Live songs: the most played vs. the least played

Started by revolt, July 18, 2008, 16:23:13

Previous topic - Next topic

revolt

Here's some interesting information that can be found at http://www.foreverdrowning.net:

The alltime Top 10 most played Cure songs

1 - A forest : 762 times
2 - Inbetween days : 655 times
3 - Boys don't cry : 646 times
4 - Just like heaven : 572 times
5 - 10.15 Saturday night : 532 times
6 - The walk : 490 times
7 - Play for today : 489 times
8 - Killing an Arab : 489 times
9 - Fascination Street : 464 times
10 - Let's go to bed : 464 times

In contrast with this, of the original Cure songs that have been actually played at proper concerts, 'A thousand hours' holds a record: it was played only once, as an encore, in 15/7/1987, at the LA Forum, Los Angeles, USA. I checked the setlist for this concert, to see if there was anything else special about it, but apparently no.

Lostflowerboy

Interesting list.
Any other songs that have only be played less than let's say 5 times?

rodney

Doubt has never been played live.  Any other album songs never played live?

KingOfSomeIsland

Rare Album Tracks:
So What - Never played Live
Three - Never played live although it was the basis for Forever
Doubt - Never played live
A Thousand Hours - Once in 1987
Icing Sugar - Never
Just Say Yes - Once in 2002

tigermilk

Here's a few under 10 that haven't been mentioned yet:
Cut here : 4 times
Hey you!!! : 4 times
Meathook : 4 times
The 13th : 5 times
Wendy time : 7 times
Taking off : 7 times
I don't know what's going on : 7 times
Do the hansa : 8 times
Object : 9 times
Lament : 9 times

Interesting ones:
Happy the man : 49 times (wow, a lot of times for a b-side, especially since Lament has only been played 9 times)
A Japanese dream : 50 times (love this song, didn't realise it has been played so much at shows. Should have been on Wish.)
Round & round & round : 60 times (i guess as a thankyou to the fans)
This Twilight Garden (NEVER PLAYED).... why is this?

http://www.foreverdrowning.net/stats.php?order=time&stat=all&annee=

OnniHopeDream

Wonder if they'll ever play One More Time or All Cats are Gray again. Love those songs to death
And every day that I let slide Is one more day I never try To break the world To make my fate And with every day that I let go It's one day less I never know If it's always Always too late...

Lostflowerboy

The 13th, To the sky, 2 Late, Icing sugar, Burn, Lament

would make a decent encore. If only... :(

revolt

Quote from: revolt on July 18, 2008, 16:23:13

If we consider only concerts from the 1990's and 2000's, I have a feeling that the list might be different... Does anyone have the time or the patience to check it?

scary_aunty

the rarest songs i've heard live seem to be the faith healer and don't believe a word. both played 4 times. and both are not cure songs;)

revolt

Quote from: tigermilk on July 19, 2008, 16:18:33

A Japanese dream : 50 times (love this song, didn't realise it has been played so much at shows. Should have been on Wish.)

It was a live staple in the Kissing Tour days, it used to be setlist song number 4...

Actually, I think it's one of the weakest songs from that era, not really bad, but merely okay-ish, music and lyrics. It's to KMKMKM sessions more or less what 'Out of Mind' is to the 'Disintegration' sessions, the difference being that I think OoM is actually a good song.

revolt

Quote from: revolt on July 18, 2008, 16:23:13

In the post-Disintegration days (1990-2008), the statistics become quite different:

1. Just like heaven: 448 times
2. Inbetween days: 446 times
3. From the Edge of the Deep Gree Sea: 437 times
4. Fascination Street: 392 times
5. Boys don't cry: 371 times
6. A forest: 360 times
7. Lullaby: 347 times
8. Pictures of You: 318 times
9. Lovesong: 275  times
10. Why can't I be you?: 265 times

'A Forest' drops to nr.6, JLY becomes nr.1 and there are now 4 'Disintegration' singles in the top 10...

KingOfSomeIsland

I can't believe they play LGTB so much, I hate that song >_<

revolt

Quote from: KingOfSomeIsland on July 22, 2008, 06:14:36

Well, apparently they don't play it that much anymore. The song doen't feature in the 1990-2008 top 10...

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on July 22, 2008, 10:36:21

Well, apparently they don't play it that much anymore.

actually, they play it all the time these days...

The song doen't feature in the 1990-2008 top 10...

well, 1990-2008 is a pretty long period of time, it's almost 20 years - that's a lot of tours, lots of albums, lots of songs to choose from... :!:
so i think it completely depends on which years/tours one's looking at there. they did play it all the time during wish tour, regularly during WMS but it didn't exactly fit on the dream tour profile (for obvious reasons). etc. 

raw statistics like this are surely interesting in certain ways to certain extent, but it's very vague info in the end, for making any further assumptions. it's too vague mostly because it doesn't take the context (=the tour in question) into consideration.

thus i personally find it more interesting looking at statistics of individual tours (=what exactly got played in which context). and after that maybe compare tours with each other, to see the differencies/changes in balance instead of slamming almost 20 years of "live time" into one.
anyway, just my opinion.

(by the way, is this statistics part of the foreverdrowning database updated regularly these days?)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on July 22, 2008, 10:46:34
Quote from: revolt on July 22, 2008, 10:36:21

Well, apparently they don't play it that much anymore.

actually, they play it all the time these days...

The song doen't feature in the 1990-2008 top 10...

well, 1990-2008 is a pretty long period of time, it's almost 20 years - that's a lot of tours, lots of albums, lots of songs to choose from... :!:
so i think it completely depends on which years/tours one's looking at there. they did play it all the time during wish tour, regularly during WMS but it didn't exactly fit on the dream tour profile (for obvious reasons). etc. 

raw statistics like this are surely interesting in certain ways to certain extent, but it's very vague info in the end, for making any further assumptions. it's too vague mostly because it doesn't take the context (=the tour in question) into consideration.

thus i personally find it more interesting looking at statistics of individual tours (=what exactly got played in which context). and after that maybe compare tours with each other, to see the differencies/changes in balance instead of slamming almost 20 years of "live time" into one.
anyway, just my opinion.

(by the way, is this statistics part of the foreverdrowning database updated regularly these days?)

I just chose the 1990-2008 period to narrow down our universe, since my first post was about the ALL TIME most played... I had the feeling, from reading setlits across the years, that Disintegration songs were some of the most played and I thought it would be interesting to have a statistical confirmation of that.

Anyway, the only proper tour where LGTB wouldn't probably fit was the Dream Tour (but they did play some pop songs on that tour, no?), in all other tours it would be more than alright. And remember that in this period there were a whole lot of festival concerts, where LGTB would indeed fit like a glove. In contrast, a song like 'Why Can't I be You', which is as poppy and silly as LGtB, does indeed feature in the top 10 of the same period.

Concerning the update status of the site, they feature all statistics of the 2008 American tour, so I suppose there's no problem there... (And indeed, to reach those results I had to check statistics for all years for all the mentioned songs plus a few more that aren't there, so I should know...  :-D )