What is your opinion of these correct/incorrect song titles?

Started by Ryan, July 14, 2016, 01:27:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

As Cure fans, there are a handful of tagging frustrations we have because of contradicting song title stylisations. For example, "Hey You!" - in some places it has three exclamation marks like Hot Hot Hot!!!, but elsewhere like the 2006 remaster it just has the one.

So is it Hey You! or Hey You!!! ?

And is it How Beautiful You Are... or How Beautiful You Are ?

And is it Love Song or Lovesong ?

And is it In Between Days or Inbetween Days ?

And is it The Love Cats or The Lovecats ?

And is it Lament or La Ment ?

And is it Bird Mad Girl or Birdmad Girl ?

Furthermore, A Few Hours After This... has three dots at the end on the Join The Dots box set, but none printed on the actual In Between Days single.

Off To Sleep... from Lost Wishes, however, definitely has three dots printed on the cassette.

And the ultimate biggest bit of confusion is this! "Inbetween Days (Without You)" - https://www.discogs.com/Cure-InBetween-Days-Without-You/release/1786849

And then Robert goes and names a song Without You in 2008 as a b-side. *head explodes*

And let's not even mention "Christmas Without You"...
Remember the time that the sky went black
We waited alone on the sands
Remember the taste of the raging sea
But nobody held out their hands

Matti

Basically, I'd always go for the title that came with the original release:

- Hey You !!!
- How Beautiful You Are...
- Love Song
- Inbetween Days
- The Lovecats
- Lament
- Bird Mad Girl
- A Few Hours After This

I think that the only occasion where Inbetween Days got the (Without You) suffix was the US promo release, for whatever reason.

On a side note, there's Architecture & Morality by OMD which contains two consecutive songs originally both called Joan of Arc. The record company insisted of adding Maid of Orleans to the second one, which became a hit.

Getting song titles right is serious business, though. I always cringe when radio listeners call in on request shows saying "Can you please play Pink Floyd's biggest hit, The Wall, for me?"
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

Ryan

Quote from: Matti on July 14, 2016, 12:58:55
Basically, I'd always go for the title that came with the original release:

- Hey You !!!
- How Beautiful You Are...
- Love Song
- Inbetween Days
- The Lovecats
- Lament
- Bird Mad Girl
- A Few Hours After This

I think that the only occasion where Inbetween Days got the (Without You) suffix was the US promo release, for whatever reason.

On a side note, there's Architecture & Morality by OMD which contains two consecutive songs originally both called Joan of Arc. The record company insisted of adding Maid of Orleans to the second one, which became a hit.

Getting song titles right is serious business, though. I always cringe when radio listeners call in on request shows saying "Can you please play Pink Floyd's biggest hit, The Wall, for me?"

I think Lament is written as La Ment on Japanese Whispers.

I've always opted for Love Song too, but even the band write it as Lovesong on printed set lists. My OCD don't like it!
Remember the time that the sky went black
We waited alone on the sands
Remember the taste of the raging sea
But nobody held out their hands