cure ft. banarama

Started by DJscribbles, May 22, 2008, 02:27:27

Previous topic - Next topic

DJscribbles

for those who havent seen this before: http://youtube.com/watch?v=OemNX-FPHrU
take a look. banarama is featured in it, if by "featured" you mean dancing around like.. like.. just watch and see.

the band looks delicious, (dont mean to make em sound like a dish!). and the host is way mixed up with the song titles, lol.
Lol is obviously drunk.. i dont dont think keyboards can sound with no hands playing them. but yeah, you should see how those banarama girls are on stage with the band. Lol is like way "interactive", Simon seems to be enjoying it (youll see in the inbetween days part), and well.. boris is the only one not involved. boris  just smiles cutely at everyone dancing  :-D
Every night I dream, and every day it comes true

japanesebaby

banaNArama - please don't insult my second favorite band. :eek:

(i remember very long ago this one trader (or should i say, "trader" - ha) who's trade list had this video described as "spanish live show, with mary and the girls on stage with the band!!!!"

made me laugh :lol:)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

DJscribbles

i didnt mean to offend! :oops: sorry about that, i do like them too! most people just know venus, and they dont even know its bananarama doing that cover -_-. i keep forgetting the banana part *head to keyboard*

thats hilarious! i wonder what made him think one of them looked like mary, lol
Every night I dream, and every day it comes true

japanesebaby

Quote from: DJscribbles on May 31, 2008, 02:41:43
i didnt mean to offend! :oops: sorry about that, i do like them too!

actually, i was joking - i am pretty damn sure that i don't like bananarama, i never did. 
there's some some nostalgy stuff from "the dark 80s" that can make one feel ok, some doesn't. i guess for me bananarama belongs to the latter category. ;)

Quote from: DJscribbles on May 31, 2008, 02:41:43
thats hilarious! i wonder what made him think one of them looked like mary, lol

i think the explanation is that this guy simply had no idea of anything cure-related. he probably couldn't even tell which one of them was robert. :oops:

back to the video:
i actually found this performance rather funny for a long time. yet when i watch it today it only makes me feel pretty damn embarrassed, i can't help it. because it makes me think that what if someone who didn't know anything about the cure saw only that, what ind of an impression he/she would have? after all the band was in top notch in '85 (live wise, i mean) and nothing like a constant crazy drunken boozing squad messing up their live shows. they were probably out of their minds lot of times but i mean they didn't constantly screw up live performances because of it. of course one can say they didn't care about this performance because it was simply just a stupid playback thing - sure. actually a lot of bands (starting from the good ol' iron maiden :-D) did this kind of stuff in the 80s, just wanting to say how idiotic playback performances were. but i guess i mean that there can be ways to screw up such a silly performance in a funny way, in a way that really makes a statement. and in this occasion the cure were simply a bunch of drunken bastards, never even trying to make much of a statement - they only managed to make fools out of themselves.

anyway, i perfectly do understand the comedy feature in the clip. it just doesn't affect me anymore i guess. of course that's not to say people shouldn't like this clip or find it genuinely funny. i just like crazy stuff like azzurro '87 much more - that's somehow "crazy in the cure way", not in a plain drunken way.
in any case, a piece of cure history for sure, this one. :D

Bloodflower

Poor Scribbles -- falling afoul of JB's humor!  ;)

I really like that funny Spanish show with Mary and the girls. Dancing beats miming any day -- and I think on that night, the guys would agree. Oh, Bananarama.....
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

japanesebaby

Quote from: Bloodflower on May 31, 2008, 09:26:18
Dancing beats miming any day

haha yes, that's right...

i remember robert some reporter teasing robert about this bananarama episode later and he said something how they were of course "total gentlemen". also something about how the bananarama girls actually drank them under the table! *)
go bananarama go :smth023

btw if anyone needs it, the broadcast details for this found here:
http://www.impressionofsounds.com/tvsion/23-85-86-07.html
an brief eye-witness' account here:
http://www.cure-concerts.de/fm-tv/ft_1985-count.php

*) if my memory serves this was probably the next time they performed in countdown, in '86 (because the reporter/interviewer was the same guy who introduced them on stage in '85 so he remembered the bananarama thing first hand). and then just another playback performance was on - that time without bananarama but robert was fooling around the stage with a trumpet, i think. i should look it up to check the details.

japanesebaby

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 31, 2008, 09:33:24
*) if my memory serves this was probably the next time they performed in countdown, in '86.

ok here's the '86 countdown and there are some comments about bananarama in the opening interview:

1986-05-08 countdown (dutch tv)

however, this is not the source i meant. there was definitely some more jokes about it someplace else, if i could only remember where (i'm too old :()...

(by the way that dutch interviewer, he must be a giant! he makes robert look like a dwarf!  :shock:)