for days without speaking after Trump uttered a vulgar curse because Pence refused to unilaterally overturn the election results.

More here:  https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/20/politics/donald-trump-leaves-white-house/index.html?utm_content=2021-01-20T11%3A32%3A04

SueC is time travelling