How to play a FLAC file?

Started by dsanchez, October 31, 2006, 15:57:24

Previous topic - Next topic

bluewater

@iwannashagsimon

One thing to try. Install Foobar2000, it is a multi format media player and doesn't need plugins to play Flac. You find it here

http://www.foobar2000.org/

I tried it and it works well. Drag and drop files in the player window to play. Let us
know if this didn't help.

-blue
Life's too short to listen to lossy music

crowbi_wan

Quote from: lostflower4 on July 29, 2007, 05:46:07

@iwannashagsimon: I'm convinced that something is wrong with your computer! :(

Or there's something wrong with the files.  Try downloading some other flac files and give them a go.

japanesebaby

VLC media player also plays flac i suppose -  just thinking that if you might happen to have that on your computer already you could give it a try.

i agree that you should try both things mentioned above: try another playter and also try with several different files from different filesets.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

iwannashagsimon

I finally figured it out!   Thank you so much everyone for helping me!

I'm also sorry to say after all of this work, the file I wanted to open has crap sound!  :smth011

BrightLight

I am trying to play FLAC files for the first time and when i put them in my VLC media player them seem to skip a lot.  Do I need to upload a new version of it (I have not in a while) or is my computer too busy or something?  Does anyone have any idea what the problemo is?

lostflower4

Quote from: BrightLight on June 16, 2008, 06:35:30Do I need to upload a new version of it

Wouldn't hurt to try.

BrightLight

Also when I download FLAC using Safari Browser they are downloaded in .flac.text.  Is this a problem or supposed to happen?  Sorry for all of the stupid questions, I just have never used flac before.  Any help would be grealy appreciated.

lostflower4

Quote from: BrightLight on June 16, 2008, 06:48:50
Also when I download FLAC using Safari Browser they are downloaded in .flac.text.  Is this a problem or supposed to happen?  Sorry for all of the stupid questions, I just have never used flac before. 

Ah, a Mac person.

I think japanesebaby knows something about this .txt issue.

japanesebaby

Also when I download FLAC using Safari Browser they are downloaded in .flac.text.  Is this a problem or supposed to happen?  Sorry for all of the stupid questions, I just have never used flac before.  Any help would be grealy appreciated.

yes, that's a weird thing about safari, it sometimes adds these .txt extensions at the end of .flac extensions - to be honest i never understood why it happens.
i don't know other trick than to just remove the extensions manually and make sure .flac is the last extension there. or, download with some other browser. for instance i've never seen the same happen with firefox.

BrightLight

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 16, 2008, 07:20:54

yes, that's a weird thing about safari, it sometimes adds these .txt extensions at the end of .flac extensions - to be honest i never understood why it happens.
i don't know other trick than to just remove the extensions manually and make sure .flac is the last extension there. or, download with some other browser. for instance i've never seen the same happen with firefox.
Thanks for your help.  It seems to work just perfectly when I remove the .txt manually.  The reason that I use Safari for downloads is that it seems to go a lot faster on my computer for some reason.  Thanks for your help both Japanesebaby and lostflower.  I just redownloaded the VLC player and everything has worked perfectly after that.

japanesebaby

Quote from: BrightLight on June 16, 2008, 09:32:08
I just redownloaded the VLC player and everything has worked perfectly after that.

for an audio player with flac support i'd highly recommend ToolPlayer:
http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,3738.msg46888.html#msg46888

beats vlc 60-0.
i've tested pretty much all freeware players and it's really the best i've found.
besides, it supports 24-bit without bugs (which vlc doesn't seem to do) and has more resources/features - yet it's very light and handy.