recording

Started by crowbi_wan, January 13, 2006, 00:23:42

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

i recently aquired a sony md recorder from a friend and bought a sony ecm-ds70p stereo mic.  does anyone have any experience recording with this equipment?  or, any experience recording at all?  i've never attempted to record live audio before and could use some pointers.  gotta get some trial recordings done before the next cure tour.

-brian

lostflower4

Never done it before, but it's become an interest of mine to see "how it's done". There are a couple good threads at http://www.foreverdrowning.com/torrent. I can't give the direct links because it's in Java format. One thread is brand new and easy to find, but the other more informative one is buried a bit somewhere in the forums. However, it's worthwhile to find it!

But a few main points... The location of you relative to the speakers is  crucial. And another is practice, practice, practice. Go to as many gigs as possible before the next Cure tour. Even free/cheap ones of bands you don't care for. This will make you much better prepped for when you see   the bands you cherish. :wink:

Best of luck! :smt023

bclark93

yes.... put these many months to practice.

first step:

Go to different venues... record different types of music (classic,rock,etc).
Test getting your recording levels and timings down correctly.
By the time you are on your 4th or 5th recording you should most down pat.

second step:

go find the 'sweet spot' in the venue! every venue has one.
its usually in front of the soundboard, within the first 20 or so rows.

But in some venues (like Radio City Music Hall) the 'sweet spot' can be found  on the balcony.

Just record...record...record.  

Have fun!!

BC

crowbi_wan

thanks for the suggestions.  i go to several club shows and will no doubt get plety of opportunities to practice.  

-brian