Weather extremes

Started by j, August 11, 2007, 05:28:50

Previous topic - Next topic

j

I know that Caley experiences this as well, but do other parts of the world go through this?  In the winter, we sometimes get down to 0 degrees F (-18C) and in the summer, we can hit 100 F + (38C) plus 80-90% humidity. 

The thing that brought this up is that yesterday the high temp here was 98 F (37 C).  Tonight the low temperature is forecast to be 52 F (11 C)....a 46 degree difference in just over 24 hours!

Does anyone else go through such temperature extremes?

iwannashagsimon

I live near Chicago and we have some temperature extremes.  Luckily lately everything has been near normal.  Maybe just 7 or so degrees above. In fact we should be back to normal temps next week thanks to a cold front coming in from Canada. But nothing real extreme like back in 1995.

Our summers can reach 100F(38C) with 100% humidity. And the heat indexes make it feel like someone opened an oven.  In winter we can get to 30F(-1C).  Then you gotta factor in the wind chill that can make it feel colder!

Those temps are just for Arlington Heights...no idea about Chicago or the rest of the state.

japanesebaby

well i surely do: i live in helsinki, in the southermost finland and the peaks in the summer can be around +30 C (86 F) and in the winter -30C (-22F) is possible.  and i do remember experiencing -35 C (-31 F) too but only maybe two or three times in my life. yet for the people living in the northern parts of finland -35C is a regular visitor.
the extremes won't take place all the time, not even regularly every year. and especially not here on the coast - it's the inland folks who always get more extremes. so i'd say +25 C (77 F) for the summer and -25C (-13 F) for the winter is something you can always count on around here. and since i live on the coast we often have to add the effect of the wind too, which can easily make something like a "common" -15 C (5 F) to feel like -30C.

the oridinary "hot" summer weather here is around +25 C -+27 C or a bit over (around 80 F). we've been having this for about a week lately, which is really nice because the whole of july was rather rainy and clowdy only around +20 C (68 F) at max.
i'm not sure about the average humidity here, but i'd assume it's not as heavy around here than it seems to be over there.

our whole climate is made bearable by the existence of the so called gulf stream:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Stream
without that i'm sure we'd urely freezy our asses off around here in a minute!  ;)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 11, 2007, 09:12:16
july was rather rainy and clowdy only around +20 C (68 F) at max.

That sounds like the summer I've been having in Seattle.  Okay, sure Seattle does get a lot of rain.  Usually our summers are quite nice.  This year has just been shitty.  And not just this summer.  The whole year has been just awful.  More sno, more rain, and colder temps then any year I can remember. 

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I've speant some time in Saudi where the highs reached 130.  Strange thing is that I'd see people wearing jackets when the temp dropped at night (to around 70).  Now, 70 degrees isn't cold to me.  In fact that's right about where I like.  But when you drop 40-50 degrees, well that's huge.  Once I climatized, I too was wearing my winter jacket in the evenings.  Back home I'm wearing shorts when it's 70. 

dsanchez

Where I live (Lima, Peru), humidity is really high. It's usually among 90%-100% and so sometimes I wonder if we are like fishes  :?. We are really breathing water.

The current winter is the coldest we ever had here. It's around 13 C - 15 C. Yes, it seems not that cold, but because humdity is so high, it DOES feels cold. In anothers parts of Peru (hihglands and around the Titicaca Lake area) it's too cold. Unfortunately, people who lives there is very poor and they dont have the nice warm jackets we usually can afford. Weather there is -10 C to -20 C sometimes. 
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

we got the first snow storm here - nice!  :)

don't forget where you left your bike...

it really snowed quite a lot, mountains of snow everywhere:

crowbi_wan

I hate the snow.  Yuck!  Living somewhere that gets more than a few inches of snow before it melts away is not something i would be interested in.  Even a snowy vacation spot doesnt sound like much fun to me. 

nausearockpig

I've never seen or touched snow. real snow that is, i've seen photos...

japanesebaby

uhh sorry to cause such negative sentiments.

Quote from: crowbi_wan on November 25, 2008, 03:08:45
I hate the snow.  Yuck!
:? really?
well i wouldn't love to live in antarctica either or something but i really do love having all four seasons: snowy winter, +30C in the summer, "proper" springs and autumns there in between those two. one must have the extremes, otherwise it doesn't feel like it's quite right.

Quote from: nausearockpig on November 25, 2008, 08:26:42
I've never seen or touched snow.
is that so?  :shock:

some very good things about snow:

- it brings so much more light, when it's white all around. pure new snow is simply beautiful. it makes you feel good.

- it's not often talked about but snow has a really tremendous acoustical effect, especially in the cities: it really smoothes down the noise of cars etc., makes it all hugely bearable. the city is "at it's loudest" when the streets are wet - all noises are raw and sharp, quite violently enhanced. so autumn can be both loud (literally) and gloomy (because of shorter days.
but then the snow comes in and it's bliss to the ear and eye. :)

nausearockpig

yup I'm a snow virgin...
interesting that snow has acoustic properties as described.. never thought about it...

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 25, 2008, 09:47:01

I hate the snow.  Yuck!
well i wouldn't love to live in antarctica either or something but i really do love having all four seasons: snowy winter, +30C in the summer, "proper" springs and autumns there in between those two. one must have the extremes, otherwise it doesn't feel like it's quite right.

Ah, but that's the exact reason I love the Pacific Northwest.  All four of our seasons are ideal (though some will complain about the rain we get during fall/winter) Sure, Seattle doesn't become some winter wonderland, but the outer lying areas get snow, often lots of it.  We have mountains all around us for those that partake in skiing/snowboarding.  Just that in the city, it is extremely difficult to get around when driving on some snow-packed streets.  That's my biggest concern during the snowy season.  I'll admit a fresh coating of snow does look beautiful, though.  It's when it lingers, or begins to melt and then freezes when it starts to look pretty gross.  But then I suppose Helsinki just keeps getting covered up with a fresh coat, making it picturesque once more.  We really don't get that continuous snow fall.         

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on November 25, 2008, 18:32:27

I hate the snow.  Yuck!

Ah, but that's the exact reason I love the Pacific Northwest.  All four of our seasons are ideal (though some will complain about the rain we get during fall/winter) Sure, Seattle doesn't become some winter wonderland, but the outer lying areas get snow, often lots of it.  We have mountains all around us for those that partake in skiing/snowboarding.  Just that in the city, it is extremely difficult to get around when driving on some snow-packed streets.  That's my biggest concern during the snowy season.  I'll admit a fresh coating of snow does look beautiful, though.  It's when it lingers, or begins to melt and then freezes when it starts to look pretty gross.  But then I suppose Helsinki just keeps getting covered up with a fresh coat, making it picturesque once more.  We really don't get that continuous snow fall.         

yeah but a winter with lots of rain is not a real winter! winter means snow, ice and frost - in short: COLD. ;)
otherwise it's just some sort of prolonged autumn that in the end slowly turns into spring. that's something i really don't enjoy at all. it's neither autumn nor spring and it surely isn't winter.  :?

helsinki actually does suffer a bit from being on a coast (since the proximity of the sea means a bit warmer temperatures). it's much better a bit more inland, they have a lot better snow coverage there every year. i grew up in there and sometimes i really miss that. especially in recent years we've had just way too many "english winters" here (that's what people here call it sometimes - no offense to the english): meaning cold and damp and rainy but little snow. that's something i really dislike. :x winter rain is just the most depressing thing ever.

nausearockpig

we have about four weeks of super mild winter in Brisbane. apart from that it's either hot or temperate...

lostflower4

I hate the snow.  Yuck!

Really?  :lol:

Being from Iowa, we have the most extreme of extremes from season to season to season (not much different than Illinois, I'm sure). It's been "winter-like" for a couple weeks now, and I'm already sick of it and eagerly looking forward to spring/summer.

Alright, snow can look nice... I'll admit that. But I'd give it up in a heartbeat it in order to avoid the friggin' COLD weather. Besides, you can always go on vacation or look at photos if you really "need" it.  ;)

But really, I mainly see winter as an annoyance. Just think of all the traffic accidents that snow causes. Or people freezing to death out in the middle of nowhere (almost happened to me once). So I just can't think too fondly of it, sorry.

Hmmm... So why do I live here?  That's a good question.  :eek:

j

Quote from: lostflower4 on November 26, 2008, 06:48:22
Hmmm... So why do I live here?  That's a good question.  :eek:

We've all been wondering about that, too Caley!

We have alot of the extremes in PA that you have in Iowa, but not as severe.  Like you, it has been cold here for a couple weeks and have had snow a few times.  Right now I am working in the Poconos (Pennsylvania mountains- part of the Appalachians) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Poconos - and the drive into the higher elevtions equals more snow.

Of course the summers get friggin hot as well with 90% humidity.  Not sure which I despise more- the heat and humidity or the bitter cold!