Why does the Cure almost always change their line-up?

Started by mrd6376, July 14, 2007, 22:13:32

Previous topic - Next topic

cheyler

I've been thinking about that a bit recently, the line-up changes over the last twenty years or so.  Reeves was probably the most logical choice since he had played on one of the band's recordings already ('Wrong Number').  I'm guessing Perry would never be asked back again (to replace Reeves) because it would then be the 'Wild Mood Swings' band again and Robert has never re-constituted a previous line-up once it has split up.  That's probably why neither Roger nor Perry returned after Porl re-joined in 2005; if Roger stayed then it would be the 'Disintegration' band (with a different drummer) and if Perry had stayed it would have been he 'Wish' band (with a different drummer).  There's still a chance that my theory about Porl wanting them both out being correct but more it's more likely that Robert just didn't want the inevitable comparisons to previous line-ups...a nod to Ulrich there...more likely paranoia on my part.  Perry is more suitable as a guitarist but...onwards and upwards is probably Robert's philosophy.

Ulrich

Your theory has a big hole in there. What we have now is basically the "Wild Mood Swings" (+"Bloodflowers" & "The Cure")  line-up (with a different guitarist). Can't see any logic in your theory, sorry.  :roll:
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

cheyler

Either way, the current Cure line-up is still different than any previous line-up.  Guitarists can come and go, which is unfortunate especially in Porl's case, although The Cure have only had three (besides Robert) over 35 years.  I'm betting Robert would prefer a new member to re-forming one of the old line-ups on any sort of long-term basis, a 'final gig' reformation nothwithstanding.  I think Reeves is not a particularly good fit for The Cure but I really like the guy and find it impossible to wish him out of the band.  I don't really wish Perry was back although he is a better fit having been there during a couple 'classic' eras but it would be the 'Wild Mood Swings' and 'Bloodflowers' band again and would be a 'step backward' in a way rather than 'forward progress'.

dmscheuer

QuoteI don't really wish Perry was back although he is a better fit having been there during a couple 'classic' eras but it would be the 'Wild Mood Swings' and 'Bloodflowers' band again and would be a 'step backward' in a way rather than 'forward progress'.

I don't quite follow the logic either.

Then why have Porl in and out, back in again, then out of the band again?

Why have Simon in and out then back in again too?

And regarding the "Robert is a dictator" theory - I think Robert said this himself? I have to dig around, but I am fairly certain that Robert called himself a dictator re: The Cure, not that some past band member or fan claimed he was the dictator......

Ulrich

Quote from: dmscheuer on September 13, 2014, 03:57:54
And regarding the "Robert is a dictator" theory - I think Robert said this himself? I have to dig around, but I am fairly certain that Robert called himself a dictator re: The Cure, not that some past band member or fan claimed he was the dictator...

Wasn't it the media who saw him that way? Anyway, Robert said he's not the dictator sacking people for saying something he didn't like. He just has to look that he has a working band...

Quote from: cheyler on September 13, 2014, 02:00:33
I don't really wish Perry was back

Yeah right, a new opinion every other month?
http://curefans.com/albums-and-songs/series-of-live-concert-cds/msg760894/#msg760894
Quote...will definitely not be going to any future gigs (unless Perry comes back). 
:roll:

cheyler

Quote from: Ulrich on May 06, 2014, 12:05:00
Quote from: cheyler on May 05, 2014, 22:29:27
Do you prefer the guitar stuff ('Wish' etc.) or the keys stuff or like it all for the most part?

I guess I am one of those sad persons who go "just gimme the good songs and good albums and good concerts..."! ;)
I loved what they did with the keys on "Disintegration", incredibly atmospheric. However, two more albums like this might've become boring, thus I enjoyed the guitar-driven stuff from the "Wish" period too.
(I think I even saw Roger playing guitar on "Open" in the year 2000 or so...?)

Roger did play guitar on 'Open' during (at least) the European leg of the 'Bloodflowers' tour.  I believe Roger was playing the harmonics, RS was playing the distorted parts and that allowed Perry to play his parts as played on the 'Wish' tour.  The mix was sometimes poor so it didn't sound quite right, but for 'Open' to work, in my opinion, all three parts HAVE TO be played.  'Open' in 1992 with Perry mixed right up front is my favorite Cure guitar song of all of them.

plasticpassion

Speaking of changes, I'm having a difficult time adjusting to the 'look' of Reeves Gabrels. He's okay on guitar but refuses to play a hollowbody and carry on the sound that Porl made so famous. Also the beard, grey hair, and glasses just doesn't fit with the look of the cure.

Ulrich

Well I agree that Reeves looks a bit "out of place" compared to the rest of The Cure (but so did e.g. Lol Tolhurst at times). However, I don't really care much about their "image", hair etc. any more, to me the music is the most important part. And musically, I think Reeves fits in well with what Robert wants The Cure to sound like.

simons-sideburn

no matter which persons are in the band it doesn't matter.
The sure is that  a keybord player is always necessary for the cure.
I remember their concert in 2008 and it was very sad to listen keyboard  prerecorded sounds together with some songs.Robert also was trying to play violin parts with his guitar and it wasn't so atmospheric like the 2016 tour.