Currently Watching (Documentaries)

Started by dsanchez, November 20, 2010, 13:49:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on December 04, 2018, 11:54:06
I would borrow from the bank only if it's REALLY important.

See, you did not mention that at first!
Well I need my car for my job/business, so I paid a big amount as a first installment, then monthly rates.

As mentioned before, I think you can't throw all the banks into one "drawer", as e.g. the "little" ones which are "community banks", do not "target" customers in order to try to get them in debt.

If I'll need money for a trip to a Cure show 2019, I'll start a "gofundme", then you all can prove what "loyal fans" you are by helping other fans to go see the band!  :lol:  :winking_tongue
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on December 04, 2018, 12:56:05
I would borrow from the bank only if it's REALLY important.
See, you did not mention that at first!
Well I need my car for my job/business, so I paid a big amount as a first installment, then monthly rates.

Fair enough.

As mentioned before, I think you can't throw all the banks into one "drawer", as e.g. the "little" ones which are "community banks", do not "target" customers in order to try to get them in debt.

Those community banks are then the exception to the rule

If I'll need money for a trip to a Cure show 2019, I'll start a "gofundme", then you all can prove what "loyal fans" you are by helping other fans to go see the band!  :lol:  :winking_tongue

If I have my job by then I will gladly collaborate with (curefans.com) members in need!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

As I had a cold the weekend, I was watching lots of documentaries...this one is very very good. Too bad when banks fail, the taxpayers pay! :pouting-face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjnHGZft5T0
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on December 04, 2018, 21:33:15
Too bad when banks fail, the taxpayers pay!

While I agree that not each and every "bad" bank has to be "saved" by taxpayers, I want to say: if they hadn't done it (saving the banks) in 2008/09 we would have had BIG problems, i.e. if the big banks hadn't trusted each other any more: no money could've been exchanged any more, no goods would've been traded via lorries & train; we would've had to trade our goods against potatoes and wheat ('cause that's what grows round here) on the local market... :fearful:

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on December 04, 2018, 21:18:53
Those community banks are then the exception to the rule

There are lots of them all over Germany, see a list here:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Genossenschaftsbanken_in_Deutschland

If you wanna read (translate) this, here is an article about their advantages:
http://www.finanzblog24.net/vorteile-von-genossenschaftsbanken/
Somit verkörpern die Genossenschaftsbanken heutzutage noch den Sinn des Bankwesens, der jedoch bei vielen anderen Großbanken bereits verloren gegangen ist. Ein weiterer positiver Aspekt ist, dass die Genossenschaftsbanken sehr wohl auf Investmentbanking verzichten. Was bei den Großbanken zur Tagesordnung gehört, ist für die Genossenschaftsbanken nicht denkbar. Somit sind Kundeneinlagen nicht gefährdet bzw. werden diese für Investmentbanking nicht angerührt.

chemicaloverload

Ah yes, the RBS scandal. They are now back in profit and have yet to give any money back....
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

dsanchez

Quote from: chemicaloverload on December 05, 2018, 10:44:49
Ah yes, the RBS scandal. They are now back in profit and have yet to give any money back....

I learned in the documentary that the CEO after that disaster still kept his £ 700 000 yearly pension :1f633:
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

MeltingMan

I would borrow from the bank only if it's REALLY important. E.g. if I need 10K to buy a 150K house, I will borrow those 10K to the bank. But I would never borrow for leisure.

By the way, if you look for a house in Germany you can get one for even less than 10 000 EUR.
But only in isolated regions, of course. One of them is called Priegnitz (between Hamburg and Berlin).
Then you need a car, definitely.  ;)
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on December 05, 2018, 10:56:01
I learned in the documentary that the CEO after that disaster still kept his £ 700 000 yearly pension :1f633:

Instead of protesting against such things, people prefer to get excited or annoyed over Trump's latest tweet...
That's the way of the world...  :1f632:
"Everybody's looking left, what the hell is happening right?"

Ulrich

Oh, and let's not forget who was (co-)responsible for loosening the regulations for (big) banks from the 1980s onwards: Maggie Thatcher, closely followed by Ronald Reagan and Helmut Kohl. And nowadays they are put on "pedestals" by their parties and followers... Thanks very much.  :pouting-face

chemicaloverload

Quote from: Ulrich on December 06, 2018, 17:35:18
Oh, and let's not forget who was (co-)responsible for loosening the regulations for (big) banks from the 1980s onwards: Maggie Thatcher, closely followed by Ronald Reagan and Helmut Kohl. And nowadays they are put on "pedestals" by their parties and followers... Thanks very much.  :pouting-face

Hahaha oh Margret Thatcher the milk snatcher. No followers here in Scotland! May is a thatcher wannabe. Sad times.
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

word_on_a_wing

...I know what u mean. My Scottish parents are not fans of Ms Thatcher.  By shutting down the ship building on the Clyde so many people lost their jobs, and in many families (including mine) it led to families needing to leave their homeland to find jobs elsewhere.

It's perhaps similar to the funeral for George Bush ...in my mind all I associate him with is war.  There would be so many others who gave more positive contributions to the world, yet unlikely to get such an extravagant send-off
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

Ulrich

I love Scotland.  :heart-eyes

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on December 07, 2018, 09:44:22
It's perhaps similar to the funeral for George Bush ...in my mind all I associate him with is war.

Maybe you mistake him for his son? The "older" George Bush did start a war against Iraq, but at least it was "only" a reaction to their occupation of Kuwait (back in 1990/91). (Unlike the 2003 war, which was a reaction to Saddam Hussein thinking about dealing oil without using the dollar...)

As a president, he was one of the leaders who enabled the unification of the two German states. Not too bad.

word_on_a_wing

Look, I'm no expert on this area, and perhaps I've been watching too many Michael Moore documentaries, but there really is something fishy that BOTH Bush presidents were involved in.  ...and I think it's still going on today and involving some of the US-Saudi arabia goings on. 
Also...how about Halliburton and how going to war would be in their financial interests!?

I stand by my statement that George Bush in my mind relates to war. I still recall sitting watching the Gulf War on the news when I was about 10y/o, the first time I'd ever seen anything like this, in confusion why anyone would take part in such things.
...and then it seems he bestowed such values to his child

I find it all pretty hard as my values involve overcoming obstacles and challenges through compassion and understanding. ...But towards people like this I find it hard to do this
😡

word_on_a_wing

About Germany, ok while he may have been US president when this was happening I really don't think it can rightly be attributed to him.
...my understanding is that there was growing frustration in East Germany, and it got to the point where people were pushing for freedom, it was gonna happen no matter what, it wouldn't be tolerated any longer. And let's not forget the role of the Bowie! 😝
https://www.wearethemighty.com/music/david-bowie-berlin-wall?rebelltitem=2#rebelltitem2