90 min cdr

Started by Steve, July 15, 2007, 11:06:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I just picked up a couple of 90 minute cdrs & tried to burn a gig that crept a little over the normal 80min capacity on regular cdrs.
But, itunes told me there wasn't enough capacity on the cd to get all the songs on.
Before I go & make some coasters, anyone advise me on how I can burn onto 90 min discs without a problem?
Cheers.

Steve
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

lostflower4

I'm not sure. You could even try overburning on an 80-minute CD if it's just barely over. Do this at your own risk! :twisted:

I've received 90-minute discs before and they played fine, but I've never had the desire to make my own.

But I know iTunes is complete shit for proper ripping/burning, so  my only suggestion would be to try another program. :?

Steve

Thanks Caley.
I might give Nero a whirl.

Cheers.

Steve
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake

riseandreverberate

You need a writer that supports overburning.

Some useful info here ;)

Steve

OMG, you get every where don't you :smth059

Just checked it out. V interesting. It seems my burner does support overburning, so I'll make another attempt at the weekend.
I'm trying to put the whole of Disguised in Black (incl the full length Ghost Rider/Sister Ray) onto 1 disc & failng miserably. So if anyone wants a copy with the faded out GR/SR, pm me & I'll send it. ;)

Cheers.

Steve

Cheers
Steve

lostflower4

Why not just split the show across two discs and forget about it?

Or just get a rig that plays FLAC and bypass all this silly multiple disc stuff forever. :smth023

Steve

My stereo system is a complete joy to listen to & the disc player doesn't do FLAC unfortunately.
I am a bit of a Hi Fi Freak, so I fully intend to be putting the best possible source material in the player.
Listening to flacs on the PC is very tiring, as the actual replay quality is shockingly bad (it's a PC after all & not a stereo system).
2 discs is an option, but I was curious to see if I could cram it onto one.
:-D
Cheers
Steve

lostflower4

Quote from: Steve on July 18, 2007, 17:27:42
Listening to flacs on the PC is very tiring, as the actual replay quality is shockingly bad (it's a PC after all & not a stereo system).

Depends on one's sound card and speakers, I suppose.

riseandreverberate

Quote from: Steve on July 18, 2007, 17:10:19
OMG, you get every where don't you :smth059

Yup. Like a bad penny :-D

Quote from: Steve on July 18, 2007, 17:10:19
I'm trying to put the whole of Disguised in Black (incl the full length Ghost Rider/Sister Ray) onto 1 disc & failng miserably.

Now I'm confused, I have DIB at 74min and the full version (apparently) from vinyl rip at 78min. Am I missing something?

Steve

When I added it all up, it panned out at 80 mins 21 seconds.
That's with all the crowd noise, comments & the full length SR/GR.
So, of course a 74min disc isn't really going to catch it all.
I bought a couple of 90min discs to see if I could manage it.
My copy is on 1 disc with the faded out GR, but some kind soul put up a FLAC version of GR (full)& with that it does run over the 74min formatable capacity on a std disc
If it is 78 mins, then it might be possible to overburn on a std 74min cdr (as in the article).
Time for some experiments methinks.
@Caley regarding sound cards & speakers.
I have yet to come across anything near "audiophile" standard hardware.
All sounds really boxy & basically crap (IMHO)
I want to enjoy my music as much as poss. So good quality CDs (& to be fair, CDs are actually pretty sh!tty  :roll:) & a decent playback system are essential.
Computer HW is all very well, but it still can't take the place of a bespoke audio system IMO. :D
Cheers
Steve

riseandreverberate

I didn't realise people were still using 74min discs, thought 80min were the norm nowadays :?

Either way, you'll certainly need an 80 for Zottegem '07 (which is currently heading your way) ;)

Steve

Yeah, you're right.
My mistake :oops:
So, following that, I should be able to overburn DIB on an 80min disc.
I'll have to wait until I get home tonight to try it out.

Cheers.

Steve
Cheers
Steve

japanesebaby

Quote from: Steve on July 18, 2007, 17:27:42

why would "listening to flacs" that mean that i (or anyone else) had to listen to everything through some crappy computer speakers (if that was what you meant?)? so it depends on your equipment - but why would anyone had to be forced to use some poor equipment? so it's not "the flacs' fault", so to speak. audio cds also sound like crap as well if you play them with a poor equipment.
at least i have my computer permanently plugged in to my stereo anyway: that way i can play everything from computer but still get proper sound quality and most importantly, i never ever have to burn a huge pile of utterly unnecessary audio cds to fill up the room in the house.
so at least for me, audio cds are just a waste of space.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

No doubt there are ways to integrate FLAC into just about anything.

Many portable players can stream FLAC (or WAV) out the USB port â€" which is a perfect way to connect to a newer car CD player.

And I'm sure there are similar technologies emerging for home audio equipment. I guess I'm just stuck with my "poor" computer setup here for now, but I do have a nice sound card and very good speakers. Surely not the same as a $5000 setup, but infinitely better than the cheapo crap that comes bundled with a typical PC.

I've also developed a distaste for audio CDs. Just way too much clutter that I don't need... :twisted:

Steve

Er... Just a minute.
Don't want to belittle sound cards etc.
For what they do, they are actually superb.
All, I am trying to say is that I can't do a prolonged listening session using a PC as a source.
Don't want to be a hi fi snob either, but I haven't heard anything from a PC that comes close to a dedicated audio setup.........yet ;)
& yes, CDs are too sterile sounding. Some people take a lot of time to make them more "organic" & to just stick all that hard work into something that is not going to do it justice is a bit of a shame really.
I do like SACD & DVDA formats a lot though.
I listen to the PC at work with earphones on, but can't do it for long periods TBH.
Sorry to ruffle technical feathers here. The important thing is that if you like the way it sounds then that's okay right?
Cheers
Steve