Prayer Tour Memories - 20th Anniversary

Started by ChoonyFish, June 10, 2009, 17:06:36

Previous topic - Next topic

ChoonyFish

I'm feeling a little nostalgic - it's 20 years this year since my first ever concert - Birmingham NEC 20th July.

It was a magical time, I was only 16.  The coach trip down (on my own), the anticipation - and the gig itself was beyond what I expected.  One of my best memories ever.

Hopefully on the anniversary of the day itself I'll be able to fit in a listen to the old bootleg of that very gig.  And I'll probably feel very sad about the passing of time and not being young anymore!

Just felt like I needed to share that with someone!  :)

wish-man

and the way the rain comes down thats how I feel inside...

ChoonyFish

Quote from: wish-man on June 10, 2009, 18:48:18

Cool memories!  :smth023 are you British?

Yeah.  Shame they don't play that many UK gigs anymore.  Especially north of London!

othervoices

Birmingham NEC on 20th July 1989 - It was my first cure gig too - travelled on a coach from Newcastle to Birmingham with 40+ geordie cure fans... great stuff!

At the time it I thought it would be the only chance I had to see them live!

othervoices

here's a pic of me and my cousin in our prayer tour t-shirts - purchased at the birmingham gig, worn proudly at the O2 in Feb 2009. Hairs a bit greyer now and the shirt has faded a bit!

ChoonyFish

Quote from: othervoices on June 11, 2009, 16:29:44
Birmingham NEC on 20th July 1989 - It was my first cure gig too - travelled on a coach from Newcastle to Birmingham with 40+ geordie cure fans... great stuff!

At the time it I thought it would be the only chance I had to see them live!

Wow, that's so cool!  I travelled from litle old Rochdale (north of Manchester) with a coach-load of strangers.  I was so naive, it was the first time I'd seen goths!  It was so exciting!   :-D  The weather was great too - the whole day was magic.

I couldn't afford a t-shirt as I was a poor schoolkid, but I got a tour programme and poster. I did however, buy that t-shirt at some point - I remember owning it.  Wouldn't fit me now!

Do you have any photos from the gig itself?  I've searched the web many times for some.  I took a camera, but the pics didn't come out - just some blurry blobs.  I've only ever found one other person who was at that gig and had just this one photo:

alwaysprayingforRAIN

very cool pictures and stuff everybody!!!!
i wish i had a memory of this, being born would have helped a lot ;)
Say hello on a day like today
Say it every time you move
The way that you look at me now
Makes me wish i was you

Trust...

Quote from: alwaysprayingforRAIN on June 11, 2009, 17:15:32
i wish i had a memory of this, being born would have helped a lot ;)

:D alwaysprayingforRAIN your first cure-gig is somewhere, maybe someday and then you gonna feel what they are writing here. Take some pictures then, buy a shirt and post it here 20 years later  :-D
And further, enjoy the music and hold on your dreams  ;)
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

Trust...

And to the others. Really nice memories  :smth023
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

alwaysprayingforRAIN

i know i am whining again i am just soooooooooo jealous ;)
and i am definitely going for that 'post it here in twenty years' thing!!! and if i am the only one still posting here!!  :smth023
(which i am convinced won't be the case since we are a bunch of crazy cure fans with a long memory..)
Makes me wish i was you

ChoonyFish

Quote from: alwaysprayingforRAIN on June 11, 2009, 22:20:27
i know i am whining again i am just soooooooooo jealous ;)

Have you never seen them live?  Or is it just that you were too young to have seen them on that classic tour?

alwaysprayingforRAIN

yeah I'm seventeen and i only discovered them in winter 2008 so i missed the last tour as well.  :roll:
btw respect to you all for staying a fan for so long!!! 20 years is pretty impressive!!!  :smth023
Makes me wish i was you

ChoonyFish

Quote from: alwaysprayingforRAIN on June 12, 2009, 14:42:50
yeah I'm seventeen and i only discovered them in winter 2008 so i missed the last tour as well.  :roll:

That's cool.  I'm always amazed they can still pick up new fans, especially young people who normally think of anyone over 30 as being ancient.   :-D

alwaysprayingforRAIN

Quote from: ChoonyFish on June 12, 2009, 14:56:52
Quote from: alwaysprayingforRAIN on June 12, 2009, 14:42:50

That's cool.  I'm always amazed they can still pick up new fans, especially young people who normally think of anyone over 30 as being ancient.   :-D

it really is amazing!! kind of starting a dialogue between the generations.. maybe we have more in common than we think :)
(you can be ancient and cool at the same time  :-D )
Makes me wish i was you

ChoonyFish

20 years ago today. 

At ths moment 20 years ago I was on the coach to Birmingham.  Excited as Hell.

I feel really sad.  I miss being 16 years old!