Weather extremes

Started by j, August 11, 2007, 05:28:50

Previous topic - Next topic

nausearockpig

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 06, 2009, 08:04:07
but i like it because it's  some real winter, not some pussy kind of winter (sorry :-P).

Ha! That's funny..

I'd be a contender for pussy winter for sure.. I whine when it gets down to +10C! We have a lot of warm weather here, 9 mths of the year are warm to hot..

dsanchez

:?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUKL72936

Thousands shiver in Europe's big chill

PARIS, Jan 7 (Reuters) - Temperatures plunged to record lows in Germany and heavy snow forced normally sunny Marseille to close its international airport as freezing winter weather gripped much of Europe on Wednesday.

Port authorities in the Dutch city of Rotterdam deployed an icebreaking ship for the first time 12 years, while in Britain forecasters issued a new severe weather warning.

In the Balkans, thousands shivered in their homes after gas supplies to southeastern Europe were cut as a result of a contract dispute between Russia and Ukraine, reminding many of the freezing winters they endured in the wars of the 1990s.

"It all reminds me of the war when we were freezing, except there is no shooting," said Hilmo Celjo, who stood in a queue near the Bosnian capital Sarajevo to buy wood and coal.

Temperatures sank to record lows in parts of Germany overnight. A weather station in the eastern state of Saxony said the coldest spot was -27.7 degrees Celsius.

Thick snow has covered much of the country and icebreakers were at work on several waterways, including the River Elbe in eastern Germany

"I'm wearing all my warmest clothes, I've got two pairs of socks on. Otherwise drinking hot cocoa helps. We've just been sitting in McDonald's," Cologne resident Florian Densing told Reuters Television.

A 77-year-old woman was found dead outside in the eastern city of Weimar on Monday. She appeared to have frozen to death after she had gone missing from her old people's home.

In France, temperatures dropped as low as -16 degrees Celsius on Wednesday in the north of country, while 40 cm of snow fell in the Marseille region in just a few hours.

Authorities blocked access to nearby motorways and 1,000 motorists were stuck in their cars awaiting rescue services.

Marseille's main Saint Charles train station was paralysed as signalling froze. School buses were cancelled in the entire Bouches du Rhone area, where Marseille is located.

France's Secretary of State for Transport, Dominique Bussereau, demanded an investigation into "unacceptable" chaos at Charles de Gaulle, where hundreds of flights were cancelled and thousands of passengers stranded earlier in the week.

In Albania, remote areas were blocked by heavy snow and isolated villages were being supplied with food by helicopters.

A religious ceremony in which believers plunge into an icy river to retrieve a holy cross was cancelled because of the cold. A hunter killed two wolves which had ventured near the northern Albanian town of Kukes. (Reporting by Catherine Hornby, Martina Fuchs, Jean-Francois Rosnoblet, Anna Mudeva, Maja Zuvela and Benet Koleka; Writing by Giles Elgood)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 06, 2009, 08:04:07
not some pussy kind of winter (sorry :-P).

well, I think I rather stay with the pussy winter in Lima, Peru (the coldest we had was +13 C) :D rather than this cold european -7 C winter :?

but here in Europe are the concerts, so i can handle it :P
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on January 09, 2009, 11:46:32
(the coldest we had was +13 C)

here when the temperature stays above +10 C it's officially considered the beginning of summer (it's called the beginning of the "thermal summer" when defined this way)... the length of this "thermic summer" is about 3-4 months. for the rest of the year it's below +10C on average.
so it looks like you don't actually have a pussy winter in peru - you just have 12 months of summer!

nausearockpig

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 09, 2009, 12:15:48
Quote from: dsanchez on January 09, 2009, 11:46:32
(the coldest we had was +13 C)

here when the temperature stays above +10 C it's officially considered the beginning of summer (it's called the beginning of the "thermal summer" when defined this way)... the length of this "thermic summer" is about 3-4 months. for the rest of the year it's below +10C on average.
so it looks like you don't actually have a pussy winter in peru - you just have 12 months of summer!

That's f*cking insane. Living like that I mean, not the comment or the fact above!

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 09, 2009, 12:15:48

Peru has three different regions, so it depends.

In the coast of Peru (where Lima is), maybe we have "12 months summers", altought this is not true. Lima is a very humide city, with 99% humidity all the time, so even thought "+13 C" seems not that cold, it feels cold because of that

In the jungle (where the Amazon river is) is mostly all the time summer (+25 or above)

However, in the sierra (highlands), it can be f*cking cold. Specially in the last years, the area near the Titicaca Lake have been affected with a very, extreme cold winter, including -5 or -20 C of temperatura, snow and ice. The worst of all, is that people in this area have not the nice warm clothes for a hard winter. It's very sad to see children not wearing proper shoes or dress (see photo below), sleeping in houses without the appropiate heating

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

fiction

Today my shade drank anti-freeze.
again and again and again and again and again and...

lostflower4

When I went outside yesterday morning it was -24° F (-31° C).  :smth009

Hopefully this record will stand for the rest of the year!

fiction

Quote from: lostflower4 on January 16, 2009, 08:21:45

Hopefully this record will stand for the rest of the year!

It´s the same tempeterature as in the northern parts of Sweden right now. But it seems that the mercury is on its way down. Let´s hope for that.
again and again and again and again and again and...

dsanchez

Quote from: lostflower4 on January 16, 2009, 08:21:45

Didn't know you move to Siberia :?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

it must be spring here: it was sunny and it stayed above zero all day today:  +2C. :D
the first day i discarded my winter coat and moved over to my "spring collection". :-P

Trust...

Quote from: japanesebaby on March 14, 2009, 20:30:39
it must be spring here: it was sunny and it stayed above zero all day today:  +2C. :D
the first day i discarded my winter coat and moved over to my "spring collection". :-P

+2C and alleady spring collection ??? Nice to hear it's up to zero  :smth023
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

alwaysprayingforRAIN

Quote from: japanesebaby on March 14, 2009, 20:30:39

and i thought it was cold here!!! about 1°-8 ° C although it did snow yesterday.. just weird it's supposed to be spring
i want flowers and sun dammit!!!! :?
Say hello on a day like today
Say it every time you move
The way that you look at me now
Makes me wish i was you

japanesebaby

Quote from: alwaysprayingforRAIN on March 26, 2009, 17:29:15
i want flowers and sun dammit!!!! :?

me too!  :smth091
it's been really cold (early) spring here, after the first few sunny days it's turned pretty cold again. and now the forecast for the weekend says.... -2C and snow. :?