Underneath the Stars

Started by KingOfSomeIsland, July 18, 2008, 07:09:28

Previous topic - Next topic

KingOfSomeIsland

f*cking AMAZING SONG!

I was blown away since the first time hearing it. Its one of the best songs theyve ever written and I'm absolutely DYING to hear the studio version. I have the feeling its gonna be the highlight of the new album. Anyone else feel the same way as me?

2008-06-20 Madison Square Garden (FUSE Broadcast)

Lyrics:
Floating here like this with you
Underneath the stars aligned
For 13 billion years
The view, Is beautiful
And ours alone tonight
Underneath the stars

Spin around and round with you
Watching shadows melt
the light is shining
From our eyes A tear
another space is ours
alone tonight
Watching shadows melt

And the waves, break
And the waves, break

Whisper in my ear, a wish
"We could drift away so far"
Your voice inside of my head
A kiss, It's infinite
The hours alone tonight
Watching shadows...

Flying here like this with you
Underneath the stars, Aligned
For 13 billion years
The view, It's beautiful
And ours alone tonight
Underneath the stars

And everything gone
And all still to come
Together as now
Forever as one
In each other's arms
So near and so far
Together as now
Underneath the stars

As the waves, break

wish-man

and the way the rain comes down thats how I feel inside...

mint car

I love this song so much too  :P I think that it is best song from this new songs  :smth023
[i]...sleep sweet child the moon will change your mind...[/i]

revolt

Quote from: KingOfSomeIsland on July 18, 2008, 07:09:28
I have the feeling its gonna be the highlight of the new album. Anyone else feel the same way as me?

Well, I really hope that UTS is not going to be THE HIGHLIGHT. Because it still hasn't clicked with me... Anyway, despite my overall pessimism regarding the new album, I really believe there's going to be at least a couple of great songs in it.

othervoices

UTS is the best thing since the disintegration era. I only hope the studio recording captures the emotion of the song played live. Aready a live classic.

Cure Freak

Love this song.
And was so very happy to have heard it at the MSG concert.

Bloodflower

My favorite song of the sessions so far. If there's a Dark Christmas record, I hope this opens it.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

othervoices

Quote from: Cure Freak on July 18, 2008, 19:23:53
Love this song.
And was so very happy to have heard it at the MSG concert.

Yes - Roberts guitar was nice and loud on the opening sequence and the lights were fitting to the music. Nice!

OnniHopeDream

Fav from Dream 13 was in love with it at first listen, hell before I even heard it. Everyone was going nuts over this new song they opened with and like no one had a video of it yet, so all we knew was like "Plainsong 2" or "The Last day of Summer"

And every day that I let slide Is one more day I never try To break the world To make my fate And with every day that I let go It's one day less I never know If it's always Always too late...

revolt

Well, I gave UtS another try, 'cause I found a You Tube link with really good sound (it's the Fuse broadcast thing).

I have to say that I find it a pretty song but nowhere in the league of, say, 'Plainsong'. The melody is not as memorable, by any means, this is more of an ambient kind of song. It is also too sedate to be a good opener for a concert or a an album, actually I find it more appropriate as a closer, at least for some specific kind of album. I mean, with an album that is heavy on the emotions and keeps pushing the listener back and forth, this could be the 'tired' sounding song to end it all, like at the end of some long and punishing journey, you find yourself finally walking home again, exhaust but 'happy' because it has been a worthwile adventure.

There's another thing that bugs me about UtS. I also checked 3 of the Lost Wishes songs (I didn't know them before) and I found out that - as someone has already suggested - UtS is merely a re-hash of 'Uyea Sound'. It's basically the same song, but with vocals. Now, I know that 'Lost Wishes', being a limited edition, is not generally known by the public, maybe even most Cure fans never heard those songs, but I find it hard to understand why would The Cure want to open a new album or a new series of concerts with a song that is such an obvious 're-write'... I mean, it's a new album, it's a new line-up, aren't we entitled to some NEW MUSIC?  ???

Janko

Unremarkable song.
Pretty good, but not much.
And I'm pretty sure they're gonna DESTROY it in studio.

:?
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

KingOfSomeIsland

Quote from: revolt on July 23, 2008, 15:54:23
There's another thing that bugs me about UtS. I also checked 3 of the Lost Wishes songs (I didn't know them before) and I found out that - as someone has already suggested - UtS is merely a re-hash of 'Uyea Sound'. It's basically the same song, but with vocals.

Well Lost Wishes is basically an unfinished Demo Tape and Robert has said in interviews that a few of the new songs on the album are based off older unfinished songs. I would blame Porl for this one seeing as I think he was the one who wrote the songs on Lost Wishes. Which would make sense since them only going back to this now since Porl hasnt been in the band since Wish...

Also this:

One [song] sounded like a Cure backing track without me singing. That seemed a bit pointless so we shelved it for the moment but we'll probably get back to it. - Robert in the Lost Wishes liner notes

Lostflowerboy

So finally it seems as almost all lost wishes tracks found their way into the official Cure catalogue:

Uyea sound ->Underneath the Stars
Cloudberry ->Your god is fear (drums, bass and rhythm guitar)
The three sisters ->All kinds of stuff (bass)

revolt

Quote from: KingOfSomeIsland on July 23, 2008, 22:30:10
I would blame Porl for this one seeing as I think he was the one who wrote the songs on Lost Wishes.

Well, apparently 'Off to sleep' was written by Simon:

http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cure/discography/lostwishes.html

"Simon had a piece too which is nominally called Off To Sleep, a nursery rhyme kind of sound, very gentle and sweet but if I tried to sing over it, it would get very morose"

revolt

Quote from: KingOfSomeIsland on July 23, 2008, 22:30:10
Also this:

One [song] sounded like a Cure backing track without me singing. That seemed a bit pointless so we shelved it for the moment but we'll probably get back to it. - Robert in the Lost Wishes liner notes

The funny thing about that quote is that it is supposed to be referring to a 5th song that was not included in 'Lost Wishes'... But the comment also fits 'The Three Sisters' perfectly: it sounds just like the backing track to a Cure rock song, it doesn't have anything memorable/strong enough to enable it to stand on its own as an instrumental...