Trilogy on blu-ray

Started by japanesebaby, January 22, 2009, 11:35:17

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

looks like the blu-ray edition for 'trilogy' is indeed going to be released soon:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=3707&show=review

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/8337434/The-Cure-Trilogy-Live-In-Berlin/Product.html

anyone planning to try? i don't have the equipment myself.

no new extras included on this edition.
and by the way i just saw someone on another forum saying how this release is an upgrade to the dvd version because the audio is uncompressed. but if my memory serves well, i think the original 2-dvd release already had lossless PCM, so that's no upgrade.
(and i assume the audio is still mixed as it was in the original release).
so it would an upgrade only picture-wise, i guess(?).

so instead, how about that re-release of 'show' too, at least...? 
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

I just know that on the NTSC DVD of Trilogy, the stereo audio track is lossless, but the surround sound track is lossy.

Perhaps all the audio tracks are lossless on the Blu-Ray version?

I think this is supposed to be one of the "advantages" Blu-Ray releases, although I'm not sure how often it's actually the case.

But agreed: If they haven't changed the mix from the orignal I really couldn't care what the audio spec is. It's just going to be "clearer" bad mix.  *roll*

Cold Colours

Wish I could find a Blu-ray copy around my way.  All I ever see in the shops is the standard DVD edition.  I could always order it up from the interweb but where's the f*cking fun in that.

The difference between TrueHD DTS 5.1 surround sound throughput from HDMI out is night and day compared to straight PCM stereo.  There is a difference and it is beautiful.  Most casual viewers probably won't notice much difference but to those who care about such things, it is impressive.  Hoping beyond hope that someone releases high-def versions of either Show or In Orange or better yet both.  It's high time there was a reissue of the long-desired digital versions of those incredible concert films.  That will be a day long remembered when it comes.
[i]Follow me to where the real fun is[/i]

japanesebaby

Quote from: Cold Colours on February 08, 2009, 06:55:26
The difference between TrueHD DTS 5.1 surround sound throughput from HDMI out is night and day compared to straight PCM stereo.  There is a difference and it is beautiful.  Most casual viewers probably won't notice much difference but to those who care about such things, it is impressive. 

i don't deny that at all. surely the surround sound makes a difference (as does any choice of equipment you use to listen to your music: crap speakers mean crap sound, however great potential the sound had. and so on.).
what i actually meant above was that it's a pity that the sound on trilogy is/was originally so badly mixed - without a new mix (which i don't think has been done) it's never going to sound as good as it really deserved to sound, be it surround or not.
not a complaint, just an observation.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine