Best British Albums competition

Started by softmachine, March 20, 2008, 12:52:24

Previous topic - Next topic

softmachine

You may have seen the recently announced Q Magazine Reader's Top 50 Best British Albums- do you really think Oasis deserve the top two spots?

We want to redress the balance and remind people that there's more to British music than Britpop and The Beatles. Tell us your top 5 best British albums and be in with a chance of winning £50 iTunes vouchers- there's also an extra prize for the most original list (ie. none of the albums appear in Q's list).

To enter (and to view the full top 50) go here:

MY TOP 5 BRITISH ALBUMS ARE.....

japanesebaby

all these Q mag (and other british mag) polls/competitions, they are so useless.
they always end up hailing bands like oasis, the verve, pulp etc. - with some luck even the libertines might get mentioned :eek:

i find it really funny how the british press still insist that 90s brit-pop was something really awesome and important, something that had some impact in the music worldwide: because it didn't. seriously, pretty much everyone outside UK thought it was pretty pointless and just a passing trend, they thought so back then at that time and well by now... huh. if there's something that is just totally outdated in 2008 then that's oasis.
i guess they are still living somewhere in 1995 there in the Q mag headquarters... :blush:

all these polls...:
http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,3986.msg30388.html#msg30388

(bruce sprinsgteen: born to run - in the world's top 10 best songs ever? huh!)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

robiola

Quote from: softmachine link=topic=4737.msg44917#msg44917 date=1206013944

do you really think Oasis deserve the top two spots?

:shock: :smth011
I'm overwhelmed and don't even know how to comment this -- it seems incredible.

Quote from: japanesebaby on March 20, 2008, 19:20:32
(bruce sprinsgteen: born to run - in the world's top 10 best songs ever? huh!)
:smth095

I'm always curious to see these lists/polls -- can't resist -- the best 100 songs, the best 50 albums, etc etc... But I should stop falling into the trap, because I inevitably end up extremely puzzled. (While I can't disagree with a bit of Beatles in the list, I agree they are mentioned too many times.)
I'm not going to make my own list though, my preferences are too subjective and fluctuating! I could make a list today and heartily disagree with it in a few months. :smth014