guitars [lost flowers spin-off]

Started by Matti, February 06, 2009, 11:01:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Matti

Quote from: chipdandy on February 06, 2009, 10:46:03I would die if i could get my hands on a Fender Bass VI...

I've searched the internet for any kind of bass that comes anywhere close to it, and i got nothing...guess im gonna have to fork out the money..

No need for going as far as that - have You ever tried looking for a Schecter Hellcat VI? And this might be helpful as well...
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

lostflower4

Quote from: Matti on February 06, 2009, 10:14:12...and isn't LF4 an alternate version of To Wish Impossible Things (chords and song structure are very similar)?

Hmmm... In all these years that never even crossed my mind. Maybe a tiny tiny bit, but I wouldn't consider these songs related.

Quote from: Matti on February 06, 2009, 11:01:04
Quote from: chipdandy on February 06, 2009, 10:46:03I would die if i could get my hands on a Fender Bass VI...

I've searched the internet for any kind of bass that comes anywhere close to it, and i got nothing...guess im gonna have to fork out the money..

No need for going as far as that - have You ever tried looking for a Schecter Hellcat VI? And this might be helpful as well...

But I think it's been proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that Schechters sound NOTHING like the classic Fenders?  Just listen to live versions of Pictures of You  from 2004 onward, for example. That weak and totally dry sound drives me nuts. I really wish they'd stop playing that song!  :twisted:

Although I will admit that the sound isn't all in the guitar (or should I say bass), because even by 2000 Robert's Bass VI sound had taken a turn for the worse. I think he had the perfect sound in 1992, and it stayed similar until about 1996. But by 2000-2002 it just started sounding really dry and bland, even though he was still using Fenders (just listen to Trilogy, where that classic sound was "slightly important"). So apparently he changed something else in his rig.  :?

Your best bet for a "discount" :lol: version of the Bass VI would be to buy a used custom shop version somewhere like eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280301398352

Ok, not exactly cheap. But the early '60s models like Robert used will often fetch twice as much, or even more — even if they're not in the greatest condition.  :shock:  And as far as I know, these custom shop re-issues are virtually identical to the best vintage ones.

Although there was a guy on eBay a few months ago who was selling a black '62 model with a red pickguard that looked EXACTLY like the one Robert used live in the late '80s/early '90s. The guy who was selling it had it refinished from sunburst color to black. And technically, doing something like that devalues the instrument quite a bit. But for me personally, I don't like the sunburst color as it's way too common — and as I said the black model looked exactly like Robert's. I don't think the guy ended up selling it, but I remember the auction being for around $2000-2500, which is a great deal for a pre-CBS vintage model!

The Japanese Bass VI re-issues from the mid-'90s can be had for quite a bit less, but they don't sound the same as the American vintage or custom shop models. A lot of it has to do with the cheaper and lighter wood of the body (basswood instead of alder). Even Robert once commented in an interview that these don't sound like the original, and that the sound of the midrange was totally different.

I had a chance to play one of the Japanese re-issues in a music store many years ago, but I never even plugged it in — so I can't really give any personal opinion on it, except that it "looked cool".

One thing that may get you "close" would be a Danelectro baritone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Danelectro-Baritone-Guitar-Bass-Case-No-Reserve-Black_W0QQitemZ170298928678QQcmdZ

I bought one of these several years ago just to get some kind of baritone guitar. No, it's not exactly the same sound as a Fender, nor is the design very similar, but it's still pretty cool. I think I got mine for about $250 new, but strangely these things skyrocketed in value a few years ago, apparently because they were limited in production. I saw a used one sell for over $450, so I'm really curious how this auction will turn out.

Anyway, good luck finding something!

Matti

Quote from: lostflower4 on February 06, 2009, 12:24:06But I think it's been proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that Schechters sound NOTHING like the classic Fenders?  Just listen to live versions of Pictures of You  from 2004 onward, for example. [...]

Although I will admit that the sound isn't all in the guitar (or should I say bass), because even by 2000 Robert's Bass VI sound had taken a turn for the worse. I think he had the perfect sound in 1992, and it stayed similar until about 1996. But by 2000-2002 it just started sounding really dry and bland, even though he was still using Fenders (just listen to Trilogy, where that classic sound was "slightly important"). So apparently he changed something else in his rig.

I think what Robert changed ever since 2002 is the pickup setting on his VIs (regardless of brand). He used to use the neck pickup until then, and then it seemed that he chose to use a neck and mid/dridge PU contellation. And I believe that Robert't Ultra Baritone has got humbuckers instead of single coils, which altogether alters the sound radically (and not for the better as I must agree).

The Hellcat VI has specs almost identical to the Fender VI - differences are the stop tailpiece (tune-o-matic bridge) and mini humbuckers that can be split globally so that they sound and work exactly like single coils. I've never touched one of the originals, but I've been playing a Hellcat VI for years and I can tell you the sound is fantastic and highly authentic - no comparison to the 2002 onwards POY sound...
to dream a boy and girl

lostflower4

Quote from: Matti on February 06, 2009, 12:38:14
Quote from: lostflower4 on February 06, 2009, 12:24:06But I think it's been proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that Schechters sound NOTHING like the classic Fenders?  Just listen to live versions of Pictures of You  from 2004 onward, for example. [...]

Although I will admit that the sound isn't all in the guitar (or should I say bass), because even by 2000 Robert's Bass VI sound had taken a turn for the worse. I think he had the perfect sound in 1992, and it stayed similar until about 1996. But by 2000-2002 it just started sounding really dry and bland, even though he was still using Fenders (just listen to Trilogy, where that classic sound was "slightly important"). So apparently he changed something else in his rig.

I think what Robert changed ever since 2002 is the pickup setting on his VIs (regardless of brand). He used to use the neck pickup until then, and then it seemed that he chose to use a neck and mid/dridge PU contellation. And I believe that Robert't Ultra Baritone has got humbuckers instead of single coils, which altogether alters the sound radically (and not for the better as I must agree).

The Hellcat VI has specs almost identical to the Fender VI - differences are the stop tailpiece (tune-o-matic bridge) and mini humbuckers that can be split globally so that they sound and work exactly like single coils. I've never touched one of the originals, but I've been playing a Hellcat VI for years and I can tell you the sound is fantastic and highly authentic - no comparison to the 2002 onwards POY sound...

Hmmm... I would have guessed that Robert used the bridge pickup for his Bass VI in the old days, as that side tends to get a more trebly and edgy sound. Because after that it sounded more dull and rounded, which would be more characteristic of a middle/neck pickup. However, I am very confused by the switching system on the Bass VI. Aren't there all kinds of weird configurations you can make there?  :smth017

By the way, I really didn't know much about Schechter baritones — except that I hate Robert's sound. Anymore when I hear the word "Schechter", I start to see red flags.  :lol:

I didn't realize there were different models with different configurations, so perhaps I spoke too soon there...

However, there is also this — which is supposedly very close to the Fender Bass VI:

http://www.stylesmusic.com/shop/product_view.asp?storeID=XB3NVR9BHRQL8PMCAKWR025WE41SF4AA&menu=&seg=0&c0=2&type=Instruments&pr=9923&priv=0

http://www.stylesmusic.com/shop/product_view.asp?storeID=XB3NVR9BHRQL8PMCAKWR025WE41SF4AA&menu=&seg=0&c0=2&type=Instruments&pr=9924&priv=0

(not sure what the difference is between the two, besides the price)

Although I never thought Perry really captured the classic Cure sound with this... But maybe it was just him/his equipment and not the instrument itself?

The upside down headstock is a bit weird too. I guess they were going for a lefty look with a right-handed guitar?  :?

crowbi_wan

One thing Robert has changed in his Bass VI sound is he's not running through a Peavy cab (4 x 12) any longer.  Not sure when or why he stopped.  :smth017 I didn't see one in '04, nor any show after.  I believe he had a dedicated Boss CH-1 taped to it and ran straight to that, bypassing his main pedal board.  He once described that sound as perfect, like a cello.  Perfect?  I agree.  :smth023  Hook that shit back up, Robert! 

Chain Of Flowers

QuoteBy the way, I really didn't know much about Schechter baritones — except that I hate Robert's sound. Anymore when I hear the word "Schechter", I start to see red flags. 

I have to agree!  I wish he'd stop playing those awful Schechters.  The Cure really have lost their classic sound, and I really think it is a shame.  I know that people argue that times change and move on etc, but why stop doing what they do best if it really works?

A lot of that baritone sound is all over Disintegration, and I really love it.  I also really love listening to Entreat, the sound of that live gig was absolutely amazing, with the version of Disingegration being better than the original recording IMO.

Going off topic here, sorry...    ;)

Matti

Why not continue the discussion in the Technical Stuff subforum (and get this threat back to its original topic)? I'd love to go on a little about technical aspects of Cure music/sound and we do seem to have a lot of musicians here.
to dream a boy and girl

chipdandy

sorry, the topic did make a turn. My fault. :)

chipdandy

Just checked out the "technical" forum...its all about flacs and rars and cpu data.

japanesebaby

Quote from: chipdandy on February 13, 2009, 11:49:09
Just checked out the "technical" forum...its all about flacs and rars and cpu data.

tech section is about anything technical, not just all that. there just wasn't anything there to be found yet because the topic hadn't been split just yet.

the topic's been split now (thanks Matti for a suggestion).
a bit randomly named for the time being but that can be changed later.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

Here's a 1962 Fender Bass VI for sale. Like I said, these go for crazy prices even if their not in the best condition.  :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220360985648

I'm quite sure Robert's dark one (as seen in Play Out, Show, etc.) was a '62 model. This was made just before CBS corporation bought out Fender, which caused the quality of everything to go downhill after that — so this is really one of the ideal years to have.

(Fortunately, a group of people bought Fender back from CBS in 1985 and the quality of their stuff got better again.)

But still, I think the only authentic "Cure-like" models of the Bass VI were made around 1961-1964, or more recently by the Custom Shop.

chipdandy

lostflower4

Is it just me or do these Bass VIs get more expensive every day?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200317175421

Ok, there's just NO WAY this is going to sell. What kind of item description is that?  :oops:

(looks pretty beat up, too) 

lostflower4

Quote from: sullen on May 31, 2009, 05:00:02
10 g's
what a bargain
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Fender-Bass-VI-1961_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem35a1b0ffc7QQitemZ230345998279QQptZGuitarQQsalenotsupported

i wish i got one of these years ago when they were cheaper.

If you can't afford the whole guitar, why not just buy a pickguard?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110397270978

:eek:

Seriously though, I think the Custom Shop versions made in the past few years are just as good as the early '60s models (and probably in a lot better condition too). They can be had for under $2000 if you're lucky.