New song versions during the european 4tour

Started by dsanchez, March 19, 2008, 12:41:53

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

So our favourite band toured europe again and surprised us with some new versions of the songs. Here's my (personal) balance:

Songs not so good in live

Push (because of the sequences -what the hell?)
Why can't I be you? (miss the keyboards)
Let's go to bed (miss the keyboards)
Boys don't cry (I personally hate the drums in the beginning)

Songs sounding very good in live

A forest (amazing!)
The walk (best version ever?)
Wrong number (a WMS we didn't care much but sounds pretty good live)
Primary
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Quote from: dsanchez on March 19, 2008, 12:41:53Songs not so good in live

Has anyone else noticed that Jason starts playing the drums, cymbals, or making some kind of noise at the beginning of EVERY song, including:

A Night Like This
Push
Fascination Street
From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea
Lullaby
M
Boys Don't Cry
Jumping Someone Else's Train

It's really ridiculous... Why can't the these songs start like they're supposed to? (without percussion)  :twisted:

Or is Jason really relying on a click track that much? :(

Plainsong

I'm really impressed with the recordings of Primary I've heard from this year, because it did not sound good at all at Download last year. Good work, guys.
I also think Maybe Someday sounds fantastic right now.

Lady

Quote from: airneck on March 19, 2008, 13:36:49
Prayers for Rain...
I agree, amazing version! :smth023

And I have to add CATCH from milan....simply superlative! :smth049
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

maluflower

Quote from: dsanchez on March 19, 2008, 12:41:53
So our favourite band toured europe again and surprised us with some new versions of the songs. Here's my (personal) balance:

Songs not so good in live

I agree with you about Push... I don't get why they added that...  ???

The Kiss sounded amazing in... Berlin was it? I think they played it in Milan as well. They really should play it more often. It really gets the crowd going.
The old school encores sound top... the speeded up version of Killing an Arab... and I love how Jumping Someone Else's Train segues into Grinding Halt. :-D

lostflower4: About Jason... I noticed he does tend to count off before the beginning of each song, but I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: lostflower4 on March 19, 2008, 18:07:12
Quote from: dsanchez on March 19, 2008, 12:41:53Songs not so good in live

Has anyone else noticed that Jason starts playing the drums, cymbals, or making some kind of noise at the beginning of EVERY song, including:

A Night Like This
Push
Fascination Street
From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea
Lullaby
M
Boys Don't Cry

It's really ridiculous... Why can't the these songs start like they're supposed to? (without percussion)  :twisted:

Or is Jason really relying on a click track that much? :(

Yeah, I've noticed this and wonder the same thing about Jason relying on a click track.  I much prefer songs starting the way they're supposed.  Take Primary, it starts off with guitar doing the "countoff".  Could you imagine Jason doing a four-count stick tap before the guitar?  Yikes! 

Speaking of Primary, I've been digging this song on the tour a lot.  :rocker Japanesebaby and I were noticing much of the crowd would just die after JLH while only a few were groving to Primary.  I don't get it.  It sounds GREAT!

tigermilk

The Kiss
10:15 Saturday Night
Never Enough

are all sounding incredible live!

closedown

Regarding The Walk - for me it is the worst version EVER of that song... totally horrible - hurts my ears...
have commented already on Push - can't see it lead to anything except sounding far worse than the original.
Things like The Kiss obviously work well - really insane they don't play that instead of songs that simply sound totally off in those new versions.

ps: besides... I would just hope Jason stops that constant cymbal bashing...

japanesebaby

Quote from: closedown on March 21, 2008, 20:47:17

i totally agree. i also wish he (or his drum technician or whoever) would consider spending a bit  more than $10 on his cymbals: it really sounds to me like he's using some totally crappy awful sounding brand there, the sound is just plain awful. and the fact that he's bashbashbsahing all the time doesn't really make it more bearable...  :?

(i must totally disagree about 'the walk', though.)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

Quote from: closedown on March 21, 2008, 20:47:17Things like The Kiss obviously work well - really insane they don't play that instead of songs that simply sound totally off in those new versions.

What can I say? You have good taste.  :D

Although I also disagree about The Walk. There are many other songs I'd rather take off the setlist before that one...

Quote from: japanesebaby on March 21, 2008, 21:05:04i totally agree. i also wish he (or his drum technician or whoever) would consider spending a bit  more than $10 on his cymbals: it really sounds to me like he's using some totally crappy awful sounding brand there, the sound is just plain awful. and the fact that he's bashbashbsahing all the time doesn't really make it more bearable...  :?

I think he's using Zildjian (I'm pretty sure I've spotted the logo on his cymbals). Boris also used Zildjian, but it sounds like Jason is using the beginner's budget line or something.  :oops:

You can read a bit about the different types here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zildjian#Budget_Lines

You can see a "K" on some of Boris' cymbals during "Show".

crowbi_wan

Quote from: lostflower4 on March 21, 2008, 21:31:50

I think he's using Zildjian (I'm pretty sure I've spotted the logo on his cymbals). Boris also used Zildjian, but it sounds like Jason is using the beginner's budget line or something.  :oops:

Yeah, he's spending too much money on hair care products and make-up when his earnings should be going to equipment and lessons.  :P

japanesebaby

Primary

i really enjoyed it there at the concerts and i was really thrilled to hear it. yet i've noticed that afterwards, listening to the recordings i'm back at my old self which means i'm being bothered by the fact that they simply play it too slow these days. it's a bit too relaxed and somehow a bit too comfortable. and if it has to be slow then it's not heavy enough to compensate the lack of speed(?).

i really like the "old way" they used to play it, pretty fast and aggressive.  :)

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 16, 2008, 22:22:48

Primary

i really enjoyed it there at the concerts and i was really thrilled to hear it. yet i've noticed that afterwards, listening to the recordings i'm back at my old self which means i'm being bothered by the fact that they simply play it too slow these days. it's a bit too relaxed and somehow a bit too comfortable. and if it has to be slow then it's not heavy enough to compensate the lack of speed(?).

i really like the "old way" they used to play it, pretty fast and aggressive.  :)

I prefer Primary the old way as well, but think it works at the tempo they're playing it now.  The play all of these upbeat songs pop songs and could probably continue with a slightly faster Primary before slowing way down for ABINK.  It just seems to be the right time to take things down a notch, before changing the mood completely.  I just wish Robert would sing (or talk) the way he did that number during the Download Festival again.  That was pretty cool.

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on March 19, 2008, 19:37:45
Speaking of Primary, I've been digging this song on the tour a lot.  :rocker Japanesebaby and I were noticing much of the crowd would just die after JLH while only a few were groving to Primary.  I don't get it.  It sounds GREAT!

looks like i hadn't noticed this post, when i started to speak about 'primary' there.

yes, i think this was a really disappointing reaction :shock: i remember i almost wanted to slap/smack people around me and shout "hey wake up!" because suddenly they were like zombies... anyway, i'm not sure if a faster tempo would have helped there. the simple fact that 'primary' wasn't included on 'greatest hits' probably caused it... :/

about other good sounding songs:
i think 'how beautiful you are' is really great at its best. maybe not everytime but sometimes porl just managed to capture something special there - so it was well worth being in front of the left stacks on those nights, just because of this. ;)
hamburg was maybe my favorite version, it was simply marvellous.