Proposal to create a touristic route about The Cure in Crawley

Started by dsanchez, October 26, 2018, 13:36:08

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

After the visit of some us to Crawley last 21st October, as announced, we just sent by post this proposal to the Crawley Council, asking them to consider the creation of a touristic route as a way to celebrate The Cure's heritage. I will let you know once I hear from the Council.

Special thanks to our @chemicaloverload for proofreading (and improving) the letter :)

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quick reaction from the Crawley Council!:

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

chemicaloverload

Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

Wendyly74

Wow, this is a great initiative - let me know if I can help with this somehow in the future!

dsanchez

Quote from: Wendyly74 on October 27, 2018, 18:30:38
Wow, this is a great initiative - let me know if I can help with this somehow in the future!

Thank you Wendy. For now, the best help we can get for this initiative to become real is to spread the word. Additionally, we have compiled a list of all the places related to the band in Crawley http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=8828.0 and if you think we have missed any, we would like to know.

Welcome to curefans.com!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: chemicaloverload on October 26, 2018, 15:26:31
Ah, lovely, they have responded!

They also responded by email. It's a start. I am dreaming that they will inaugurate the route one day and Robert will go to the opening... and of course I will go there too :P Hope that day arrives!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Got a reply from Crawley council after two years! I am planning to propose an online meeting - if some of you can/want to attend, it would be great! Send me a PM if that's the case.

QuoteHello

I hope you are well.

I have been forwarded the attached letter from yourselves and wondered whether it would be possible to meet with you in the New Year to discuss this further to see if this is something that is feasible or whether there are other ways the band could be celebrated?

I would also like to invite a representative from Crawley Museum and Creative Crawley to the meeting, as this may be something that they are interested in or may have ideas on different ways the band can be celebrated in Crawley.

Please can you send me a few dates for the second week in January onwards and I will check the availability of the other groups to find a suitable date.

Kind regards
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on December 18, 2020, 18:42:03Got a reply from Crawley council after two years!

Better late than never! Guess they're bored during the pandemic, eh?  :1f636:
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

Update: The meeting will happen next month on a date TBC!:

QuoteMany thanks for your email.  Unfortunately I am unable to make the 14th and some of the individuals who I would like to have at the meeting are now on leave until after Christmas.  Would it be ok if I contacted you in the first week of January when they are back with some potential dates in January to see if we can find one that works?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Lol replied on Twitter!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

We will be meeting people from Crawley Council on 5th February. @chemicaloverload and me will be attending. We will be preparing a presentation for you to review and comment in advance :)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

The moment has arrived! today we will be meeting the Crawley council to talk about The Cure! Please review our presentation and share your feedback!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hVV79VSIpBGpcTGbq_3JC7JQxNOMmCs2/view
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

chemicaloverload

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well! These are the notes from the meeting today with members from Crawley council, Arts and Culture, and the Crawley Museum curator. Firstly, the people we met with were very engaging and excited about the idea of having a more permanent link to The Cure in Crawley. They are receptive to many of the ideas that the fans put forward. Some points;

A small permanent exhibition of The Cure in Crawley museum. One of the problems they have is that the previous items they had were on loan. Therefore, they would need some memorabilia donated which need to have a link to Crawley and be historic rather than recent for example;
o   pictures fans may have from attending gigs in Crawley
o   tickets from old gigs in Crawley
o   musical items; drumsticks, guitars and so on
o   old posters with a Crawley link

They would consider putting up a plaque at the pub 'The Rocket', now named something else, however, as it's private property, they would have to make enquiries. We had a giggle about the blue plaque scheme that the UK have, but to get a blue plaque, you have to die first....so, none of that thank you very much

A mural that was suggested by one of the fans on twitter, but included as an example in the power point (Glasgow, Sir Billy Connolly 75th Birthday Murals), there are issues regarding planning permission, funding, design process etc. It was suggested that if fans were to donate to it, the funding portion of it would be covered, however, the planning permission process is something they would have to undertake and is quite complex, but would be willing to look into it

The Tourist Route, something I think many of us are passionate about, it would have to be explored in greater detail so to ensure that there are no private properties included (of course!) but this is something they are interested in doing. During the exhibition in 2018, there was a person who did walking tours of local points of interest related to The Cure. It would be good to connect with this person so if you know who it was or is you, get in touch as your knowledge would be very much appreciated.

The Crawley Museum is interested in having some books associated with The Cure, they of course have Lol's book but would like more suggestions so they can create a collection for visitors.

So, if you think you could help out with any of these points, don't be shy 😊
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves