The typical The Cure fan

Started by dsanchez, October 22, 2014, 20:05:18

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

pictureofcure.com made a study a few weeks ago to identify 'the typical fan of The Cure'. I have translated the results to English.

Le profil type du fan de The Cure

Enjoy popcorn

Details:
Study made between 26 Sept and 7 Oct 2014 by picturesofcure.com
Sample: 204 persons

The typical The Cure fan is...

01) A Man.
02) He is 39 years old.
03) He has discovered The Cure in 1985 through a friend
04) The first album he bought was of course 'The Head On The Door'
05) His favorite album is 'Disintegration'
06) His favorite song is 'Charlotte Sometimes'
07) His favorite tour is 'The Prayer Tour'
08) His favorite concert video is 'The Cure In Orange'
09) He has all the albums of the band.
10) He has a lot of unofficial live recordings on CD or files on his computer.
11) He also collects imported CDs, t-shirts, badgets, etc
12) The best period of the band is the 80's
13) He has seen The Cure more than 10 times and he has traveled abroad to see the band.
14) He has never met or spoken to any member of The Cure.
15) He loves to see The Cure live but would like if the band publishes a new album. This is what he expects in the future as well as the organisation of more 'Reflections' shows.
16) About his look (either in daily life or for concerts) he does not dress in black, does not make up or has a hair like Robert's. In other words his look has nothing to do with The Cure.
17) About the new album, he is not in hurry and thinks the long waiting will be worth it.
18) When the album comes out he will buy it right away without even listening to it in advance (just as he does everytime The Cure releases something)
19) But he does not think there will be an album in 2014.
20) He is not interested in a Robert Smith solo album. If he releases it, he will buy it. But if it's not released,it does not matter.
21) He has read 'L'Etranger' by Albert Camus because Robert took inspiration from it for the song 'Killing An Arab'
22) He also has listened authors/artists because Robert Smith recommends or quotes them (David Bowie, Nick Drake, Kafka, Penelope Farmer, etc.)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Judging by the results it seems I am the typical fan of The Cure! I coincide with all except these:

02) He is 39 years old -- almost, I am 37!
03) He has discovered The Cure in 1985 through a friend -- was in 1992 in my case!
04) The first album he bought was of course 'The Head On The Door' -- Wish
06) His favorite song is 'Charlotte Sometimes' -- That would be 'Push'
09) He has all the albums of the band -- I don't. I don't have "The Cure"
11) He also collects imported CDs, t-shirts, badgets, etc -- I don't need this extra stuff
14) He has never met or spoken to any member of The Cure -- I have met Jason and Bob.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

I got to say: 204 persons is probably not enough to make reliable statistics.  :roll:

Especially if for the first thing it says: a man. We all know there are lots of females among Cure fans.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on October 23, 2014, 10:11:11
I got to say: 204 persons is probably not enough to make reliable statistics.  :roll:

oh. it's the 'typical' Cure fan. I think is mostly accurate but of course 204 is not a representative sample, it's more for fun of course. and it was answered mostly by french people (and a few people who speaks french - me included)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

MeltingMan

Quote from: dsanchez on October 22, 2014, 20:05:18
21) He has read 'L'Etranger' by Albert Camus because Robert took inspiration from it for the song 'Killing An Arab'
No,I didn't,but I read "About Love" from Stendhal after Robert mentioned it in an interview.
Interesting study.I can only fully agree with points 01,12,14,15,19 and partially with 09,10,16.
Maybe I'm not a 'typical' fan and more an average one,wearing black from time to time and not 24/7. ;)
The influence of female fans is probably and unfortunately underestimated. :(
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

SusannaRS

A survey of 204 french-speaking is really meaningless!!
Anyway I agree with 2, 8, 10, 14 (unfortunately), 19, 21 (but I only read Charlotte Sometimes many times), 22.

Quote from: dsanchez on October 22, 2014, 20:06:06
14) He has never met or spoken to any member of The Cure -- I have met Jason and Bob.
Lucky guy so jealous  :smth022
Lets my memory be perverted to the uses    
Of lying and oppression.    
My lovers and their children must not be dispossessed of me;
I would be the untarnished possession forever
Of those for whom I lived.
(Spoon River Anthology, E.L.M.)

sadchild

01) yes
02) only 5 years off
03) only 4 years off
04) first album matches year I discovered them (Disintegration)
05) yes
06) definitely not. not even close
07)
08)
09) almost
10) definitely
11) definitely
12) best period is 1985-1992
13) only seen them once
14) yes
15)
16) yes
17) yes
18) not necessarily
19) yes
20) no i am interested
21) no
22) no
The way she pulls me in sucks my breath away

Fabien G

Quote from: Ulrich on October 23, 2014, 10:11:11

Especially if for the first thing it says: a man. We all know there are lots of females among Cure fans.

Of course. That's just how it works, you don't question the 10 millions cure fans.

Also, what do you want him to write: half man half woman? He took the most answered reply  to make a caricature portrait of a fan.

we know it's not the truth (proof is, your answers would be different).

It's really strange to me to read comments such as yours, i really don't understand... that you don't understand...

Quote from: SusannaRS on October 23, 2014, 21:43:54

Again, why is that? I don't think naming it 'the typical 'french' cure fan survey' would have made more sense to you, would it?

I don't agree only about answer #2 & 6

And i must say i have nothing to do with this survey...

Ulrich

Quote from: Fabien G on November 21, 2014, 04:19:18
Of course. That's just how it works, you don't question the 10 millions cure fans.

Also, what do you want him to write: half man half woman? He took the most answered reply  to make a caricature portrait of a fan.

It's really strange to me to read comments such as yours, i really don't understand... that you don't understand...

I never said that I didn't "understand". I just didn't agree with the survey and how they describe a "typical" Curefan. It's sadly not a caricature - that would be more accurate if they had said it's a "caricature"...

They could've asked more persons than just 200 - maybe 2000 to get a more "represantative" survey. They could've mentioned that many are female and so on and so on...

Fabien G

Alright, I see.

Personnaly I think it's really good that they managed to have over 200 answers on a national forum about the band, especially in just 2 weeks.
It's not as if we were talking on the international forum of Lady Gaga, thousand of fans would have answers.
I am not really sure there would be many more fans here on curefans.

Also, once again, the answers are logical, they picked up the top answers from all questions to make this portrait. I suppose it's possible to see all the naswers on their website. But what you will see won't be a surprise; there will be men and women, from maybe 13 to 15 year old, some wear black, other don't, some wear glasses, other don't, some like prefer the pop songs, other prefer the dark stuff, some have an autograph fromRobert, other don't, and so on...
But that doesn't make a typical cure fan; these are answers.

dsanchez

Quote from: Fabien G on November 21, 2014, 04:19:18
Quote from: SusannaRS on October 23, 2014, 21:43:54

I personally think the survey results are what I would probably expect in the "average" Cure fan.

The only question that might be not representative of a worlwide audience in this survey is item 13 "He has seen The Cure more than 10 times and he has traveled abroad to see the band". This might be true for the average French Cure fan (The Cure has played more than 100 times in France), but not for fans from somewhere else, specially somewhere else outside Europe and the U.S. (e.g. The Cure has played only once in Peru, Chile, Colombia, etc.)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Fabien G

Yes, but that's what a survey is about! People always forget to read all the condition it is made in.

Of course it will be different if for exemple you make the same survey in Australia or Mexico.

The only way to have the one and only guenuine portrait of a Cure fan is asking the 6 billions humans on earth!!! Impossible!

So ok, it's limited, but that's just a survey. it's only 22 question and all that, it doesn't say if they live in big cities or in countryside, if they are ammried, if they have a pet, what is their other favourite band... It's a survey, it's only some criteria, asked to some limited people, at a certain time... and you got a crtain answer from that.

Make the same survey here, you will have a different portrait, and it won't be much true.

curegirlcologne

As a "statistician" I can tell you the sample size is ok since its larger than 100. The results should be generalizable - at least for the french cure fans  :)

I totally identify with point 6 (favorite song = charlotte sometimes) and I wonder if this is representative for the majority of all cure fans....
I realize we always have to turn away
Always have to go back to real lives
But real lives are why we stay

Ulrich

Quote from: Fabien G on November 21, 2014, 13:30:44
Alright, I see.

Also, once again, the answers are logical, they picked up the top answers from all questions to make this portrait. ... But that doesn't make a typical cure fan; these are answers.

Well, what I posted above (reply#2) was just a comment, not an "I don't understand".

Whatever was posted there, for me it doesn't necessarily reflect "a typical Cure fan". That's just my opinion, feel free to disagree. If you're happy with that survey, be happy!

Fabien G

Ok, but I'm curious of your thinking.

204 answers is quite a panel already (how many would suit you more?), and between man and woman, there isn't much choice. What would have been your reaction if answer #1 was 'woman' ? It wouldn't make more sense!