Robert Smith talks about digital downloads and the day the music died

Started by scatcat, October 04, 2007, 14:21:15

Previous topic - Next topic

strange_day

Just downloaded In Rainbows by Radiohead, but at the same time ordered Mr. Beast By Mogwai on double vinyl LP.

I think its pretty obvious which is going to be more fun to listen to.  :smth020

Of course you cant really compare the 2 artists, but if i had to choose between mp3 and Vinyl, there is no contest, ever. The sound quality on vinyl is miles better and id say even better than most CDs, as most people know with CDs, you get horrible digital distortion because its mastered so loud and everything is compressed. Radiohead's idea of letting people pay however much they want is genuis, they cant be arsed trying to sell shite quiality mp3's to people.......so, they'll just let you decide...... its a great idea for established artists get rid of scrounging record companies and its great to see a band that cares about this sort of thing, most people just seem to go "yeah, ive made my millions... im off now".

Its just sad the way things are going really.

Bring back things you can actually own with artwork!

scatcat

It is so hard to get the vinyls I want here, :(  especailly the Cure, but I keep my eyes open ... now that record players are selling like hotcakes..! :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

japanesebaby

Quote from: strange_day on October 14, 2007, 14:46:18
Radiohead's idea of letting people pay however much they want is genuis, they cant be arsed trying to sell shite quiality mp3's to people.......so, they'll just let you decide......

it's a shame they have only lossy download option. i'd love to give that album a listen but i just can't be arsed to pay even one cent for mp3s, sorry but i don't. i'm all pro copyrights what comes to artists getting decently paid for their work (and i do mean artists, not record companies, and decent means... well,  decent) so no i'm not looking for a freebie download either, that's not what i mean. but at the same time i'm determined not to pay for some half-butchered compressed stuff, no thanks.
so i guess i have a personal dilemma here...

Quote from: strange_day on October 14, 2007, 14:46:18
Bring back things you can actually own with artwork!

yes it's pretty sad when one is being forced to notice that disposability has become a value in itself all around you. all kinds of junk is being valued almost solely because you can easily replace it and get a new one. i guess i have a personal dilemma with that too...
i like things like records just as objects, as something that you can age together with... 
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

ROGUE

Still in love with LP's.
- but i have bought many individual songs from itunes, as i already have the LP's but not so easy to travel with:P

strange_day

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 14, 2007, 16:27:38

it's a shame they have only lossy download option. i'd love to give that album a listen but i just can't be arsed to pay even one cent for mp3s, sorry but i don't. i'm all pro copyrights what comes to artists getting decently paid for their work (and i do mean artists, not record companies, and decent means... well,  decent) so no i'm not looking for a freebie download either, that's not what i mean. but at the same time i'm determined not to pay for some half-butchered compressed stuff, no thanks.
so i guess i have a personal dilemma here...

yes it's pretty sad when one is being forced to notice that disposability has become a value in itself all around you. all kinds of junk is being valued almost solely because you can easily replace it and get a new one. i guess i have a personal dilemma with that too...
i like things like records just as objects, as something that you can age together with... 

Exactly, its that disposable nature about it i hate.

How can something that someone has put so much time effort and money into be sold like that, as just digital information and at rubbish quality aswell? It makes no sense.

Apparently Radiohead will release it early next year on CD, at least thats something.

The only good thing about it is that record compaines are removed completely. Which, in theory puts everyone on the same level. The problem there though comes with distribution, if bands or artists want a 'proper'  ;) format, it has to be entirely self-funded which means new bands find it difficult to get anywhere. The only way to make any sort of living in music now is by playing shows really, but again, its a while before you can get big enough to make money from that.

Indeed, its a strange time in the world of music. Somethings got to give at some point, i just hope it means record companies will be stripped of their easy ways to rip people off and instead start doing what they should, which is help people to carry on making music.

japanesebaby

you're right, the good thing is that it forces the record companies to wake up and change... i hope something good will come out of it too though, and not just music truning disposable...
i guess the record companies role is going to change radically if they want to stay alive. so maybe they won't disappear altogether but turn into something that takes care of not only records but concert promotion, other skind of merchandise, even have rights to the artists name as a brand. i guess madonna's recent multimillion contract that's under negotiation with LiveNation is a good example of that sort of thing:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/material-girl-looks-for-more-in-new-contract/2007/10/11/1191696079954.html
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

vnvrum

vinyl and running order.

I collected now for so many nears cure stuff. I think it goes more in 10.000$ region. You now: cure addicted, it is not wise, but also not stupid... Many of this rare vinyls are still sealed, but for now I have the chance to get a grip on very, very good phono equipment. Do you ever listen in compare to CD and vinyl (washed, good sound system)? Do you hear the difference in dynamics and so on?

OK. concerts/live is always a big difference, you know, u not only listen, u feel more, but when listening, there is nothing better than listening on vinyl than on CD or Digital stuff.
Understand me right, I m an informatics, most of my stuff/surounding me, it is digital. But if u get a chance to hear music on vinyl on a good sound system, you will be suprised as i am.

For me it is again a difference in listening to.

cu vnvrum

scatcat

I guess technology and the world around us is changing ever so fast in our generation and the next.. Just watching The Cure interview in Mexico and the things Robert said there about The Album becoming a dying art, and that the upcoming awaited album will be their last Album released... :cry: "The end of life is looming" , but as he said, they will have to "embrace that change".  :smth100
I mean, also, music aside... there will be a time soon, already starting now, that even BOOKS will become obsolete, everything will be virtual, on the internet.. But it can be lost so easily...  :smth011
oh damn technology!! :smth100
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

ROGUE

Wouldnt it be just so cool if The Cure made a vinyl collectable double record  :smth069
of this "last CD" I would just love that, so much  :smth023

Me vinyl junkie  :smth020

DJscribbles

most of my peers have ipods.. i have to sneak a cd player in class while they wave around their ipod videos and such. *sigh*
*hugs vinyl* there is no way they can replace cds and vinyl, i still listen to casettes from my parents! my friend recently bought a $400 ipod touch, id rather have a $400 turntable - though i love how the ipod is portable and conventional. but just digital feels a bit detached - holding the record/cd/casette in my hand felt like holding a book, a story - you dont get that with an mp3. my friends think im crazy for not wanting an ipod - but vinyl/cd/tapes and other collectibles for the same value in money.

with mp3 - piracy just becomes too easy. anyone can just upload it onto limewire and such (another way the artist and record company loses money) - and besides mp3s arent "collectible". it breaks my heart - the artists work so so damn hard on their music, and people can just download it for free.

i want to learn how to convert files to flac/lossless and such, but its so damn confusing!

- the whole mp3 thing is gonna kill the record store. i like chatting it up with the people and the cashier, and admiring the physical art. kids dont have credit cards to buy at the itunes stores anyways.
Every night I dream, and every day it comes true

Janko

Quote from: scatcat on October 26, 2007, 18:13:16
I guess technology and the world around us is changing ever so fast in our generation and the next.. Just watching The Cure interview in Mexico and the things Robert said there about The Album becoming a dying art, and that the upcoming awaited album will be their last Album released... :cry: "The end of life is looming" , but as he said, they will have to "embrace that change".  :smth100
I mean, also, music aside... there will be a time soon, already starting now, that even BOOKS will become obsolete, everything will be virtual, on the internet.. But it can be lost so easily...  :smth011
oh damn technology!! :smth100

DAY THE MUSIC DIED... THATS A BUT PRETENTIOUS HUH?

:D

TECHNOLOGY IS OK

THE ALBUM IS A DEAD ART FOR BRITNEY SPEARS AND IT WAS DEAD SINCE ONE HIT WONDERS APPEARED...

THE TRUE ARTIST WILL ALWAYS MAKE SOME SENSE OUT OF HIS ART, AND THE ALBUM IS ONE OF THE MOST LOGICAL THINGS IN MUSIC BUSINESS. YOU WRITE SONGS AND YOU MAKE A COLLECTION OF THEM SO YOU COULD MOVE ON... WHATS THE ALTERNATIVE? THE COUNTLESS STREAM OF SONGS?! ROBERT IS BEING A BIT SILLY (DAFT FUTURISTIC PONDERING...) OR MAYBE ROBERT THINKS RELEASING THE NEW ALBUM IN 20 YEARS OR SO..

THE FACT THAT THERE ARE DOWNLOADS NOW DOESN'T MEAN THAT CD WILL OR SHOULD DIE, ITS LIKE SAYING THAT BICYCLES SHOULD DIE BECAUSE YOU CAN DRIVE A CAR...

THATS LIKE SAYING MP3 SHOULD DIE BECAUSE YOU GOT FLAC...

BY THE WAY, BOOKS WILL NEVER BE OBSOLETE - THEY ARE RELEASING WIKIPEDIA AS A BOOK IN GERMANY!

:smth023 :smth023
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

scatcat

i believe in u JANKO..   :smth023

i truly hope in my heart that a band such as The Cure.. a soundtrack to my life.. will ever resort to  cold... digital downloads.. or whatever they are labelled.

i believe in The Cure .
I believe that The Cure ... Robert Smith.. IS old-school.   :D
I believe that Bob will always stay true to his fans.. ( yeah.. some of us are oldish..  :oops: )
.. and keep releasing their art, our music, on CD'S, or at the least, vinyl..
( what an inspiring leap)..
I believe that as long as The Cure are a band, or even Robert in solo..!!??  :smth020

he would be available to his decades-old..  :roll:... fans.. in releasing NEW material in CD format ..at least.. i wanna hold it in my hands.. 8)
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life