the LOUDNESS of 'lullaby' on 4Tour

Started by japanesebaby, March 23, 2008, 15:17:49

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

i don't know how many people paid attention to this, but i assume at least people who happaned to be taping did notice it:
the band really seemed to crank up the bass a LOT on 'lullaby'. :shock: this song really stood out of the crowd by being really LOUD (especially b"bass loud").
another example towards the end of the tour was 'WCIBY?' where they seemed to do the same. imo that one didn't work so well as an arrangement: the arrangement seemed to be mostly very LOUD THUMPING BASS and that's it. with 'lullaby' it wasn't a question of arrangement, simply a question of boosting up the levels.
anyway. not sure what the point behind having this very LOUD 'lullaby' was(?) - if there even was any.
i guess this is just a mere observation, something that came to mind today.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on March 23, 2008, 15:17:49
i don't know how many people paid attention to this, but i assume at least people who happaned to be taping did notice it:
the band really seemed to crank up the bass a LOT on 'lullaby'. :shock: this song really stood out of the crowd by being really LOUD (especially b"bass loud").
another example towards the end of the tour was 'WCIBY?' where they seemed to do the same. imo that one didn't work so well as an arrangement: the arrangement seemed to be mostly very LOUD THUMPING BASS and that's it. with 'lullaby' it wasn't a question of arrangement, simply a question of boosting up the levels.
anyway. not sure what the point behind having this very LOUD 'lullaby' was(?) - if there even was any.
i guess this is just a mere observation, something that came to mind today.

Oh yes, I saw this.  It's kind of funny how you don't really notice it when it's being played, but in looking at the wave of my entire recording that was the first thing I noticed.  There's a huge difference there.  :shock:     

Descent

I was actally surprised by the sound level the two times I saw them on this tour. I didn't even need ear protections. Maybe I'm going deaf but it seemed a LOT louder in the past. :lol: I'm not complaining, it was really a pleasure to listen to the band in such good conditions at an acceptable volume.

As for Lullaby, maybe this is caused by the fact that there are no keys to lower the "general" sound level ? And since Porl just plays some chords (and no solos) the sound is louder because it's more "minimal" ?

japanesebaby

you must be going deaf. i think they played really LOUD a lot of times - or depends on where you were standing: i was mostly in front of the speakers and i can tell you it was pretty damn loud at times there!  :eek:

Descent

Hahaha. I was in the front rows, pretty much center in Paris. Away from the speakers... that's why I suppose. ;) The sound was fantastic from there for once.

japanesebaby

Quote from: Descent on March 23, 2008, 17:46:15
Hahaha. I was in the front rows, pretty much center in Paris. Away from the speakers... that's why I suppose. ;) The sound was fantastic from there for once.
although i think you can't really hear robert's voice as good as possible if you're right there in the front and in the middle. it always goes kind of over you there.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on March 23, 2008, 17:50:30
Quote from: Descent on March 23, 2008, 17:46:15
although i think you can't really hear robert's voice as good as possible if you're right there in the front and in the middle. it always goes kind of over you there.

I'd have to agree with you there.  One would think that being up that close you'd hear more of the amplifiers on stage than what's coming from the P.A.  And since Robert's voice is only going through the P.A., it would be coming from behind you. 

Descent

Yeah but you know, the only way for me to "get" into a show is to be close to the stage. It's true Robert's voice wasn't as loud as the other instruments, but nevermind. The view was spectacular. So, who has an idea for Lullaby ? :lol: The end of the shows seemed louder (old school encore) as well.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: Descent on March 23, 2008, 18:05:56
Yeah but you know, the only way for me to "get" into a show is to be close to the stage. It's true Robert's voice wasn't as loud as the other instruments, but nevermind. The view was spectacular. So, who has an idea for Lullaby ? :lol: The end of the shows seemed louder (old school encore) as well.

Being up close and having a great view certainly has its benefits.  For Paris, I was standing back in front of the mixing desk wishing they had some large screens so I could see better while in Antwerp I decided to get up close (in front of the speakers on Porl's side).  Both sounded fine, but the atmosphere was so much better up front.   

japanesebaby

being rather close to the stage matters to me too, sure. i like to see what's going on there, the faces, expressions, etc. all i really meant there was that if you want to go up front, then soundwise it's a lot better to be slightly on the side than right in the middle. and the view is still spectacular on stage if you're being in front of porl or simon.