2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Andy's reaction:
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

josmagerotte

Hello all,
I'm desesperatly trying to find why some members of the band are not mentionned on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame web site. Are they, then, not inducted ? We should think that because of Andy's reaction. But what's then the explanation. What is the selection process? What is the use for this kind of induction ? Do someone have a real documented answer ?

Ulrich

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Quote from: josmagerotte on December 18, 2018, 17:43:53
I'm desesperatly trying to find why some members of the band are not mentionned on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame web site. Are they, then, not inducted ?
What is the selection process? What is the use for this kind of induction ? Do someone have a real documented answer ?

Not really, as the "Hall of Fame" is very reluctant in giving out real info!
As far as I know, only those mentioned will be inducted.

Found this via wiki:
There is also controversy in the lack of transparency in the selection process. Janet Morrissey of The New York Times wrote:
"With fame and money at stake, it's no surprise that a lot of backstage lobbying goes on. Why any particular act is chosen in any particular year is a mystery to performers as well as outsiders – and committee members say they want to keep it that way."
Jon Landau, the chairman of the nominating committee, says they prefer it that way. "We've done a good job of keeping the proceedings nontransparent. It all dies in the room."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame

As to why certain members are not mentioned: I can only guess the HoF committee saw them as "unimportant" for the history of the band?
With Reeves it is clear: he has joined recently, so he's not included, as they only choose band members from "back in the day" (Roger joined 30+ years ago, JC has been there for 23+ years).
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

Quote from: josmagerotte on December 18, 2018, 17:43:53Do someone have a real documented answer ?

Welcome to Curefans!

There's no documented answer but the reasons why some former (or current) Cure members were not selected are pretty clear to me:

Anderson, Hartley and Thornalley appear in only one album of the band and stayed there no longer than two year so there's little reason to induct them. Now, you might wonder why Dempsey was inducted despite having been with the band barely three years and present in only one album of The Cure as well, but the answer is simple: he, along Bob and Lol FOUNDED the band.

Reeves has been about seven years with The Cure, but the band has not released anything during his tenure, hence no reason to be inducted either.

Every member who has been inducted has been part of the best period of The Cure, except Cooper. Cooper, however, is with the band +20 years and have played in the band's last four albums including the latest great Cure album - Bloodflowers. Therefore Cooper has earned the right to be inducted as well.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Lol gave an interview to SiriusXM radio some hours ago and this is what he had to say about The Cure's induction:

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

And here's what Roger had to say about The Cure's performance at HoF (if it will include past members or not):

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: josmagerotte on December 18, 2018, 17:43:53
I'm desesperatly trying to find why some members of the band are not mentionned on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame web site. Are they, then, not inducted ?

Lol was asked this question and this is what he said to Rolling Stone:

QuoteRolling Stone: They're taking in you, Robert Smith, Porl Thompson, Perry Bamonte, Michael Dempsey, Simon Gallup, Boris Williams, Jason Cooper and Roger O'Donnell. Any mistakes? Did they get that right?
Lol: Yeah. I don't really understand their criteria too much. It seems a little arbitrary in some respects. It would be nice to meet everyone again. A couple of those people I haven't seen in ages. That will be good.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/cure-lol-tolhurst-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-interview-768934/
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Got this info on my mailbox:

Quote2019 Induction Ceremony Ticket On Sale Info

Tickets go on sale on February 1 at 10am EST

It's going to be a once-in-a-lifetime celebration for our newest Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductees at the 34th annual Induction Ceremony at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY. The ceremony will be held on March 29th, 2019 and tickets to the general public will go on sale on February 1, 2019 at 10am EST.

- Base ticket prices are $506, $256, $131, $86, and $56 (plus applicable Ticketmaster fees).
- Public on sale has a limit of four [4] tickets per transaction.
- To be eligible for the Member Pre-Sale, you needed to join or renew your membership by December 31, 2018
- A seating chart for the venue layout is available at Ticketmaster.com
- VIP packages sold on Ticketmaster.com are fulfilled by Ticketmaster and are subject to details provided by Ticketmaster

Get Tickets https://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/0000562F99271EC0
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Looks like Robert wants to play with the current line-up (if at all)?  :?

http://craigjparker.blogspot.com/2019/02/reeves-will-be-inducted-with-cure.html
When it was announced that The Cure had been selected for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, the list of Cure members eligible was missing 4 names - Reeves Gabrels, Andy Anderson, Phil Thornalley, and Matthieu Hartley. On Monday it was revealed that the Hall had reconsidered and Reeves will now be inducted with the rest of the band. Before this change was made, I'm told there was a good chance that the band might decide to skip the event, but are now more open to it. Still not confirmed but looking better.

bobcat

aah, not being mean but i can see why they didnt include Reeves. he hasnt been in the band that long and hasnt written much with them,even if he did a lot on the new album which we dont know yet i dont think ? the ones they originally picked made the most sense really. its cool for him but if that was me im not sure how much i'd feel i deserve that. 

Ulrich

Quote from: bobcat on February 07, 2019, 19:56:35
aah, not being mean but i can see why they didnt include Reeves. he hasnt been in the band that long

Yeah it looks like they're making an exception to their "rules" - maybe because RS threatened not to come at all!

bobcat

Quote from: Ulrich on February 08, 2019, 10:00:39
Quote from: bobcat on February 07, 2019, 19:56:35
aah, not being mean but i can see why they didnt include Reeves. he hasnt been in the band that long

Yeah it looks like they're making an exception to their "rules" - maybe because RS threatened not to come at all!

exactly! and maybe cause hes worked with David Bowie and has a pretty solid career of his own they prob figured why not and who knows. maybe someones a big cure fan and they really want them to come or something along those lines! i hope they go! they prob will now though!