Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Gave this another spin this evening - excellent track.  This is also one of those artists who enunciates so well you can always understand what he's singing the first time around, without having to turn your head inside out.

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Fits to this, a brandnew one (sorry if you can't view this in Australia):

The Waterboys - In My Time on Earth (Live at Old Town School Of Music - Chicago)

SueC

Thank you kindly, @Ulrich - that's brilliant! :)  Wonderful lyrics...

...and this guy is so versatile - I looooove this particular number and like to blow my ears off with it: :heart-eyes

SueC is time travelling

word_on_a_wing

On the 20th anniversary of David Bowie's 'hours...' album I've been revisiting it today. Of note is that it was co-written by Reeves Gabriel.
This album is one I initially didn't like much, though over the years it's grown on me, and I've been struck by how it seems to need some time and many listens to really be digested (that's my experience of it anyway).  I'm grateful for that as it feels like I'm still able to listen and discover something new here, something I hadn't yet experienced in it.

Anyway, this track wasn't included on the album but is..wow! I could have this track on repeat for the rest of my life and I'd be in bliss...

"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

Ulrich

@SueC I'm sure I will re-visit that Waterboys song (& the whole album) soon, because when I look back on the year 2000, there's 2 important albums that spring to mind (there were more, but those 2 are the "essence"): The Waterboys "Rock in the weary land" and The Cure's "Bloodflowers".

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on October 04, 2019, 16:36:13On the 20th anniversary of David Bowie's 'hours...' album

Never got the album, but I liked the song "Thursday's child", so I bought the cd single! (Anyone remember those days when you went out to buy a single??)

Ulrich

The best theme tune ever? (I tend to agree!)

word_on_a_wing

Quote from: Ulrich on October 05, 2019, 13:20:14
Quote from: word_on_a_wing on October 04, 2019, 16:36:13On the 20th anniversary of David Bowie's 'hours...' album

Never got the album, but I liked the song "Thursday's child", so I bought the cd single! (Anyone remember those days when you went out to buy a single??)

Ah yes I recall singles, though never bought many. Would either get the album or try tape the single off the radio ...gosh how long ago that was.
With Spotify, YouTube etc the album (or indeed almost any album) can be easily accessed nowadays. This album may particularly be of interest to Cure fans given it marks the conclusion of Bowie's creative collaboration with Reeves Gabrels.

Ulrich

Well I'd buy the single of this one (not so much interested in the album at the moment), well I guess I'll just listen via yt...

word_on_a_wing

Quote from: Ulrich on October 07, 2019, 10:26:30Well I'd buy the single of this one (not so much interested in the album at the moment), well I guess I'll just listen via yt...

...a not so subtle dig at my earlier comment? Combined with DSanchez discussing turntables I feel a point is being made in a rather sly way 😉

Its funny how streaming has transformed how music can be experienced. I don't think it needs to be an either/or situation though.  I have a turntable, and my favourite albums are on vinyl and I frequently listen to them when I'm at home. Meanwhile I also like the convenience of Spotify (or similar) for when I'm on the move, or wanting to check out some music I'm not familiar with.
With some music I find it hard to listen to anything other than vinyl ...Pink Floyd most notably. I also find The Head On The Door feels much nicer when listening on vinyl.

So how about others?  Other than Ulrich seeking out the elusive CD singles 😆😜) I wonder what other formats people listen to music on?

Ulrich

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on October 07, 2019, 13:25:32...a not so subtle dig at my earlier comment?

Erm no, not at all. Wasn't meant as a "dig" at anything!

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on October 07, 2019, 13:25:32Its funny how streaming has transformed how music can be experienced. I don't think it needs to be an either/or situation though.  I have a turntable, and my favourite albums are on vinyl and I frequently listen to them when I'm at home.

:smth023   :cool

I like listening to new things via streaming/youtube/whatever. I'm not on "Spotify" though. Streaming is good for giving something a quick listen in the vein of "is this anything at all for me?".
I was sometimes surprised how good an album sounded when I listened to the cd on my stereo - much, much better than yt (etc.)!

Last "stream" I did was this "global premiere" of Nick Cave's new album, probably won't buy it though. Not what I need at the moment...

SueC

This is both listening and watching - the pack contains both a CD for listening, and the DVD version of the actual gig.  I've liked this outfit for decades - it's something different for me, as I don't live in certain parts of the US.  You couldn't describe what they do as atmospheric, but it draws from some really interesting musical traditions, and Daryl Hall can really really sing, the same way Kate Pierson from the B-52s can really really sing.  (And all the backing singers here are a total treat as well, and aren't normally just backing singers either! :))

What I enjoy most about these guys is the way they all perform on a stage together, and interact with the audience.  They are all supremely competent, and they're all multi-instrumentalists.  They're laid-back, relaxed, warm, effusive, and completely into their music, and you can see how they all bounce off each other and really appreciate each other, and ditto how they bounce off the crowd and really appreciate them.  The whole thing feels like it's happening in someone's living room - they've even got the kind of rugs on the stage you'd have in a living room, instead of rubber mats and industrial carpeting - you can see that in the second song.  There's no, "I'm a rock star, worship me!" thing going on here - it's just people making music, people listening to music, everyone enjoying the process. :cool

This was filmed 5 years ago; Hall and Oates were both 67-ish, their saxophonist is a venerable Gandalf (and plays wonderfully), everyone looks and sounds amazing and like they totally should be on the stage - flying in the face of the silly age-ism often mooted in music culture (presumably by the embryos and insecure people).  By the way, these people all embody the concept that the best face-lift of them all is a smile. :)

The first song is a metaphor about New York City, by the way (and probably women like that exist too, and if you've had to deal with any, you should be allowed to write about it; as is true whatever gender).  Watch out for the sax/guitar duet - and watch the body language while you're there!  :)

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

"Black is the night like a ghost of a kiss..."

dsanchez

A fantastic movie, brilliant performance by Phoenix and a great soundtrack!

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

SueC

Fiddler from Cape Breton.

PS:  This is the track that first brought her to my attention:

...I dare you to not tap your toes and spin around!  :)
SueC is time travelling