Tips for Concert Bootlegging

Started by Janko, January 13, 2006, 23:34:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Janko

HERE'S SOME GREAT TIPS ON...

:-D

Tips for Concert Bootlegging

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. What is a Bootleg?
A bootleg is a live recording of a concert. Generally, recording the show is not allowed by most venues. To the best of our knowledge Third Eye Blind are generally pretty cool about people bootlegging with one simple understanding: if they play new songs DON'T post them online!

2. Getting the Recording Device Into the Concert:
Some venues have no rules posted about recording devices, in this case you can usually just walk in with the recorder. If the venue or ticket says "No Cameras or Recording Equipment" then we have a couple suggestions of how to get your recorder into the venue.

Girls, try hiding it in the bottom of your purse. They will never make you dump out your purse to look at everything. Be ready to open your bag and let them look around - most security guards don't check that well. If you have your bag open and ready, they take a quick look and let you go by.

If they are patting down (girls and guys) they usually check your tummy, back and sides. Bring a jacket, put the recorder in the jacket (but don't wear the jacket), and hold the recorder with the jacket wrapped around it. If security checks the jacket they will not know the recorder is really wrapped in the jacket in your hand.

If they are only patting down your sides, put the recorder in the small of your back held in by a belt. Girls can place it in their bra between their breasts or even down their pants. You can also stash the recorder inside your sock and pull your pant leg over it to hide it.

Remember: some venues do have security run their hand up your chest to see if girls are hiding anything there. If security finds the device, just take it back to your car. If you do get the recorder inside the venue and are caught by either staff or crew - don't argue with them, just tell them you will stop the recording or if they want the tape, give them the tape. You can be kicked out of the venue or the recorder can be confiscated. Be nice and keep your sense of humor and people will be nicer to you if you cooperate.

3. Tape Recording (helpful hints):
Tape recorders are lower quality recording but are the cheapest way to make bootlegs. Any tape recorder will do as long as it has a microphone. We recommend CD Quality cassette tapes and 120 minute tapes - keeping in mind that means there are 60 minutes on each side.

Keep track of time - you will have 60 minutes on each side of the tape so if a song ends and it's been 53 minutes, it's your call to try to use the last 7 minutes or to just flip the tape right then. Also when you flip the tape, you can try to rewind side two to the very beginning but it may just be easier to flip the tape and hit record again. That way you won't lose any songs that start in the meantime.

No matter how much or little you scream and yell, it will record your voice and others around you. It's best to keep the recorder lower - like in a purse around waist level or in the pocket of your pants.

4. Mini-Disc Recording (helpful hints):
MiniDiscs record digitally, which is much higher quality recording but they are more expensive.

You'll need to purchase a microphone. The sad truth is the better quality microphones are more expensive - you can pick up a $30 mic at radio shack or order the $380 one from online.

Some minidisc recorders have a "mic line in" and a "line in," plug the microphone into the "line in" - it creates a better recording. BUT if your line in reads "(optical) line in" avoid that plug-in (it won't work with a microphone) and then use the 'mic line in."

Some minidisc recorders skip so you may not want to bounce and jump as much, plus you don't want to drop the recorder and have it break.

Wear quiet clothing, jackets are bad and synthetic shirts are bad. They make too much rustling noise when you move.

Practice recording during the opening act so you can adjust the sound levels. If the level it too high the bootleg will be muffled.

Like the tape recorder, the minidisc recorder will record every scream you and those around you make. Try to put the mic where it won't record your singing and screaming. The best place would be to attach the microphone on a hat.

The minidiscs are 74 to 80 minutes in length. You may have to bring a second disc to the show to record the last part of the concert. When you have to switch discs, remember it may take a couple of seconds to "write" the disc and eject it. Then slip in your second disc and continue to record.

5. Other Things to Keep in Mind
Yes, you may want to change your concert habits.

You can still sing but try singing a little softer, otherwise you will have Stephan, Arion, Brad, and Tony doing backups to your lead vocals.

When you scream, don't do it during the middle of the song. Wait until it's over.

Keep your friends quiet - well we know you cannot force them not to talk. But when they decide to talk to you during the performance, try to get them to talk in your ear and not scream over the music.

Avoid standing next to screamers or use your friends as buffers for the sound.

Front row has the best view but the worst sound quality. If you get stuck in the middle or back of a seated venue, you are actually in a better place to make a recording. Also there is better sound to the sides of the stage. I know, everyone wants to be front row, but truly it's the worst place to record from.

nicked from:

www.thirdeyeblind.net
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

crowbi_wan

lostflower4

Quote from: Janko
Keep your friends quiet - well we know you cannot force them not to talk. But when they decide to talk to you during the performance, try to get them to talk in your ear and not scream over the music.

I never understood this. Everyone's heard a bootleg (or personally experienced) people just babbling away in the middle of a song. I could never imagine doing this. I mean... Hello! The Cure is on stage! :twisted:

When I'm at a Cure concert, I'm just stunned and speechless. I'd consider it a sin to just be mindlessly chatting away with someone in mid-performance. Like I said, I don't understand it! :roll:

crowbi_wan

well, i recorded a local seattle band the other night.  it turned out well.  there's really nothing to it.  i think i scored with the mic i purcheased. :-D

-brian

lostflower4

Wow, congratulations! :-D

It seems you've broken the standard rule that everyone's first recording turns out horrible.

Or maybe you just had beginner's luck. :wink: You've obviously got a good setup, but each venue is a little different. So it definitely wouldn't hurt to get a few more practice runs in before the "big one" comes.

But you're surely on the right track already. 8)

crowbi_wan

it probably was beginners luck.  i'm going to see she wants revenge soon.  they have a sound very similar to the cure.  hopefully that one turns out just as good as my first attempt.  anything worth anything will be made available on dimeadozen.  

i'm transfering audio today and noticed that the only way to digitaly transfer the audio is via optical output.  i don't have anyway to do this.  still i load the files into soundforge and tinker on the eq.  it sounds great. :D

-brian

Anonymous

Are you gonna record the she wants revenge show, because I wouldn't mind having a copy of one of their shows :D

Your Friend,CURETASTRAPHY

crowbi_wan

they're playing seattle on march 12th.  keep your eyes on dimeadozen.org shortly there after.

-brian

lostflower4

I was just having a discussion with someone about how minidisc stuff is transferred to CD. There seems to be a lot of people who say that it's a really bad thing to use analog cables when transferring it to PC. I was arguing the fact that the quality of RCA cables and soundcard makes a big difference too, but they maintained their position.

What you would need is a soundcard with an optical input, but they're not exactly cheap. Are you sure you don't have a S/PDIF coaxial output on your MD recorder too? I have an input for this on my soundcard, and it wasn't overly costly. Both ways will yield the same end result.

I'm really interested in hearing your recordings, even't if they aren't Cure yet. :wink: And the big question... Just how many Cure shows do you plan on going to during the next tour? :-D

bclark93

yes... stay away from analog MD transfers. Unless you have no other
options.

The best way to transfer the MD to CD is via Optical or Coaxial.
Most if not all portable MD recorders/players only have Optical Input, no
outputs. (only analog outputs for headphones, etc)
Some newer HDMD models I hear do have outputs, and can even transfer
the MD directly to your PC.  I'm not familiar with these next generation
minidisc recorders. I'm more familiar with the older ones.

My experience is that I use a standalone (MDS-JB920) >connected to
CDRW drive (Philips CD770) via a moster toslink optical cord.
Then extract the CDRW to the PC via EAC. Then split the range in
CDWave.

Seems like a bit of a hassle, but its always worked error free for me.

Hope this helps!

BC

lostflower4

Quote from: bclark93
My experience is that I use a standalone (MDS-JB920) >connected to
CDRW drive (Philips CD770) via a moster toslink optical cord.
BC

You mean Monster cable, right? :wink:

I think it would be appropriate to ask, exactly what model of MD recorder do you have, Brian? :D

crowbi_wan

i have a sony mz-r90.  http://www.minidisc.org/images/sony_mzr90_2.jpg

it has an optical and mic lines in, and a line out for headphones.  not exactlly the best for transfering.  it was free, though.  as far as inputs on my computer go, i have rca, no coax.  it looks like analog is in my future.  i'm impressed with the sound i got from it.

i'll put my system through many test before the cure hit the road again.  hopefully, they'll play the seattle area on the next tour.  we seemed to get passed over sometimes  :? (prayer and dream tours).  however, i went to three curiosas.  well, two (san fran and sacramento) and the everett show and plan on hitting up the northern cali shows for any future tours.  so, with luck, i'll be attending three shows again.  now, say they do smaller shows and play portland and vancouver, i'd make a week long trip following our boys.  sheesh, the albums not even out and i'm planning on touring with them already 8)

when i get something worthwhile i'll send you a link and let you take a listen.  like you said, just practice.  that's what i plan to do.

ah, here's the mic i have http://www.planetminidisc.com/ecm-ds70p.html

-brian

bclark93

Also I would like to add on the Soundcard part of this subject. If you do intend to digital transfer your Dat's and MD's.

Be very very careful in which soundcard you pick, the majority of the soundcards on the market w/ digital inputs  'resample' the audio during the transfer process.
So if your source is 44.1k, it could go 44.1kHz->48kHz->back to 44.1hHz.
Most of the soundblaster and turtle beach cards in fact do this, and its a headache for us purists.

just do your homework before you get the card, there are many online mailing lists dedicated to this subject.