Gods and Alcoves - goth, alternative and post-punk from 1979 to 1989

Started by godsandalcoves, December 27, 2011, 23:23:50

Previous topic - Next topic

godsandalcoves

Greetings from Gods & Alcoves,

Last week I launched the "Gods and Alcoves" website (www.godsandalcoves.com), dedicated to goth, alternative and post-punk from 1979 to 1989, and I wanted to let you know about it.  The website has discographies, gigographies and TV/radio appearances for the following bands:

•   bauhaus
•   the birthday party
•   the boys next door
•   the cult
•   the cure
•   dalis car
•   death cult
•   joy division
•   killing joke
•   love and rockets
•   nick cave and the bad seeds
•   play dead
•   siouxsie and the banshees
•   the sisterhood
•   the sisters of mercy
•   the southern death cult
•   tones on tail
•   uk decay

The website information can be viewed by band, or by year (where all of the band information is aggregated).  Here are some bits from the website:

When punk's brief fire burned out, the emerging post-punk, alternative and goth bands took the punk ethos and energy in different directions. The period from 1979 - 1989 provided the richest source of music and this site is a record of the bands records, gigs, sessions and people from that golden era.

But this is only the first iteration of the site. Although it contains 730 records, over 1,100 songs, over 3,400 gigs, over 100 people and almost 450 images it doesn't yet contain any reviews, cuttings, clippings, flyers or any of the other memorabilia from the era.

We have a large pile to be scanned in, but we are looking to you, our website visitors, to share your artifacts and help this site become the outstanding goth, alternative and post-punk resource on the web.

Please visit the site and, if you are an old-school fan of these bands, consider sharing any tickets, flyers, posters, interviews, clippings, cuttings, adverts, press releases, inserts or literally anything you have lying around. We have a huge pile of press clippings and tickets, but we want to try and collect together as many pieces of memorabilia as possible.

If you have any queries, or want to get involved, please either leave a message here (and I will check in periodically), or get hold of me through the Gods and Alcoves website.

Thanks, and I hope to see you soon.

G&A