4:13 Dream

Started by KingOfSomeIsland, October 20, 2008, 19:37:40

Previous topic - Next topic

KingOfSomeIsland

Yup the new album 4:13 Dream leaked, and I have to say its quite good. And before people start tearing me apart I already have a vinyl copy preordered so i'm only kinda stealing haha ;)

From what I can tell the mixing is much better than on the singles. Especially on The Only One and Sleep When I'm Dead. You can hear the instruments alot better and Roberts voice is lower in the mix. I can hear stuff I diddnt even know was in the song. After hearing this I finally realize what the hell everyone was talking about.

Unfortunately A Boy I Never Knew didnt make the cut, but Baby Rag Dog Book did, only retitled as "It's Over". It makes sense seeing as the album is mostly short and upbeat pop songs. Aside from Underneath the Stars the album is probably most similar to The Head on the Door. Overall its a good album, much better than the last one. Id rate it 4/5.  :smth023

Janko

I'm glad you like the new album.
So the brooding songs on the second "dark" album remain to be seen...

As for leaking, I'm pretty sure it leaked late enough.
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

drowning

oh my god !

i LOVE this new cure !
i am so sorry, that i heard the rome versions.
its worth everyday we were waiting.
robert, if this is your last album ( which i don´t hope ) this is one of the best.

scream, is 100000000000 times better than the rome version, and switch ..

oh my god, i am so happy !

patitodark

Yes, the mix is much better than in the singles.
And I compare it to The Head on the door too.
Their best work since Wish.
:smth020

p.s I already ordered the vinyl version  :smth023

japanesebaby

Quote from: patitodark on October 20, 2008, 22:43:34

that sounds like good news... 

(unless you're all just kidding me on purpose or something? ;))
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

patitodark

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 20, 2008, 22:45:22

that sounds like good news... 

(unless you're all just kidding me on purpose or something? ;))

And I´d like to add that it also reminds me to the mood on many of the Wish b-sides... probably Porl´s guitar effects. PORL saved The Cure!

C´mon Japanesebaby JOIN THE CLUB! don´t wait!  :)

Drums are not as  bad as before, I must be fair and say that Jason did an acceptable job here (but must improve in the sound department. That snare drum sucks!), but anyway I´d love to hear Boris in the band again... probably in the next album? (after the Dark album of course)

japanesebaby

Quote from: patitodark on October 20, 2008, 22:49:22
PORL saved The Cure!

amen! 

Quote from: patitodark on October 20, 2008, 22:49:22
C´mon Japanesebaby JOIN THE CLUB! don´t wait!  :)

"...and lead me not into temptation..."

:-P

wish-man

SORRY GUYS, BUT IMHO... THE CURE STUDIO ALBUM SUCKS!!!!!! FOR F*CK SAKE, LIVE ALBUM IS MUCH-MUCH BETTER!!! JUST A FEW SONGS OF STUDIO IS A BIT BETTER THAN LIVE, BUT NEVERTHLESS ALBUM SHITTY...EW...

BUT ITS JUST MY OPINION. MAYBE YOU COULD FIND OUT SOMETHING IN THIS ALBUM, BUT NOT ME...

...BUT MAYBE I'LL CHANGE MY OPINION...WHO KNOWS

PS: BTW PORL IS GOOD ON STAGE, BUT SUCKS IN STUDIO.
and the way the rain comes down thats how I feel inside...

Harvestry of Ghosts

Anyone who thinks the album sounds better than the singles needs to clean the wax out of their ears. The only difference is that the volume is lower & if anyone doesn't believe it just use something simple like mp3gain to match volume levels between the two & then listen again. I LOVE the songs themselves... but the quality is unfortunately quite horrible. I noticed it within the first 5 seconds of Underneath the Stars.

Robert!!!! How could you allow this to happen!?!?!?!?!?

Another victim of "the loudness wars". I can't for the life of me believe that Robert wants it this way. I can't believe that he wants his music destroyed by this.

lostflower4

:smth020

p.s I already ordered the vinyl version  :smth023

Well, I disagree. The album sounds almost exactly like the singles, with that plastic-like and distorted-at-times sound, along with the mega volume compression.

Underneath the Stars is kind of bearable as it has a lot of quiet parts, but then it gets really LOUD at the end and the pain begins.  :smth100

I had to stop listening in the middle of The Only One (the second song, and the most annoying thing The Cure has ever released).

Hopefully I'll get to hear the rest someday, but I'm soooo glad that I got to hear the complete album from the Rome 2008 broadcast first, because that version gives a proper first impression of the songs and in a decent quality.

I pretty much already knew this would be the case, so that's why I didn't frantically try to avoid hearing the live versions like so many of the rest of you.

I'm very angry and disappointed now. Looking forward to the tour, I guess?  (assuming there will be one)

Yep, audience recordings of the new songs will blow the album away.

Anyone else see something wrong with this?

P.S.  Ross Robinson would have done a much better job!  :shock:

japanesebaby

Quote from: Harvestry of Ghosts on October 21, 2008, 04:19:00
Anyone who thinks the album sounds better than the singles needs to clean the wax out of their ears. The only difference is that the volume is lower & if anyone doesn't believe it just use something simple like mp3gain to match volume levels between the two & then listen again. I LOVE the songs themselves... but the quality is unfortunately quite horrible. I noticed it within the first 5 seconds of Underneath the Stars.

Another victim of "the loudness wars". I can't for the life of me believe that Robert wants it this way. I can't believe that he wants his music destroyed by this.

oh dear, so it's just as as feared. :( :(

i suppose there's little hope that the vinyl version will be any better because it'll probably be sourced from the cd master too, just like the recent shitty vinyl singles were.

by the way, 'red hot chili peppers' have been notorious for totally volume-destroyed cd albums for years, ever since 'californication'.  but their latest ('stadium arcadium') was also released in a vinyl box set which was mastered separately, truly mastered for vinyl. the cd version was severely volume-destroyed but the vinyl is truly worth one's money, thanks to steve hoffman's remastering.
just see here:
Wikipedia: Waveform of song "Snow ((Hey Oh))" by Red Hot Chili Peppers, in a comparison: top is the CD version (Vlado Meller), bottom is the LP version (Steve Hoffman).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_Arcadium#Criticism_regarding_production

i'd really really wish that the cure would at least do something like that.
but i'm afraid it's a fool's hope this time... :S

by the way does anybody know who actually remastered the new stuff? who's behind that monkey-job?  :evil:

lostflower4

Quote from: Harvestry of Ghosts on October 21, 2008, 04:19:00

Well said. I honestly didn't even see your post above mine, but we basically wrote the same thing.  :lol:

But let me just reiterate that it's not just the "loudness war" sound that ruins it. It just plain sounds bad too — I think harsh is the simplest way to describe it.

As you said, you can tell things aren't going to be good from the beginning of Underneath the Stars. It just sounds very tinny and cheap, even before the song builds up and gets louder.

Wasn't this new stuff mastered by a guy called "Big Bass Brian?"  Umm ... Where's the big bass here?  :smth017m

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Gardner

Weird, because I'm sure I'm sure I've heard some of his work before (stuff that didn't sound like crap).

revolt

Quote from: lostflower4 on October 21, 2008, 07:20:26

P.S.  Ross Robinson would have done a much better job!  :shock:

Oh, the irony of it!  :-D By the way, I have always "known" that there would be a time when some Cure fans would actually start to view Robinson in a better light...

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 21, 2008, 09:04:31
by the way, 'red hot chili peppers' have been notorious for totally volume-destroyed cd albums for years, ever since 'californication'.  but their latest ('stadium arcadium') was also released in a vinyl box set which was mastered separately, truly mastered for vinyl. the cd version was severely volume-destroyed but the vinyl is truly worth one's money, thanks to steve hoffman's remastering.
just see here:
Wikipedia: Waveform of song "Snow ((Hey Oh))" by Red Hot Chili Peppers, in a comparison: top is the CD version (Vlado Meller), bottom is the LP version (Steve Hoffman).

That graphic is almost painful to watch, I can only imagine what the music does to your years...

Cure

is a 2nd dark album on the way??? :)
[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]