The Cure's Saddest Song?

Started by Bloodflower, February 01, 2007, 02:45:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Which song do you consider to be saddest?

All Cats Are Grey
6 (3.5%)
The Funeral Party
7 (4.1%)
Faith
15 (8.7%)
Cold
5 (2.9%)
The Top
0 (0%)
Sinking
4 (2.3%)
One More Time
3 (1.7%)
A Thousand Hours
2 (1.2%)
Plainsong
1 (0.6%)
Pictures of You
8 (4.7%)
Closedown
1 (0.6%)
Last Dance
2 (1.2%)
The Same Deep Water As You
30 (17.4%)
Homesick
4 (2.3%)
Untitled
4 (2.3%)
Apart
8 (4.7%)
From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea
2 (1.2%)
Trust
5 (2.9%)
To Wish Impossible Things
5 (2.9%)
Treasure
5 (2.9%)
Bare
2 (1.2%)
Out Of This World
2 (1.2%)
The Last Day of Summer
5 (2.9%)
There Is No If...
6 (3.5%)
The Loudest Sound
3 (1.7%)
Cut Here
3 (1.7%)
Going Nowhere
0 (0%)
Secrets
2 (1.2%)
M
1 (0.6%)
Charlotte Sometimes
2 (1.2%)
Other (Please state)
29 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 170

figurehead

The Cure's saddest song?
You must be joking...
Most songs from the 'Black Trilogy' are...
Also from DiSi & BloodFlowers.
But if you will ask me for a b'side then it certainly is : 'Fear Of Ghosts'. . .
'Is It Always Like This?'

revolt

I find it strange that "The Same Deep Water as You" is winning the poll for saddest Cure song ever. I mean, the song ends with the following lines:

i will kiss you
i will kiss you
i will kiss you forever
on nights like this
i will kiss you
i will kiss you
and we shall be together...

Surely there are sadder things in this life than being with the one you love?  :smth017

Lady

Quote from: revolt on October 02, 2008, 12:03:23
I find it strange that "The Same Deep Water as You" is winning the poll for saddest Cure song ever. I mean, the song ends with the following lines:

i will kiss you
i will kiss you
i will kiss you forever
on nights like this
i will kiss you
i will kiss you

Surely there are sadder things in this life than being with the one you love?  :smth017
Yeah, but I've always thought it sounded like a dream: he will love her forever and will carry on being with her even if she won't be there anymore...so it will be like being together.
But of course this is just my interpretation...the music anyway is very sad
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

revolt

Quote from: Lady on October 02, 2008, 12:14:21

i will kiss you
i will kiss you
i will kiss you forever
on nights like this
i will kiss you
i will kiss you

Yeah, but I've always thought it sounded like a dream: he will love her forever and will carry on being with her even if she won't be there anymore...so it will be like being together.

Well, I have always interpreted it as being hopeful... The sadness of the departure being compensated by the conviction that the two will be together again. The tears that this song evokes are tears of sadness but at the same time tears of joy... And I think that it's this two-sidedness or "ambiguity" that makes it particularly powerful.

Anyway, for me the saddest song would have to be one that speaks of a complete and irreversible loss... not sure if there is any Cure song that applies 100% here? Even "Chain of Flowers", which I chose for saddest song, speaks more of the fear of loss than of loss itself...

Lady

Quote from: revolt on October 02, 2008, 12:34:40
Quote from: Lady on October 02, 2008, 12:14:21

i will kiss you
i will kiss you
i will kiss you forever
on nights like this
i will kiss you
i will kiss you

Well, I have always interpreted it as being hopeful... The sadness of the departure being compensated by the conviction that the two will be together again. The tears that this song evokes are tears of sadness but at the same time tears of joy... And I think that it's this two-sidedness or "ambiguity" that makes it particularly powerful.

Surely we can find ambiguity in many cure's songs...but the convinction of "being together again" can be interpretated as the reconciliation after the death (maybe I'm too pessimistic, ah! :-D). The last lines could be also a "memory" of the words that he said to his lover before being separated...anyway it's a very ambiguos situation!! :roll:

[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]

revolt

Quote from: Lady on October 02, 2008, 12:51:34
[but the convinction of "being together again" can be interpretated as the reconciliation after the death (maybe I'm too pessimistic, ah! :-D).

Well, if you BELIEVE that there can be a reconciliation AFTER death, then you're not pessimistic at all... Belief in life after death is optimism of the highest level.  ;)

The last lines could be also a "memory" of the words that he said to his lover before being separated...anyway it's a very ambiguos situation!! :roll:

Well, it could be... But then, if you are clinging to the memory of those words and choose to end the song with them, there must be some kind of hope in you, no?

Lady

Quote from: revolt on October 02, 2008, 13:27:06
[but the convinction of "being together again" can be interpretated as the reconciliation after the death (maybe I'm too pessimistic, ah! :-D).

Well, if you BELIEVE that there can be a reconciliation AFTER death, then you're not pessimistic at all... Belief in life after death is optimism of the highest level.  ;)
Ahah, sure...but I didn't mean pessimistic about what i believe; i meant pessimistic about what's the meaning of this song! ;)

The last lines could be also a "memory" of the words that he said to his lover before being separated...anyway it's a very ambiguos situation!! :roll:

Well, it could be... But then, if you are clinging to the memory of those words and choose to end the song with them, there must be some kind of hope in you, no?
I think that sometimes clinging to the memories helps....sometimes can be dangerous... ;)

revolt

Quote from: Lady on October 02, 2008, 13:40:37
I think that sometimes clinging to the memories helps....sometimes can be dangerous... ;)

I have to agree with you there... Well, perhaps we should not develop this line of thought, I have a feeling that we're already sliding a bit off-topic.  :-D

ExplicitMoment

For me it's The Drowning Man, it's just such a haunting song, musically and lyrically. That or The Figurehead, which is one of my favourite tracks, it's just so bleak.

tigermilk

Quote from: ExplicitMoment on October 08, 2008, 02:33:49
For me it's The Drowning Man, it's just such a haunting song, musically and lyrically. That or The Figurehead, which is one of my favourite tracks, it's just so bleak.

Good choices!  :smth023 Two of my favourite Cure songs ever.

othervoices13

I voted for Untitled but Apart is a close second...

The lyrics to Untitled perfectly describe losing someone and never being able to see them again. The music has a feeling of resignation from the opening to the end.

Apart is the saddest breakup song ever. Closedown and All Cats are Grey always get to me as well.

Robert's ability to evoke these types of emotions with his music and lyrics are unparalelled: resignation, regret, longing (usually for the past), despair and also hope through the bleakness.
a smile to hide the fear away

fiction

Lament. Is there any other sad...?
again and again and again and again and again and...

skellington

Funeral Party almost immediately makes me sad... :smth090 but The Same deep water as you, and All cats are Grey both come pretty close. It  really depends on the way you sing it, cause I heard one version of The same deep water as you, and it sounded like he couldn't even finish the song he was so choaked up.
Its Just Like a Dream...:)

othervoices13

Quote from: fiction on March 03, 2010, 23:24:01
Lament. Is there any other sad...?

Yes - good choice with Lament. This song always gets to me..the flexipop version adds to the feeling of desolation.
a smile to hide the fear away

fiction

Quote from: othervoices13 on March 04, 2010, 15:40:41
the flexipop version adds to the feeling of desolation.

Absolutely. A more desperate cry of restrained anxiety is seldom heard in the history of rock as on that flexi version of Lament.
again and again and again and again and again and...