Audio Layering (?)

Started by Bloodflower, May 04, 2007, 05:14:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodflower

As I was listening to the Wembley shows again (all three, in order!  :D), I had a funny thought. I know nothing of the technical aspect, so I will just offer the idea and hope someone could shine light on whether or not it's even possible. Would it be possible, in some audio editing programme, to repeat the instrumental parts of a song such as Faith and layer over it the vocals of another track (say, 2 Late), thus extending the song with extra lyrics?

I don't know if there's some special encoding on CDs that makes it impossible to remix the tracks in this way, or... well, anything about it, really. I'm completely oblivious to the technical side of such things. But I do think it would be dead cool to put in vocals from 2 Late and/or Fear of Ghosts, or something else entirely into a studio version of Faith. I imagine it is near-impossible totally isolate the vocals, thus the music from the other songs would be playing as well, but nonetheless, I think this would be awesome. If doable.

Could throw the version of Forever played on the Peel Session back in '81 in there, too, adding backwards vocal effects.....

Off in dreamland,

Bloodflower
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

lostflower4

The only way you could do something like that with perfectly isolated tracks would be to get the original multitrack masters of these recordings. And for live stuff, that means the original multitrack masters recorded from the band's mixer.

If you ever find any of this stuff, drop me a line. :-D

splitmilk34

I do some audio engineering (mostly for my own stuff), and it is, in fact, impossible to do this without isolated tracks.
"... sleeping less every night"

Bloodflower

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 04, 2007, 14:44:50
The only way you could do something like that with perfectly isolated tracks would be to get the original multitrack masters of these recordings. And for live stuff, that means the original multitrack masters recorded from the band's mixer.

If you ever find any of this stuff, drop me a line. :-D

How about imperfectly isolated tracks? Could the music be suppressed much?

lostflower4

It all depends on how the music is mixed. Sometimes you can get a vocal track somewhat isolated with a program like Audition, but I think it's generally impossible to get anything absolute.

I just can't imagine getting anything good enough to produce the results you're hoping for. :?

Bloodflower

*Shrugs* Oh well. It was a pleasant dream, at any rate.

I had hoped that a track such as Fear of Ghosts, which is mixed with the vocals considerably louder than the instrumentation (when there are vocals going, that is), would play exception. But really, it was always a long-shot. I myself know next to nothing about this sort of thing, after all.

At any rate, thank you all for the information.

-Bloodflower

It seems reality destroys our dreams...