Why all the best bands of the planet are from the UK?

Started by dsanchez, April 01, 2009, 15:37:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

Quote from: alt.end on July 23, 2010, 02:01:50
i see your point, but this only works to a certain extent. most people don't care about a band if it's not confirmed from the media that this band is supposed to be good etc.

Maybe, maybe not. Some people don't care about the media anymore, I think, because there's more "independent" sources where you can listen for free. Nowadays it's easier to find out if a band "hyped" by the media is to your taste.

Also, how can you actually discover a band? Festivals now put on mostly signed bands with some buzz going on, and you cannot go to a local pub every single night to see some new bands playing each night. And there are so many of them!

It depends, I went to free festival who put on good bands which I hadn't known before...
Of course there's too many pub bands (and not all of them are good) to check them out. It's also not my job to check out all the bands in the world (and it would be impossible anyway). (Btw, if anyone wants to offer me such a job, feel free to contact me, I'd love to try it... *g*)
To answer your question: how do I discover such bands? Sometimes by recommendation (e.g. through friends or in a Forum like this one), sometimes I see a good support band (e.g. at a Cure show), sometimes I'm just curious enough to check some band...

as for the labels, i think cinamon wasn't talking only about majors, even small indie labels are today capable of 'breaking' the band worldwide.

That's good then! The more "powerful" indie labels, the more chance of good music.

btw, i liked that idea about a thread where everyone posts links to unknown bands, doesn't matter where they come from, whether they are signed or unsigned. let's do that ;)

Yeah, let's try and start a thread?
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Maya

+ The Cranes, Curve, Cocteau Twins, Joy Division, OMD, Shelleyan Orphan, The Sundays.. These are all pretty esoteric bands for their time and context.. I think that a certain bleakness and dullness of the UK at the end of the 70s and the start of the 80s might be the culprit to this.. If you watch two major docomentaries by the BBC about the synth era and punk era, you'd notice a common theme in both, the gloomy, grey, damp cityscapes.. Something happens to a human being in such a context, either you grow up to conform and blend in or you rebel with angst and furry or, yet again, create something of stark contrast but (like Cocteau Twins did) to such an extent that it's not only out-of-the-cityscape but out-of-this-world..