Will The Cure play for the last time in 2018?

Started by dsanchez, April 04, 2018, 21:22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Robert said this back in 2008:

QuoteI can't see a long future for The Cure, I must admit.  I'm not being dramatic, but I'm fifty next year and we're doing the thirtieth anniversary DVD, and I really feel I want it to blossom into kind of like the big end.  It will be a really good feeling.  So I don't have these dreams of continuing on for another, like, ten years
http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=5870.0

If Robert really meant that, is London the beginning of the end for The Cure? Maybe, in the best scenario, we will have a farewell tour in 2019 (Robert will be sixty years old then) and then that's it? Or do you think Bob will change his mind and will tour until his 70's just like the Rolling Stones do?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on April 04, 2018, 21:22:34
If Robert really meant that, is London the beginning of the end for The Cure?

Maybe. Or maybe not.
He said a lot of things, for example at the end of the Stuttgart show in 2016 he said "see you again".
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

word_on_a_wing

As Ulrich mentions, RS has been saying "see you again", including during the most recent (2016) Australian tour.  I also feel that RS has really been enjoying playing in the last few years, seems genuinely moved at times.
I do sincerely hope they continue for many years to come!!!
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

Ulrich

Well, I would say it depends. How many old members will Robert invite to the 40th anniversary show?
http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=8779.0

Robert once said he planned to bring "all the old hippies together" for one show, but then decided to postpone that until (much) later.
Thus my wild guess is: IF all (or nearly all) of the old members will be there at Hyde Park for one (last) big celebration, it might indeed be the beginning of the end.

word_on_a_wing

Quote from: Ulrich on April 05, 2018, 13:37:52
Thus my wild guess is: IF all (or nearly all) of the old members will be there at Hyde Park for one (last) big celebration, it might indeed be the beginning of the end.

... The end always is...

A Strange Girl

Robert said the end of the band was near in 2008 and then again in 2012 but the Cure are still playing. In 2012 he said "The cure is very close to that moment", referring to a possible retirement. Here's the interview I am talking about, skip to minute 4:06 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8bSyQjcuYk&t=57s

I don't think the Cure will do like the Rolling Stones, but I can see a tour in the near future...At least I hope so! The 2016 European tour didn't seem to be their last one  ;)
...I think you come from another world...

MeltingMan

Quote from: dsanchez on April 04, 2018, 21:22:34
If Robert really meant that, is London the beginning of the end for The Cure?

Well, I think the beginning of the end has already begun. Maybe a couple of years ago.
The show in London will be another artistic highlight and not a farewell party. I can't even imagine
that for 2019. I'm sure they will be continuing for a while unless Robert decides to leave
The Cure. That would be a shocking end indeed! I mean as a Cure fan you must be aware of
surprises but Robert is too smart and too connected with us. This is what I've realized during
my time at Curefans. Like Siamese twins... ;)
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on April 06, 2018, 10:49:08
I'm sure they will be continuing for a while unless Robert decides to leave the
The Cure. That would be a shocking end indeed!

I can't imagine him leaving the band. Let's face it: he is the voice, main songwriter and the only constant member over the 40 years! I can imagine him wrapping the whole thing up. But "leaving" is not an option, I think.

I do agree that probably the "ending has already begun". Robert often said "this will be the last tour" (in fact so often, that he himself said in '96 "well I have to say it, don't I?"...), one day he might want to retire.
Back in their "heyday" I couldn't have imagined The Cure doing "nostalgia tours" - but that's what kinda happened in the last few years. (Don't get me wrong - I loved the "Disintegration" set I got to hear at the concert I went to!!!) Thus: yes, it does seem the whole thing is slowly heading towards the end...
(But... isn't everything in this mortal world...?)

word_on_a_wing

I feel I recall RS saying somewhere a while back that each tour could be the last, and having that mindset is helpful in appreciating each show even more.  (Not 100% sure if am remembering this right?)

I personally don't feel there are any set plans for them to say goodbye. Let it unfold as it may ...gosh I wish I could travel from Australia to see the UK show and any others announced but it looks like I'll just sit tight and hope the "see you again" comments in Australia come true.

dsanchez

Quote from: MeltingMan on April 06, 2018, 10:49:08
unless Robert decides to leave the The Cure

Robert IS The Cure, so he won't "leave" The Cure, but rather will end it, if he wants.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on April 06, 2018, 14:28:24
I feel I recall RS saying somewhere a while back that each tour could be the last, and having that mindset is helpful in appreciating each show even more.  (Not 100% sure if am remembering this right?)

Yes he did say something along these lines!  :)

MeltingMan

Quote from: dsanchez on April 06, 2018, 15:56:44
Robert IS The Cure, so he won't "leave" The Cure, but rather will end it, if he wants.

I have the feeling that this isn't right. He owns the name and The Cure is a group.
We should keep that in mind. Leaving is no option. OK, but then we have to choose
between "Rolling Thunder" and a "Hard Brexit" (little pun)?? I'm confident that he will
be going a middle way.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

word_on_a_wing

Quote from: MeltingMan on April 07, 2018, 14:49:23
Quote from: dsanchez on April 06, 2018, 15:56:44

I have the feeling that this isn't right. He owns the name and The Cure is a group.
We should keep that in mind. Leaving is no option. OK, but then we have to choose
between "Rolling Thunder" and a "Hard Brexit" (little pun)?? I'm confident that he will
be going a middle way.

I've gotta agree with dsanchez on this one, The Cure without Robert? Would never happen

It would be like NIN continuing without Trent...it wouldn't happen. 
I'm sure there's heaps of other examples, but really... it couldn't be The Cure without Robert. 
Or maybe "if" that happened it would be a scenario like the album Full Circle by The Doors (without Jim) ...anyone recall that album? .. I personally find it hard to listen to (though immense respect to them), it just isn't The Doors anymore ...

Anyway, this is a ludicrous conversation... Not gonna happen! RS will live for infinity so we need not fear!!  We'll cross-over after this illusionary life ceases and The Cure will be continuing to resonate in the ethers, merging with all of existence and non-existence, inviting us to ride the waves of bliss to wherever we need to go ...
🙄

Ulrich

We should keep that in mind.

Yep - and as he owns the name of the group (and basically chooses the members), it is up to him to disband this group one day.
Leaving is not an option because to me it means something like "I leave the band, but they will go on and/or can find someone else to continue with"!

... then we have to choose between "Rolling Thunder" and a "Hard Brexit" (little pun)?? I'm confident that he will be going a middle way.

No idea what you mean with this. There are several possibilities:
a) Robert officially announces the end of the band
b) nothing is ever announced, it just "fizzles out" - no gigs, no songs, no news
c) the band continues until RS has to leave our planet

SusannaRS

Quote from: Ulrich on April 07, 2018, 17:40:09
There are several possibilities:
a) Robert officially announces the end of the band
b) nothing is ever announced, it just "fizzles out" - no gigs, no songs, no news
c) the band continues until RS has to leave our planet

If it were a poll, I'd go for C
Lets my memory be perverted to the uses    
Of lying and oppression.    
My lovers and their children must not be dispossessed of me;
I would be the untarnished possession forever
Of those for whom I lived.
(Spoon River Anthology, E.L.M.)