Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingMan

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on March 20, 2021, 12:45:46Which reminds me, I think you told me there was a connection somewhere between TV Smith and The Waterboys?

Yes, he sang backing vocals on one of the early Waterboys albums, probably on this song:

The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Have you got their first, self-titled, album, @Ulrich?  I had to specially import it as it was never released in Australia.  And then I didn't particularly like it, even though I loved numbers two, three and four already at the time!

Something from Fisherman's Blues...a timeless piece, but it was spectacularly impressive when 80s radio was filled with bubblegum music...

Also, something that helped keep us awake on Saturday night as we drove home from the beach way after our normal bedtime...from earlier on that decade.  Again, in the context of the appallingness of 80s radio, this leapt out at me when I was in high school, and this band became and stayed one of my all-time favourite Australian bands - although I have to admit, I much prefer their earlier albums to what came later - when they still did atmosphere rather than snarl.  And atmosphere they certainly did...

Listening to that nowadays, I love what they did with their guitars, although the bass was a bit nondescript - but maybe it had to be that way to create that particular soundscape.  Still, because both of us noticed that and felt a "bass deficiency" because of it, the very next track we put on was "atmospheric and wonderful bass" - Fear Of Ghosts...

We were thinking about it - while the bass line for that is simple as well, it's compelling in a way that the bass on Tantalised isn't - it's its own thing, but it's a conversation with the other instruments too - it's definitely not "background"...and it reminds me personally both of a human heart and the fragility of life, and of a pendulum, going back to the same place all the time while evoking the passage of time.  And that's just one of the instruments...to me that's the difference between a sparkly melody that garners radio play, and something with the depth to continue to make you think no matter how often you hear it - and think about the stories in the music itself.
SueC is time travelling

SueC

If you've had a lousy day, this might make you smile - it did me.  In this rendition, Mike Scott explains to the Glastonbury crowd why he wrote the song Nearest Thing To Hip and conducts an audience singalong.  :lol:

Brett wants to shoot the keyboard player.  (If you think that's a bit drastic, my beloved explains that there's always room for a little more misanthropy in the world.  And now he's saying that the keyboard player is an escaped Muppet...and he's making Dalek sounds, Exterminate! Exterminate! You will be exterminated!)

PS:  @MeltingMan, is Werner Wichtig some kind of German Weird Al Yankovic? 
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on March 23, 2021, 12:41:54... Mike Scott explains why he wrote the song Nearest Thing To Hip and conducts an audience singalong. 

Ha, I experienced this live back in 2015 when I saw The Waterboys in Munich! :happy

Quote from: SueC on March 23, 2021, 12:41:54Brett wants to shoot the keyboard player.

Well he exaggerates a bit (that organ player, but Brett maybe as well)!  :lol:

Now let's go to the dark side, shall we?

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on March 23, 2021, 16:47:01
Quote from: SueC on March 23, 2021, 12:41:54... Mike Scott explains why he wrote the song Nearest Thing To Hip and conducts an audience singalong. 

Ha, I experienced this live back in 2015 when I saw The Waterboys in Munich! :happy

Lucky you!  :)  We hope he comes to Australia after the pandemic - preferably to Western Australia.  Heck, preferably to Albany as part of the Perth International Arts Festival...

Quote from: Ulrich on March 23, 2021, 16:47:01
Quote from: SueC on March 23, 2021, 12:41:54Brett wants to shoot the keyboard player.

Well he exaggerates a bit (that organ player, but Brett maybe as well)!  :lol:

You think Brett exaggerates?  :lol:  You should hear him this morning.  "Jim Henson called; he wants his Muppet back!"  ...and worse, until I told him to be nice, to which he said, "But he looks like he's continuously orgasm-ing while riding a surfboard, when he's playing a KEYBOARD!"  At this point we had a disagreement about what orgasm-ing people look like, and started talking about sample sizes and statistical relevance... :winking_tongue  (...please refer particularly to 26:08 in the Waterboys clip if you want to compare your own impressions...)

Brett says to take note of the Muppet drummer in the clip below and compare that to Brother Paul and he rests his case.

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on March 23, 2021, 23:48:39"But he looks like he's continuously orgasm-ing while riding a surfboard, when he's playing a KEYBOARD!"

I think it's not a keyboard, it's a Hammond organ, so: yes he's been playing with his organ...  :oops:

SueC

OMG, @Ulrich!  It fits!  Pure genius!   :evil:  :smth023

...although in my personal dictionary, and in most dictionaries, keyboards are a collective group of instruments that include pianos, harpsichords and organs - as well as the cheap and not-so-cheap synthy things that have been shorthanded as "keyboards"

SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

Ulrich

If you haven't guessed it yet, I've been listening to Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds' album "no more shall we part" recently (mostly in my car), seeing it's 20 years old now.

QuoteI left by the back door
With my wife's lover's smoking gun
I don't know what I was hoping for
I hit the road at a run
I was your lover
I was your man
There never was no other
I was your friend
Till we came along this road

SueC

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

SueC

Two sides of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs...

...and she's singing that one with a cold...  it's so impossible to find the recorded acoustic version we've got online - it's from the iTunes sessions and it's fabulous...

PS:  But this is a properly recorded acoustic song which shows you why I love this voice...

SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

MeltingMan