32khz Dat converted to flac

Started by bluewater, July 23, 2007, 22:02:07

Previous topic - Next topic

bluewater

The DAT standard allows for four sampling modes: 32 kHz at 12 bits, and 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz at 16 bits.
There are other reasons why to use 32khz sampling rate. I recommend anyone interested reads this thread:
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac/2005-April/000427.html

Now flac supports 32khz sampling rate so there´s no need for converting
32khz Dat recordings to 44.1khz since almost everyone prefers
Flac files over audio cd´s. So non-compatibility of 32khz with cd format should not
be an issue. Furthermore, 32khz Flac files consume less space than
44.1khz flac files (one should check this).

But we haven´t seen any Dat0 recordings shared in 32khz Flac files. Those
we have seen have been converted to cd-compliant 44.1khz. This is probably
a minor issue and nothing to complain about, i only think those who transfer Dat
tapes to flac format should consider keeping the original sample
rate. However, at any sample rate the recordings are always more than welcome especially if they really are Dat0 :). Other opinions are also welcome.

-blue
Life's too short to listen to lossy music

Matti

I definitely can't help You with Your question as my knowledge about digital audio tech stuff is rather limited. but You asked for other opinions, right?

I sometimes think I'm getting old -
Quote from: bluewater on July 23, 2007, 22:02:07...there´s no need for converting 32khz Dat recordings to 44.1khz since almost everyone prefers Flac files over audio cd´s.

Is that true? Do they? Anyone else here feeling like a dinosaur?
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

crowbi_wan

Quote from: Matti on July 24, 2007, 01:13:26
I definitely can't help You with Your question as my knowledge about digital audio tech stuff is rather limited. but You asked for other opinions, right?

I sometimes think I'm getting old -
Quote from: bluewater on July 23, 2007, 22:02:07...there´s no need for converting 32khz Dat recordings to 44.1khz since almost everyone prefers Flac files over audio cd´s.

Is that true? Do they? Anyone else here feeling like a dinosaur?

I rarely burn cds any longer.  Flac on DVD or a media player > usb > car stereo is how I listen to live shit.

lostflower4

Well, I definitely prefer FLAC over CD, and FLAC is continually growing in popularity. But I'm not sure it's the universally preferred format yet. I still encounter a lot of people who are like, "What's FLAC? Can't you just send me a CD?" :?

As for the sample rates, of course it's logical just to keep them in their original state when possible. However, I think a lot of the 32K DAT stuff was transferred to CD a long time ago. And so now when FLAC files are made, they are taken from the archived CD copies and therefore 44K.

Another reason I can think of people still sharing stuff in 44K is so people don't ruin material done in other sample rates. I mean, there are good ways to convert sample rates, and there are bad ways. Try converting a sample rate with dbPowerAmp. It's awful, and the length of the file even changes by a few fractions of a second. It's a very, very low quality algorithm â€" obviously geared towards speed, not quality. :oops:

So if I had something to share that was originally 48K, I might just do a good conversion to 44K before I let it out into the wild. Then there won't be endless conversions of variable quality spreading around. That could get ugly!

bluewater

Thanks for opinions. I don´t think preferring the usual cd-quality over the more exotic sampling rates made possible by Flac is a dinosaur thing. And there are a few good sides in converting 32khz up to 44.1khz

- to make the files always compatible with cd-r audio trading (most of these conversions already done as lostflower4 said)
- to make mixing of different sources (matrixing) possible without re-sampling again
- to display frequencies between 16khz and 22khz in spectrum analysis thus helping
in mp3 detecting problem.

So i think the solution is: 44.1khz is the best and most universal sampling rate
to be used in sharing and trading

-blue
Life's too short to listen to lossy music