Avatars ; why did you choose your avatar?

Started by scatcat, February 23, 2008, 17:21:08

Previous topic - Next topic

scatcat

I'm just curious to know what made you choose your personal avatar?

And why? Obviously there are a lot of 'Cure' related avatars.. some are not.

Does it have a special meaning or representation of your character?

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

scatcat

my avatar is from 'The End Of The World' video. From the Cure 2004 album.

i did originally start off with another avatar, but this one i identify more with, as it looks a bit obscure, and a little bit hiding Robert's face, expression with hands instead..   ;)

I often think should I change it, but... then I wouldn't be able to find myself!!!
:smth036 :smth037 :smth042

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Tof

Mine is a photo I took In Paris LA FNAC 1996 10 15.
Tof

Carnage Visor

I randomly switch mine according to my mood and/or who I'm currently obsessing over.

Right now it is a picture of the girls from Strawberry Switchblade, whom I find very gorgeous and delectible!  :-D

Plus, I have a thing for woman with hair like that... ;)

I don't mind risking the fact that people might enterperet me as a female because of my female-oriented avatars, because that doesn't really bother me as long as I come across a nice person. I'm not uncomfortable with my masculinity, so I don't worry to much about how people perceive my "MACHISMO".

If it upsets anyone, I will change it no problem. :) I just like to express my interests as much as possible.

I also notice Karma point knocked down, is that because of my avatar? I will change if wanted.

scatcat

hey CV.. love your changing avatar!! ( ididn't know who the new one was!!  :oops:)

don't worry about people thinking u r a chick... people assume I am a guy with mine!! hehe  :-D

ps.. incoming..
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Carnage Visor

Quote from: scatcat on February 23, 2008, 19:32:17
hey CV.. love your changing avatar!! ( ididn't know who the new one was!!  :oops:)

Thanks, that cheered me up a bunch!  :)

Plus, wasn't androgeny something that rock stars strived for back when? lol  :D

scatcat

Quote from: Carnage Visor on February 23, 2008, 19:42:08
Plus, wasn't androgeny something that rock stars strived for back when? lol  :D

isn't pink your fav colour?.. mine is blue. there you go!!  :smth023

yes.. androgeny.. love David Bowie and the Ziggy Stardust era.. Annie Lennox.. just to mention a few..  :D
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Carnage Visor

Well, red and black, but yeah (I have strong gothic tendencies)  8)

I should probably shush, I'm straying from the subject of this board!  :P

Peace!

dsanchez

I am a big fan of Simon Gallup. And I use this avatar in every forum I register to (not necesarily music related). I don't think I will ever change it...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

melly

Hmm...well, I've had quite a few... the first one I think was of my two little dogs playing, but it looked like the bigger one was about to eat the little one ( he probably wanted to, because as a pup, the little one gave the other a hard time,hanging off his ears, legs and willy)  so, I used that and put " come too close and I will eat you", as that's how I was feeling at the time. I mellowed and started putting pics of around town, the silos, beach front etc... the one I have now is a pic taken in Adelaide, after the show... thought I'd better put a Cure related piccie in for a change!! I like changing them, and will probably do so again soon.. Some of the avatars are brilliant!!
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

iwannashagsimon

My advatar was made for me by someone at another Cure forum many years ago.  It's taken from the interview out-takes section of the Trilogy DVD and it's the part where Simon answered my Sid question. :-D

Lady

I often change my avatar, but I like very much this pic, 'cos it's unusual, fascinating and one of the few images where Robert doesn't dress in black! :-D
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

Hero

I've had a few, i cant remember them all but i think the first was my now deceased squirrel, then i think it was a drawing of some knives by Faris Rotter because i like knives and Faris...
Now its Alice in Wonderland because its my favourite book and i suppose i can relate to it because inside my head is like wonderland sometimes.
I was thinking of changing mine to Joshua Third because he's yummy. I might try it and change it back.

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on February 23, 2008, 22:40:00
I am a big fan of Simon Gallup. And I use this avatar in every forum I register to (not necesarily music related). I don't think I will ever change it...

yours is one of those avatars which i simply couldn't imagine ever got changed - i almost picture you as simon with the hat already! :P caley's avatar is one of those has-to-be-permanent ones too, imo. i couldn't consider changing mine either. it's not something that goes with the mood.

why i chose mine:
well, the song 'the end of the world' had something special to do with me originally joining here, it's a complicated tale that's based on all kinds of really remote and subtle connections and i'm afraid impossible to explain so that it would really make any sense after all so i'll skip the details. i'm afraid it's similarly difficult to explain why it had to be the apple-grabbing image, but it just had to be. i never even considered anything else, i just knew that that would have to be it. all i can say it's connected to one day back in 2004 when i first saw the video. this was a very bright sunny afternoon on one of those rare "very good days" that you sometimes have, even when you didn't do anything special or didn't go anywhere or meet anybody etc.  just a perfect day somehow. 
i remember seeing the video for 'the end of the world' for the first time and being absolutely impressed by it. i had been away from the active cure-circles for a while before that, but seeing this video kind of woke me up again. and although i didn't really like the album 'the cure', the video sort of managed to convince me that there was still magic there, underneath it. all these animated objects in the video... this was the world of the cure as i always pictured it in my head, something slightly weird...
maybe that makes no sense. anyway. i still think it's one of the best videos i've seen, it's not too clever in a conscious kind of way but has genuine imagination behind it. i also think the choice of color palette used in it is really precise and shows someone behind it had a really good eye/taste.

in the earlier days of the forum i used to have a similar kind of non-animated avatar, robert's hand grabbing the apple. i still have this on some other forums which have size limits for avatars.

by the way, i was once asked if i chose my avatar because i'm known mac user(!), just to hint something with it... but no, this is not the case, not at all. i really had/have better reasons that that... and i never even realized the connection until someone pointed it out to me!
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lacrima mosa

mine is the symbol of a band called snakeskin... it's a sideproject of the mastermind of lacrimosa, which is the reason for my screenname... hehe! everything related!
08.10.2022 Helsinki
10.10.2022 Stockholm
12.10.2022 Oslo
13.10.2022 Göteborg
14.10.2022 Kopenhagen
16.10.2022 Hamburg
17.10.2022 Leipzig
18.10.2022 Berlin
18.11.2022 Strassburg
19.11.2022 Basel