The Cure album 2004 (vinyl disc)

Started by dsanchez, August 26, 2005, 00:22:58

Previous topic - Next topic

arielcc

the cure album is weak itself i dont hink if you could add any song it would be better!
but the best solution for me could have been to make two different albums
something like this

the cure 1

us or them
labirynth
before 3
the end of the world
alt end
taking off
never
the promise

the cure 2

lost
anniversary
truth goodness and beauty
your god is fear
fake
i dont know what's going on
why can't i be me
going nowhere
this morning

btw, i gave a listen to the vinyl and compared it against the cd!
and i can say that the vinyl sounds by far better than the cd!!!
so try it, if you like this album, you will enjoy it much more!

ariel

Verity

iv always hated wish - it does feature some great songs but apart from high and friday i'm in love, the live versions are really superior to the studio versions
and as a "concept" the album doesn't make sense to me at all - what the f*** was wendy time about ? and "to wish impossible things" is another remake of "wailing wall" (as the snakepit already was)
the heavy guitar songs simply don't fit with the lighter songs
"cut" belongs to another band, but is not a cure song

i was really really unhappy with this album - in fact i never bought it and haven't bought a more recent cure album since

smitha

there was ever a kinda strange thing happening when selecting the songs and b-sides. Take a look at WMS. Then listen to the b-sides. I've made my own selection cuting off some tracks and adding the b-sides and there is a good album with some very good songs.

askbill

Quote from: Verityiv always hated wish - it does feature some great songs but apart from high and friday i'm in love, the live versions are really superior to the studio versions

I totally agree, I like the songs live so after awhile I put on the studio album and I think...these sound terrible!

splitmilk34

I really think that Geffen screwed up the release of "The Cure" in 2004.  It could have been one of the greats if the release had the missing tracks on it (This Morning, Why Can't I Be Me, Your God is Fear, Going Nowhere, Fake, etc).  Thank god for the singles & the internet, b/c I've since made my own "revised" version of The Cure!
"... sleeping less every night"

crowbi_wan

speaking about wish, robert wanted to make it a double album.  the record company said no.  if memory servres, when it was decided to be released as a single album, he wanted to put this twilight garden on instead of wendy time.  or maybe it was he wanted to but there were enough slow tracks.  i can't remember.  wasn't it on the on the yahoo album retrospective where he talks about this?    :smt017

-brian

:smt020  the cure, minneapolis 1996

lostflower4

Quote from: crowbi_wanspeaking about wish, robert wanted to make it a double album.  the record company said no.  if memory servres, when it was decided to be released as a single album, he wanted to put this twilight garden on instead of wendy time.  or maybe it was he wanted to but there were enough slow tracks.  i can't remember.  wasn't it on the on the yahoo album retrospective where he talks about this?    :smt017

-brian

:smt020  the cure, minneapolis 1996

Yeah, that was on the album retrospective thing. It's probably good that Wish was released as a single album because it turned out to be mega popular. Maybe it would have been regardless, but I think The Cure received some much deserved recognition from that album. They were on MTV constantly during the summer of '92. I'm not sure I would have ever discovered them had it not been for that!

But who knows what else might have made the double album. I'm sure there are more gems out there other than the B-sides and Lost Wishes. I remember Robert mentioned a song called "A Wave". Here's an article from 1991 with lots of interesting pre-Wish discussion:

http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cure/press/I12.html

To answer the question about Wendy Time, I remember Robert said it was about a time when he cheated on Mary while on tour. He had another woman for a brief time. For this reason Mary hates the song, and that explains why it was only played live a handful of times.

I myself love Wish. It was the first album I heard, and it made me fall in love with them instantly. My only complaint is that the drums aren't loud enough. Boris is pounding away like a madman on some songs, and it's just too quiet compared to the previous albums. Shame on whoever mixed this!

smitha

"To answer the question about Wendy Time, I remember Robert said it was about a time when he cheated on Mary while on tour. He had another woman for a brief time. For this reason Mary hates the song, and that explains why it was only played live a handful of times. "

Caley... are you sure Robert had another woman? I know this is not related directly with the subject, but... i never heard about it.

lostflower4

Quote from: smitha
Caley... are you sure Robert had another woman? I know this is not related directly with the subject, but... i never heard about it.

The article I read said that Robert had an affair with a woman he met on tour. It lasted for a short while. I believe it was the 1987 US Tour. I regret I can't give you anymore info right now. I can't remember where I saw this, but I'll try my best to find it.

lostflower4

Just found this...

http://www.thecure.com/archive/curenewspages/the%20x%20files/cn14.html

If you scroll down toward the bottom, in the "inspirations" part Robert tells what various songs are about. For Wendy Time, he says "an incident!" That sounds very typical of Robert, being coy about something personal.

And yes, it's strange how this conversation has moved from The Cure's last album and vinyl records to Robert having an affair! :smt017

No luck finding any more info, but we'll see...

smitha

thank you
it's strange... i always found him completely in love with mary. But...Robert having an affair just makes him human after all.

splitmilk34

What an odd "development" ... it also could be Robert playing around with the media... letting false info "leak"  like he's done in the past... i dunno?
"... sleeping less every night"

bluewater

To get back to the subject...

I think the cure 2004 (cd) is the greatest sounding cure cd ever, sonically.

And to get off from the subject again...

The greatest sounding cd ever made is in my opinion the church?s almost-masterpiece "after everything now this". That?s the only thing
i wouldn?t ever encode to mp3 or listen in vinyl lp, because of the heartbreaking pure sound that cd has.

-bluewater
Life's too short to listen to lossy music

nausearockpig

1. i had to buy about three different versions [and of course all the various versions of all the singles] to get the Full Album.. then was given the vinyl so i got the "correct" track listing from that and made myself a 17 track CD that has all the songs on it.

kind of pissed off that i had to do all that. it's not like the vinyl of Wish or the other records have the b-sides on there so making a "full" version of Wish is a little different. for me at least...

2. ROBERT CHEATING ON MARY????? what the f*ck?

if that's true, it's really disappointing.
i know he, like the rest of us is human and has failings, but that's the worst of them all [drugs, booze, gambling, lying].
i guess i hoped [and still do hope] that he would be level-headed enough to not fall into that trap..

J

wickedchild

I really hope there are some more gems from the Wish period.
Wish is not perfect (Wendy Time as an example IMO) but has some very powerful tracks (Open !!!)
I like making alternative versions of the album by including B-sides.
I do not always understand the decisions regarding which track will be an album track  :roll: