your non-favorites ("respectable" artists only!)

Started by japanesebaby, January 12, 2007, 00:36:33

Previous topic - Next topic

jbud1980

japanesebaby

Quote from: jbud1980 on January 25, 2009, 22:39:50
sorry about that  :(

hey no need to be sorry. instead, thanks for your input! so let's just merge these two topics.
i think it's an interesting subject because just like we're kind of defined by what we do like, we're also defined by what we don't like.
and there are always surprises here and there.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

jbud1980 question is more general because it does not say we should list *only* the "respectable" artist we don't like.

we should merge this topic with jb's (jb already did) with the subject "Bands/Groups that you dislike", or smthg like that.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Anyway, these are the artists which never called my attention and not only for their music...

-Joy Division - Hate Ian's voice
-NIN - Same as before
-Morrissey - Antipatic, with this "I am a star" thing, gives me the impression he's too arrogant
-Oasis - Antipatic, the leader singer is an arsehole (just listen his comments about INXS or the Creation record groups)
-Placebo - I don't know if they even deserve to be in this list or together with Eminem or others :P
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

fiction

Quote from: dsanchez on January 25, 2009, 22:54:43
-Morrissey - Antipatic, with this "I am a star" thing, gives me the impression he's

Yeah Morrissey is really a broken fence in a yard of annoyance. It´s a bit hard to get hold of since I really like the Smiths.
again and again and again and again and again and...

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on January 25, 2009, 22:46:11
jbud1980 question is more general because it does not say we should list *only* the "respectable" artist we don't like.

we should merge this topic with jb's (jb already did) with the subject "Bands/Groups that you dislike", or smthg like that.

david, "respectable artists only" was not in the original name of this topic. if you go back to the beginning of this thread you can find that i only added "respectable artists only" because someone (guess who?  :lol:) listed obvious things like shakira etc.

--> http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,3230.msg19848.html#msg19848

of course everyone with a pair of ears dislikes that kind of "music". so. that's why i added the "respectable" part, to save people from listing all the obvious crap "artists". it's more interesting to talk about what "real" groups we don't like (and why).
so if you don't like the topic, i originally fixed the name for you...

japanesebaby

Quote from: fiction on January 25, 2009, 23:07:02
Yeah Morrissey is really a broken fence in a yard of annoyance.

say no more.
by the way morrissey's going to play here in june and i've noticed that i'm having a weird battle with myself, whether to go or not to go. i'd be sort of tempted to see him live (just to be sure what it's like live, music wise) but at the same time i know i seriously can't stand the sight of him. morrissey waving his hips and a bunch of gladioli are one of my all-time pet hate TOTP memories. 
perhaps i'll go but end up deciding to wear a blind-fold all through the gig?

Quote from: jbud1980 on January 25, 2009, 21:26:55
joy division (his voice bothers me)

Quote from: dsanchez on January 25, 2009, 22:54:43
-Joy Division - Hate Ian's voice

regardless of whether or not people like his voice (which is a matter of taste), before people slag him off i'd say it would be worth observing how joy division as a band "used" the low tone of his voice: a trademark JD sound often involves peter hook playing bass in really high register - actually it's sometimes really surprisingly high, when you really start paying attention to it. but the reason the band still sounds very balanced is because there's ian's voice down there, in the lower register.
it's a really great arrangemental idea, hook giving some room for ian (and the other way round): they all find their own "space", without interfering/messing up each others lines/notes. i find it really great.

i think i heard the remaining members talking about this in some rather recent interview - perhaps in that JD documentary movie.
it's probably been noted elsewhere too. anyway, i think it's worth observing because it's a really cool thing. 

fiction

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 25, 2009, 23:16:51

Yeah do that. But that will probably impress the ones that likes Morrissey.

regardless of whether or not people like his voice (which is a matter of taste), before people slag him off i'd say it would be worth observing how joy division as a band "used" the low tone of his voice

I agreed and I think that on some of the older songs with Warsaw he sometimes sounds a bit like Lou Reed.

japanesebaby

Quote from: fiction on January 25, 2009, 23:31:02

Yeah do that. But that will probably impress the ones that likes Morrissey.

hmm yeah i might end up getting in trouble for doing that:  :smth062
perhaps need to reconsider...

:-D

Quote from: fiction on January 25, 2009, 23:31:02
regardless of whether or not people like his voice (which is a matter of taste), before people slag him off i'd say it would be worth observing how joy division as a band "used" the low tone of his voice

I agreed and I think that on some of the older songs with Warsaw he sometimes sounds a bit like Lou Reed.

interesting, i never thought of that before. i think i need to have a listen.

fiction

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 25, 2009, 23:40:24
[interesting, i never thought of that before. i think i need to have a listen.

It might best be detected in Failures even though that whole song reminds of V.U.

Edit: I searched my Warzaw and JD files and found that there is a little bit Lou Reed even in the Arrow studio versions of Shadowplay and Drawback from 1978.

B-Flower

Hm...
U2 - some songs I really liked (a few of them) but I find this band boring as hell. Don't ask me why - I don't know!
Interpol - a very bad copy of Joy Division to me. Sorry. Love Editors, though.

And I absolutely hate rap, hip-hop and r'n'b =(
How time will heal, make me forget?!
YOU PROMISED ME!!!

jbud1980

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 25, 2009, 22:43:41
Quote from: jbud1980 on January 25, 2009, 22:39:50
sorry about that  :(

hey no need to be sorry. instead, thanks for your input! so let's just merge these two topics.
i think it's an interesting subject because just like we're kind of defined by what we do like, we're also defined by what we don't like.
and there are always surprises here and there.

i actually refrained from viewing this post because i was embarrassed about my stupid mistake.

getting excited about coachella!!!

japanesebaby

Quote from: fiction on January 26, 2009, 00:00:37
Quote from: japanesebaby on January 25, 2009, 23:40:24
[interesting, i never thought of that before. i think i need to have a listen.

It might best be detected in Failures even though that whole song reminds of V.U.

Edit: I searched my Warzaw and JD files and found that there is a little bit Lou Reed even in the Arrow studio versions of Shadowplay and Drawback from 1978.

still haven't had time to check those, sorry. anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
(but i have to confess that i never was a lou reed/velvet underground fan so perhaps it's because you got me a bit afraid! ;))

Quote from: B-Flower on February 10, 2009, 10:38:58
Interpol - a very bad copy of Joy Division to me. Sorry. Love Editors, though.

actually i never really understood the constant comparisons between interpol and joy division. i'bve always wondered if i am the only one who thinks they sound very different(?).

but in general, i was an interpol fan until i saw them live last year (= one of the live experience/live music disappointments of the decade to me, that gig). unfortunately that pretty much ruined it for me, now i can't find anything that special about them anymore. :/
i still consider 'antics' a pretty decent album but i just never listen to it anymore, nevertheless.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on February 23, 2009, 16:22:18

actually i never really understood the constant comparisons between interpol and joy division. i'bve always wondered if i am the only one who thinks they sound very different(?).

I'd say it's a vocal thing. 

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on February 24, 2009, 02:39:35
Quote from: japanesebaby on February 23, 2009, 16:22:18

I'd say it's a vocal thing. 

you mean they've been compared with each other because of vocal similarities or differencies? not sure which one you were referring to.
anyway, i'd say it's more than a vocal thing. even if you remove the vocals, i don't hear that much similarities there. even the overall atmosphere is very different: joy division can swim in deep waters whereas interpol is wading knee-deep at their best (and it seems to me like they are perfectly comfortable there, not even wanting to wade any further). interpol can be melancholic and they do that well, i admit that. they have their own style of being melacholic.  but they never reach the depths beyond it.

in general, i think interpol's main "problem" is that their leading man completely lacks charisma. like a friend once said, paul banks seems to have "as much charisma as a tennis ball". have to agree with that.