Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on August 01, 2019, 16:34:58
Quote from: SueC on August 01, 2019, 14:01:12...oh wow, he went on to do reggae?

Well that's one song on that album, maybe a few more. The Clash have always had a "reggae" side, from the first album ("Police & thieves") onwards (e.g. "One More Time"), so nothing "new" for him.  :cool

Ah! I would have missed that.  Slightly too young to have had my antennae out back then and just familiar with their radio songs. :)  Quite a few people were incorporating reggae in the 80s.  I mean, there's obviously The Police, there's UB40 - the latter, Brett loathes.  :rofl  I kind of like Red Red Wine because it was the best song on the dire mix tape we listened to a lot in Year 9 Art class back in 1984.  That tells you something about that mix tape!  :1f631:  Their singer does sound like Daffy Duck, but on the other hand, good on him for not letting that stop him.

Quote from: undefinedTalking of Mick Jones, there is a "tribute" to him on the latest Waterboys album:

Thank you for that, I really enjoyed this. :cool  And isn't Mike Scott detailed and effusive when doing tributes.  I always laugh at this one:

I've not gotten around to the new album yet, and some before that one even, we're currently acquiring a few more Cure albums etc (we just got Join the Dots) - those two are my current "get up to date" priorities.  When I get a new album of that ilk, it always takes me at least a month before I'm ready to hear another new one (because these are albums that require a lot of digesting and assimilating - it's not background music or toe-tappers).  I'm really interested in his WB Yeats theme album too - I looooved the Waterboys take on The Stolen Child way back, and Yeats was already one of my favourite poets when that came out.  Hopefully I will live long enough to hear all these things!  :)

And this is for @dsanchez - some more breakup songs of a different sort that can be useful in certain situations:

And from Australia, and a female perspective:

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on August 03, 2019, 02:38:28Thank you for that, I really enjoyed this. :cool 
I've not gotten around to the new album yet, and some before that one even...

Ah well, the latest 2 Waterboys albums are a "mixed bag". Mike Scott started experimenting with drum loops on the recent "Out of all this blue" (don't get confused, because the song with that title is on the new album!). Some of the songs seemed more like "demos" to me (MS mentioned some of them are "first takes" when it comes to the vocals). Still, there are some quality songs (even though I got to admit some of the more "experimental" ones are difficult to take for me)...
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on August 03, 2019, 10:55:57Ah well, the latest 2 Waterboys albums are a "mixed bag". Mike Scott started experimenting with drum loops on the recent "Out of all this blue" (don't get confused, because the song with that title is on the new album!). Some of the songs seemed more like "demos" to me (MS mentioned some of them are "first takes" when it comes to the vocals). Still, there are some quality songs (even though I got to admit some of the more "experimental" ones are difficult to take for me)...

He's often in storytelling mode; so here's another song like that.  Sort of what Neil Young does, and Bob Dylan, and Leonard Cohen etc.

I remember after The Waterboys had taken off for Ireland after This Is The Sea; I was listening to an interview with Bob Geldof on the radio cycling back from university one day (it's so funny, I remember cycling under pine trees when this next comment got made) - it would have been 1989/1990-ish I think; Geldof was in Perth with his whole family and talking to the local radio station 96FM, which was quite a good one in those days - they didn't play a lot of rubbish or Top 40, and the DJs never yelled like dickheads, they just spoke politely.  Anyway, they had Geldof playing songs he liked, and one of those was The Whole Of The Moon, and after that song Geldof lamented long and loud that The Waterboys had ever gone to Ireland and gotten happy, he preferred them when they were in Britain and miserable (his words). :rofl

I thought that was hilarious - The Waterboys had never struck me as miserable, but it's true they had fun in Ireland with traditional music, which I suppose would have alienated much of their contemporary audience. 

I've tended to find something to like in every phase (like with Neil Young); but yeah, some songs appeal more than others.  Still, that seems to be a general thing with lots of artists.  I'm trying to think of one where this isn't the case.  Suzanne Vega gets close. :)
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on August 03, 2019, 14:05:57He's often in storytelling mode; so here's another song like that.

Well that is true, but I don't wanna hear more of his "experimental" mode like this one:
:1f62b:    :?

dsanchez

Well, listening this pretty much every day due the Pan Am Games. Very catchy song :)

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Best World Cup song ever

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on August 03, 2019, 16:27:36
Quote from: SueC on August 03, 2019, 14:05:57He's often in storytelling mode; so here's another song like that.

Well that is true, but I don't wanna hear more of his "experimental" mode like this one:
:1f62b:    :?

:rofl

Well, that one I found very neutral.  It's not great, and it's not actively horrible.  It was fine for rolling out bread dough to, as background music for when I'm doing something where I have to concentrate.  I can't listen to my favourite music while I'm having to concentrate on something else.

I can think of many worse things (like boy bands), but on the other hand, you are probably spoilt by the quality of your music collection, and Brett always says, "Life is too short to read books you don't like." (or love, if you want to put the bar higher)

I listened again to the previous MS song you posted and wondered if it was just starting to shade into elevator music - and consulted my husband for an opinion.  He said, "Nah, if you want to hear some elevator music, I've got a little piece called Love Is Blue on my iPod."  I then interrogated him over the possession of such an item in his collection.  He explained that it was from a series called Millennium, specifically an episode where someone is playing it on a loop in the background all the time as part of the creation of a personal hell, the aim of which is to get a bunch of teenage prodigies to revert to mediocrity - that it was a clever episode, and he wanted to remember it.

What both songs do remind me of is the sort of music I heard in restaurants in Italy in the late 70s / early 80s - just imagine him singing that first one in Italian...  It's got that sort of vibe to it.  Without wishing to demean the people playing a certain kind of music in restaurants in Italy, this attribute is unlikely to get me switched on to an artist.  But apparently, once I am switched on to an artist, they can get away with slightly more...  :beaming-face

And now for something completely different.  We have a lot of movie music here, and a couple of years ago I was floored by the actual theme music to a programme we were starting to watch.  It got under my skin, in a very spooky way.  Here it is:

...the way those notes slide around... and just the whole composition...
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on August 04, 2019, 14:45:26Well, that one I found very neutral.  It's not great, and it's not actively horrible.

Yeah it's okay as "background music", but for me it's not really a Waterboys song, it's more like Mike Scott experimenting a bit with drum loops...

Much better is this one, my fave from the new album:

dsanchez

One of the songs of my youth...

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on August 05, 2019, 09:24:28
Quote from: SueC on August 04, 2019, 14:45:26Well, that one I found very neutral.  It's not great, and it's not actively horrible.

Yeah it's okay as "background music", but for me it's not really a Waterboys song, it's more like Mike Scott experimenting a bit with drum loops...

Much better is this one, my fave from the new album:

That one wasn't available in my region!  I got a thirty second sample off Amazon; which was barely enough to get more than the genre.  :? But, I looked at the lyrics and those are really well-written.  :smth023   Looks worth getting.  Here's an example of a shitty review where I can't understand people actually get paid for what they write (not because they don't like it, but because it's so shallow and throwaway, not to mention rude):

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/the-waterboys-where-the-action-is-review-an-unlucky-13th-record-1.3898415

And here's a well-written review that shows an actual understanding of the back catalogue:

https://www.folkradio.co.uk/2019/05/the-waterboys-where-the-action-is/
SueC is time travelling

chemicaloverload

Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

MeltingMan

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

SueC

Here's a cover of it I love... the singing makes my hair stand on end...

SueC is time travelling

chemicaloverload

40 years old and an old favourite

Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

dsanchez

It gives me the chill always...

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo