Faith Deluxe Edition sound quality...

Started by traveller03, December 06, 2006, 21:18:13

Previous topic - Next topic

traveller03

So I've been listening to the new deluxe edition of the Faith album lately and something seems 'off' to me. I wasn't sure what it was exactly so I did a little comparison listening between the original UK vinyl, the original US CD and the new one. Overall I feel like the high end has been accentuated too much in the deluxe version. Both the UK vinyl and the original CD have a nice balance to them and a better 'space' for lack of a better way to describe it. The new one seems too 'bright'.

Does anyone else hear what I'm talking about or am I just crazy? Does anyone know more about the 'remastering' process the albums went through? I would almost think it was a whole new mix than a remaster. I suppose it could just be that I'm used to the way the original sounds since I've listened to that version for the last 20 years or so.

japanesebaby

Quote from: traveller03 on December 06, 2006, 21:18:13
Both the UK vinyl and the original CD have a nice balance to them and a better 'space' for lack of a better way to describe it. The new one seems too 'bright'.
but don't you think that there's a rather notable difference between the sound on original vinyls and on the old CD pressings?
i think it's an old story that those old CD pressings were mastered rather crappily. i always preferred listening to the vinyl sources.
but i have to admit that i haven't done any proper comparisons between the remastered cds and the vinyl version... :oops:
what comes to the remasters, actually i've almost solely listened to the bonus discs...
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

traveller03

Indeed I agree that the vinyl is still the best version available. The original CD, while  perhaps not mastered perfectly still has a similar balance to the vinyl. When I first heard about the remasters I was excited that I might finally have a version as good as the vinyl sound on CD. Oh well, perhaps in another 20 years...

revolt

Quote from: traveller03 on December 06, 2006, 22:05:23
Indeed I agree that the vinyl is still the best version available. The original CD, while  perhaps not mastered perfectly still has a similar balance to the vinyl. When I first heard about the remasters I was excited that I might finally have a version as good as the vinyl sound on CD. Oh well, perhaps in another 20 years...

I think in time we'll all eventually come to realise that in general the original vinyl releases always have the best sound of all versions available. The thing with "Faith" is that, even if the original vinyl version is well produced and mastered, I have always also found that it was a bit too bright and strident, specially when it comes to Robert's voice... The original CD version did sound to me worse in this respect and, well, I have never checked the Deluxe edition. It looks like I shouldn't bother with it, going by the comments in this thread.

japanesebaby

i'm totally re-falling in love with vinyl these days.
after finally upgrading my turntable to this century (in this case meaning getting a proper 70's equipment  :smth023), the differences between vinyl and cd versions (both old and new) are turning out to be alarmingly massive. i've almost been shocked by the findings. :shock:

i just made a listening/comparison test between the 'faith' cd version deluxe edition and both the original UK vinyl pressing and the US 'happily ever after' vinyl release, and to me the cd and vinyl versions sound almost like two completely different recordings! the sound on the cd version (even the deluxe version which is miles better than the old muffled cd pressing) is simply so much "narrower", there's some kind of strange constant  "shrillness" all over it that takes away all the real depth and warmth of the sound.  just listening to 'all cats are grey' from the vinyl source and the depth of the bass and the deep warmth of the keyboards is just amazing...  :eek:

i wish i could demonstrate this, with examples... to be able to show that i'm not just going on about something imaginary. but the fact is that in order to do that i'd need to convert the analog vinyl signal to digital - and it would already lose a great deal of its depth. with analog sound, you really need to listen to the original analog stream - then you'll know the difference. i know it sounds a bit bold, to put it that way - but the difference IS simply huge, believe me, it really is.

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 09, 2008, 10:14:01
after finally upgrading my turntable to this century (in this case meaning getting a proper 70's equipment  :smth023), the differences between vinyl and cd versions (both old and new) are turning out to be alarmingly massive. i've almost been shocked by the findings. :shock:

i just made a listening/comparison test between the 'faith' cd version deluxe edition and both the original UK vinyl pressing and the US 'happily ever after' vinyl release, and to me the cd and vinyl versions sound almost like two completely different recordings! the sound on the cd version (even the deluxe version which is miles better than the old muffled cd pressing) is simply so much "narrower", there's some kind of strange constant  "shrillness" all over it that takes away all the real depth and warmth of the sound.  just listening to 'all cats are grey' from the vinyl source and the depth of the bass and the deep warmth of the keyboards is just amazing...  :eek:

i wish i could demonstrate this, with examples... to be able to show that i'm not just going on about something imaginary. but the fact is that in order to do that i'd need to convert the analog vinyl signal to digital - and it would already lose a great deal of its depth. with analog sound, you really need to listen to the original analog stream - then you'll know the difference. i know it sounds a bit bold, to put it that way - but the difference IS simply huge, believe me, it really is.

You know, once - a long time ago  :-D - I even considered giving up all my vinyl collection (which, admittedly, is not that large) and update it with brand new CD versions. I was a foolish young man, me.

Harvestry of Ghosts

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 09, 2008, 10:14:01

You can always do a 24-bit 48kHz rip of the vinyl and lose next to nothing in quality in the conversion.

japanesebaby

Quote from: Harvestry of Ghosts on October 21, 2008, 04:30:41
You can always do a 24-bit 48kHz rip of the vinyl and lose next to nothing in quality in the conversion.

sure, i just meant that i don't have a transfer set-up up at the moment, to make this demonstration.

(besides, one easily can lose quality in the conversation/transfer process: for instance if one has a crappy $10 soundcard, then it's already ruined. i don't have a crappy one but just an example).