LP13 Delayed... Again?!

Started by Bloodflower, July 16, 2008, 23:32:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodflower

From Craig at COF:

Not 100% confirmed, but the word out of Universal today is that the new album has been pushed back a month, probably until Oct. 13th. Don't freak out! Let's wait and hear what Robert says about it. If true, maybe we get a bonus single? Or something else? Not trying to spin it, but I'll actually be very happy if it comes out in Oct. instead of Sept.

-------------

Double album?
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

crowbi_wan

Why am I not surprised?

I wonder if it has anything to do with booking some promo shows?  Although the rumor I heard was that there would be shows to coincide with the 30th anniversary...which is next year.  Hard to tell what is going on when it's all just rumors and the official news is beyond delayed.  :roll:

rodney

I doubt that we'll see both 30th anniversary shows and promo shows.  Unless that the 30th shows are done next summer (which I'd prefer) and the band maybe played smaller venues than they did for Curiosa (which was always in places far too big for the bands' popularity).

KingOfSomeIsland

If they delay it again it had better be a double album :evil:

although we should probably wait until the official site says something

scatcat

yep: confirmed by Robert on official site:

OCTOBER 13TH...
7/16/2008 10:13:31 PM - by CURE:ROBERT

IS THE LATEST RELEASE DATE OF OUR
(AS YET UNTITLED)
NEW ALBUM...

AUGUST 13TH WILL SEE THE RELEASE OF OUR 4TH 'MIX 13' SINGLE
'THE PERFECT BOY'
B/W ANOTHER 'NOT ON THE ALBUM' SONG
'WITHOUT YOU'

SEPTEMBER 13TH WILL SEE THE RELEASE OF AN EP
COMPRISING THE FIRST 4 SINGLES
'THE ONLY ONE' / 'FREAKSHOW' / 'SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD' / 'THE PERFECT BOY'
REMIXED BY...
*SURPRISE REMIXERS*!!!
(sighs... remembers those pre-web golden days of surprise... )

ALL ROYALTIES FROM THIS EP RELEASE
(EVEN THOSE DUE THE MIGHTY 'U' WE HOPE!)
WILL GO TO...
WELL WE HAVEN'T QUITE DECIDED YET!

SINCE WE GOT BACK FROM AMERICA
I HAVE BEEN MIXING PARIS
AND CHARLOTTE
AND NYC SHOWS FOR TV/DVD

AND I NEED A BIT MORE TIME
TO PUT THE FINISHING TOUCHES TO THE ALBUM...
TO DECIDE ON WHAT SONGS MAKE THE FINAL CUT...
AND IN WHAT ORDER...
(frowns... wonders if a 17 song 80 minute album is a double... ?)

SO...
OCTOBER 13TH IT IS THEN...

UNTIL THE NEXT POSTPONEMENT?
HA!!!
RSX

:smth020
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

wish-man

Well, Im glad tht new album will be realesed in Oct.!  :smth023
(I don't know why, but Im really happy about this)  :-D
and the way the rain comes down thats how I feel inside...

revolt

Quote from: scatcat on July 17, 2008, 08:47:57
UNTIL THE NEXT POSTPONEMENT?
HA!!!
RSX

Until the next postponement!? You gotta give it to Robert, he surely has his sense of humour intact...  :-D

I think all these postponements together with the disappointing new single releases are unfortunately a sign that these Dream 13 sessions haven't produced much quality material. Robert himself can't seem to be able to decide once and for all what to do with the whole thing. If the new album turns out to be good it will be a surprise, at least for me...

Anyway, I really hope it won't be a double, because I don't know of any REALLY GOOD double CD releases (compilations and live recordings aside, that is)!

Lostflowerboy

Quote from: revolt on July 17, 2008, 10:48:27

I think all these postponements together with the disappointing new single releases are unfortunately a sign that these Dream 13 sessions haven't produced much quality material. Robert himself can't seem to be able to decide once and for all what to do with the whole thing. If the new album turns out to be good it will be a surprise, at least for me...

Anyway, I really hope it won't be a double, because I don't know of any REALLY GOOD double CD releases (compilations and live recordings aside, that is)!

Don't take your own oppinion on the new singles as the only existing one. I'd call them anything but "dissapointing", for me they are great pop tunes (and that's what most Cure Singles have always been), by far better than the last five Singles ("Cut here" -> "Taking off"). And don't ignore the fact that the new singles received mainly positive reviews by the media.
As the B-Sides und the yet unreleased live tracks are great as well, I'm pretty convinced that the album will be a killer.

nausearockpig

another ep with more mixes..... well we've waited this long, what's another month....

revolt

Quote from: Lostflowerboy on July 17, 2008, 13:16:12

Don't take your own oppinion on the new singles as the final truth in the history of mankind.

I don't. There is no such thing as a final truth. I just happen to prefer my opinion to the opinions of other people, which is only natural. I suppose most other participants in this forum could say the same thing about their own opinions...  :-D

Don't take your own oppinion on the new singles as the final truth in the history of mankind. I'd call them anything but "dissapointing", for me they are great pop tunes (and that's what most Cure Singles have always been), by far better than the last five Singles ("Cut here" -> "Taking off").

Well, I don't think that they are better than "End of the World"... And maybe not better than "Taking Off", also, which had an uninspiring chorus but also a really catchy main guitar riff in the verses... Anyway, those 5 releases should not be the standard, because they are not good enough. If Robert's intention, as he himself as mentioned, is "draw people into the Cure world again", the new pop singles woud have to be more impressive. It's hard to imagine new people starting to like The Cure because of these new singles or even old fans who had already given up on the group suddenly finding that they like The Cure again because of "The Only One" or "Freakshow"...

And don't ignore the fact that the new singles received mainly positive reviews by the media.

Well, but what media are those? If you are referring to the media reviews that have been posted on the COF blog, most of those are poorly written and give the impression that said critics either don't have a clue or are rabid Cure fans that will eat up each and every thing the band releases just because it is The Cure...

rodney

Quote from: revolt on July 17, 2008, 13:57:44
Well, but what media are those? If you are referring to the media reviews that have been posted on the COF blog, most of those are poorly written and give the impression that said critics either don't have a clue or are rabid Cure fans that will eat up each and every thing the band releases just because it is The Cure...

Isn't that the state of the music media today?  The major magazines (Rolling Stone, Spin, Entertainment Weekly) have all had blurbs about what a refreshing marketing plan this is, and if you don't like the blogs fine, but they ARE major players in music now, making and bands popular that don't see much radio airplay (see Vampire Weekend and Tapes & Tapes).  Poorly written?  Sometimes.  Important in 2008?  Absolutely.

The industry and the ways of promoting itself properly have changed greatly.

Lostflowerboy

Quote from: revolt on July 17, 2008, 13:57:44

Don't take your own oppinion on the new singles as the final truth in the history of mankind.

I don't. There is no such thing as a final truth. I just happen to prefer my opinion to the opinions of other people, which is only natural. I suppose most other participants in this forum could say the same thing about their own opinions...  :-D

I already changed that sentence, 'cause it sounded sort of harsh.  ;)
From my point of view it's just frustrating to see people bashing the singles over and over again (and on the other hand call mediocre tracks like "This morning" and the uninspired "Your god is fear" masterpieces). I'm not a desperate die hard fan with my head in Robert's ass, but I love those new songs and they sound way better than I expected after the recent band output (not even to mention the collaborations). 

Don't take your own oppinion on the new singles as the final truth in the history of mankind. I'd call them anything but "dissapointing", for me they are great pop tunes (and that's what most Cure Singles have always been), by far better than the last five Singles ("Cut here" -> "Taking off").

Well, I don't think that they are better than "End of the World"... And maybe not better than "Taking Off", also, which had an uninspiring chorus but also a really catchy main guitar riff in the verses... Anyway, those 5 releases should not be the standard, because they are not good enough. If Robert's intention, as he himself as mentioned, is "draw people into the Cure world again", the new pop singles woud have to be more impressive. It's hard to imagine new people starting to like The Cure because of these new singles or even old fans who had already given up on the group suddenly finding that they like The Cure again because of "The Only One" or "Freakshow"...

Well, to get back those old fans the band should trash all their post 1982 releases (except Disintegration and Bloodflowers), 'cause things went off track with "Lovecats" for those Goths.  ;)
Actually I know people that discovered the band via the new singles, so they can't be that bad. Maybe it's really a question of the level of expectations. After 30 years in business Robert will not sit down and write songs on the level of "Just like heaven" easily. But 3 good A-Sides and 3 even better B-Sides, with the best Single (judging from the live version) yet to come is far more than you can expect realistically.

And don't ignore the fact that the new singles received mainly positive reviews by the media.

I agree about those reviews on COF, but at least 50% of the "serious" reviews are positive as well, which is a good ratio for dinosaurs like The Cure. 

revolt

Quote from: rodney on July 17, 2008, 14:28:10

Isn't that the state of the music media today?  The major magazines (Rolling Stone, Spin, Entertainment Weekly) have all had blurbs about what a refreshing marketing plan this is

But it's one thing to previously applaud the 4 singles MARKETING plan and it's another to praise the MUSIC that is actually released in those singles... Have the mentioned magazines also given the singles glowing reviews?

The thing is, I also think that the marketing plan was a good idea, I just don't think that The Cure had the tunes to enable that plan to be a complete success... Hell, I can also give positive reviews to 2 of the 3 singles: 'The Only One" is kind of nice and 'Sleep When I'm Dead' has a beautiful intro. There. I just think that these "positive" features are not enough.

rubcure

I was expecting that album for my (self) birthday gift  :smth011 so... another month until the next postponement?  :?
[center][size=10pt][font=arial][color=black]"...and the way the rain comes down hard is how i feel inside..."[/color][/font][/size][/center]

Purple Orchid

Quote from: scatcat on July 17, 2008, 08:47:57

OCTOBER 13TH...
7/16/2008 10:13:31 PM - by CURE:ROBERT

SINCE WE GOT BACK FROM AMERICA
I HAVE BEEN MIXING PARIS
AND CHARLOTTE
AND NYC SHOWS FOR TV/DVD

Another DVD with the same Line-up????
Urghhhh!!!!
Do I have to buy it?
Would my collection be considered "incompleteif I don't???
It might remain just as my Festival 2005 DVD...
Unopened...
...when suddenly, behind a tree, I appear
strange mixture of the one-before-the-last wanderer
and first stowaway on the trip to Venus.
Half melon on the head and the stripes of the shirt painted on the skin,
but only you see me...