Cut Here

Started by dsanchez, May 25, 2008, 05:25:39

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

How many times in our lives we had the chance to meet a long time friend and we just skipt the meeting with the classic "I don't have time, maybe next week"?

What would happen if this person would travel very far (and we wouldn't see her/him for many years), or worst, would die? Probably we would regret all the life that we didn't make a little time for this person, when we could.

For those who didn't know, "Cut here" is about this. This is probably one of the best Cure songs ever, but for any strange reason is not mentioned too often by the fans.

In this song Robert regrets about not having time to meet his friend Billy Mackenzie, who commited suicide in 1997:

I should've stopped to think - I should've made the time
I could've had that drink - I could've talked a while
I would've done it right - I would've moved us on
But I didn't - now it's all too late
It's over... over
And you're gone..

I personally like the line: Until later... doesn't always come
Is the central message of the song and is a very touching sentence... and also a good advice for not making the same mistake because we could regret very much later.

Below the lyrics of this awesome song:

Quote"So we meet again!" and I offer my hand
All dry and English slow
And you look at me and I understand
Yeah it's a look I used to know
"Three long years... and your favourite man...
Is that any way to say hello?"
And you hold me... like you'll never let me go

"Oh c'mon and have a drink with me
Sit down and talk a while..."
"Oh I wish I could... and I will!
But now I just don't have the time..."
And over my shoulder as I walk away
I see you give that look goodbye...
I still see that look in your eye...

So dizzy Mr. Busy - Too much rush to talk to Billy
All the silly frilly things have to first get done
In a minute - sometime soon - maybe next time - make it June
Until later... doesn't always come

It's so hard to think "It ends sometime
And this could be the last
I should really hear you sing again
And I should really watch you dance"
Because it's hard to think
"I'll never get another chance
To hold you... to hold you... "

But chilly Mr. Dilly - Too much rush to talk to Billy
All the tizzy fizzy **** things must get done
In a second - just hang on - all in good time - wont be long
Until later...

I should've stopped to think - I should've made the time
I could've had that drink - I could've talked a while
I would've done it right - I would've moved us on
But I didn't - now it's all too late
It's over... over
And you're gone..

I miss you I miss you I miss you
I miss you I miss you I miss you so much

But how many times can I walk away and wish "If only..."
But how many times can I talk this way and wish "If only..."
Keep on making the same mistake
Keep on aching the same heartbreak
I wish "If only..."

But "If only...."
Is a wish too late...

Cut Here in YouTube
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YnYD-_8uUpA
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Plainsong

This is one of my favorites too. Robert's voice on the "I miss you I miss you I miss you so much" part is heartbreaking.

carycameron

My favorite line from the song  "Its so hard to think it ends sometime and this could be the last"  I think its a great song too.  I also like the slower-paced remix

rodney

A very good song, and a nice mix for the Cure.  Both pop and very, very sad.

sues777

I love this song but it's very bittersweet for me - I had a similar experience about 8 years ago...

I'd just started with a new company and was befriended by a lovely woman.  We worked in different teams but were both smokers so we used to meet up for a cigarette and a chat every now and then.  She rang me late one afternoon and asked if I wanted to meet her for a cigarette but I was in the middle of something and just wanted to finish whatever I was doing and go home, so I said I couldn't and I'd catch up with her the next day.  The next morning though, we got the news that she'd died of an asthma attack overnight ...It would only have taken 5 minutes to have that cigarette with her...I still feel guilty about not sparing  that 5 minutes....

"All the tizzy fizzy idiot things must get done"

Listening to Cut Here gets to me every time, but it's a beautiful song and it means a lot to me...
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

Lady

I've always thought "cut here" was a very sweet song and honestly I don't understand why it's not so much mentioned by the fans... :?
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

Poe

It was Billy Mackenzie who was in the Mint Car video, right, with the wig? I believe his dog was in the video too. Also, Cut Here is an anagram of The Cure since Robert thought it was going to be the last song they recorded. Just trying to show off a little here, pardon me.... :smth069

I liked this song better when I knew what it was about, and could make sense of the lines: "So dizzy Mr. Busy - Too much rush to talk to Billy - all the silly frilly things have to first get done"...poor Billy and Rob.
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

Sussex

Yeah. Long ago, when I 1st knew The Cure, it is one of the song that made me realize
how special The Cure is..which such lyrics. Yes, I did experience "..until later... doesn't always come.."

But this part really touch my feeling since I can remind myself about someone..:cry:

"I should really hear you sing again
And I should really watch you dance"

Quote from: dsanchez on May 25, 2008, 05:25:39
This is probably one of the best Cure songs ever, but for any strange reason is not mentioned too often for the fans.

:smth023

"Thick As Shit"

fear_of_ghosts

Count me as another big fan of this song. I think it is severely underrated in the same way I feel that "Signal To Noise" is. They have been playing STN live a lot, so maybe it's getting more respect. Perhaps this would work with CH. I would really love to hear it live myself.
The further I get from the things that I care about, the less I care about how much further away I get...

coxoxi

Quote from: rodney on May 25, 2008, 06:57:33
A very good song, and a nice mix for the Cure.  Both pop and very, very sad.
It's beautiful! But I can't listen often this mix of pop and very sad... These kind of songs make me depressive...

Freakshow

It is one of the songs that are really beautiful and sad at the same time.
It always reminds me of my singing teacher at university which I liked very much - after I finished my examinations I had lots of things in my mind - so I said to me every week next week I will visit/ or call her. When I finally did it I had to realise that she died two weeks ago.   
Show me how you do that trick...

mint car

Quote from: Plainsong on May 25, 2008, 05:46:14
This is one of my favorites too. Robert's voice on the "I miss you I miss you I miss you so much" part is heartbreaking.
yeah, I love this part of this song too. Cut Here is fantastic and sad herewith. It is one of my favourite songs from the cure ever  :)
[i]...sleep sweet child the moon will change your mind...[/i]

tigermilk

I adore this song. It is so touching and yes, many of us can relate to this song.

silversand

I love this song :)
The lyrics are wonderful. And it really touches me :)

Cure Freak

it is such a beautiful sad song.