Former Cure Drummer Lol Tolhurst Slams Peter Hook's 'Sold Out' Accusations

Started by cure89, May 17, 2013, 13:22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

cure89

Ulrich

Lol has a point here. The Cure were at the beginning of their career back in '79... The "darker" albums weren't even written yet. I can hear a Joy Division influence on "Faith" (while it still sounds like The Cure). So if Peter Hook were talking about 1983 or so, I might be able to understand his point of view (but then again, Hook was in New Order at this time, they were enjoying "pop success" too with Blue Monday)... I don't know, somehow I get the impression he's lost the plot.  :?
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

mooki

New Order always has hated the Cure since they "stole" their songs. Immature

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

Quote from: mooki on January 19, 2015, 12:19:31
New Order always has hated the Cure since they "stole" their songs. Immature

I thought they liked The Cure thou Ik of the accusations mate.

I am a HUGE New Order fan atm n I must say that is immature of them, seriously they need to grow the f*ck up, nobody is copying anybody here, n that is not what The Cure intended to do in there music at all.

Ulrich

Quote from: PearlThompsonsBloodflowers on January 16, 2018, 23:01:45
I thought they liked The Cure thou

Yes, I think they do. I seem to remember an interview with Robert in which he mentions meeting them (minus Peter Hook, who was out of the band) backstage at a festival (2012?), if I can find it I'll post it here...

This might be interesting too:
http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=8142.msg762082#msg762082

Ulrich

Now I found what I was looking for!

QuoteThe Cure's dressing room is at the end of a corridor next to tonight's headliners, New Order. For most of the evening the door is tight shut, but at one point that other blond singer of the Sumner clan, Bernard, pops out and hollers, "Hello, Robert!" and the two have an enormously cheery chat; grizzled veterans still in the trenches, still topping the bills. It is an utterly disarming moment.
http://craigjparker.blogspot.de/2012/07/robert-smith-interview-with-word.html

Check here for Robert's favourite New Order songs!
http://craigjparker.blogspot.de/2015/10/roberts-favorite-new-order-songs.html

Also interesting:
http://www.cristinarocks.com/2013/03/robert-smith-talks-new-lp-joy.html
"Although the Cure and New Order...we come from the same age and everything but Peter Hook always had a real big problem with us because our bassist Simon Gallup was so much better looking and the better bass player...I think Peter was so jealous he could never get over it and he stopped the rest of them from being friendly...

"...we've bumped into them over the years, and since he's left, we've played with New Order a few times in the last summer and it's so nice to be able to chat with them, you know, to talk with them because I've always loved New Order I think they're one of the best bands - they also have a fantastic back catalog and they like us, it's so nice to say to Bernard  [Sumner] "I like your band" and he says "I like yours as well" and...it's taken an awful long time to say hello again to them. They're a good example of a band that gets better as they get older. They were fantastic when we played with them last year and we're playing again with them this year at a couple of festivals."

A Strange Girl

Quote from: Ulrich on January 17, 2018, 11:53:28

Peter Hook always had a real big problem with us because our bassist Simon Gallup was so much better looking and the better bass player...I think Peter was so jealous he could never get over it and he stopped

Friends as long as Hook is not in the band then!  :D
...I think you come from another world...

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

Quote from: A Strange Girl on March 20, 2018, 21:03:21
Quote from: Ulrich on January 17, 2018, 11:53:28

Peter Hook always had a real big problem with us because our bassist Simon Gallup was so much better looking and the better bass player...I think Peter was so jealous he could never get over it and he stopped

Friends as long as Hook is not in the band then!  :D

LMAO yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Oneiroman

I've recently been researching some of the gigs I attended in the '70s and '80s, just for personal amusement, and one of the most memorable was The Cure's 16 June 1979 performance at the Odeon, Canterbury supported by Back To Zero and Joy Division.  Back To Zero were a mod revival band who later had one single released on the Fiction label produced by Chris Parry, hence the link to The Cure.

The concert was promoted by The University of Kent at Canterbury's Students' Union but bizarrely it happened after the end of term and so nearly all the students had gone home.  I myself was a student but as I had my graduation ceremony at the end of June I was hanging around and "chilling" with  couple of friends.  The gig cost £1.25 and I would guess only 100 or so turned up, mainly school kids, some of whom were punks.  I had dragged one of my mates along although he didn't enjoy the night as much as I did and left early to catch the last train home - he particularly disliked Joy Division.  I only recognised one or two other students from the university in the venue.  I liked The Cure at the time because 'Killing an Arab' was on the college jukebox and I had bought the single for myself.  Three Imaginary Boys had just been released and I had heard some of the tracks on the radio prior to the gig.

With regards to the spat between Peter Hook and Lol Tolhurst there is a confusion.  In Hook's book he makes his comment about The Cure in the segment about the Canterbury date.  Tolhurst replied by saying that they selected JD as support because they liked them, but that would refer to the Marquee, London date on 4 March '79, part of the 'Dose of Sundays' residency The Cure held when they and Chris Parry chose all the support bands.  This was the only other time the two bands performed on the same bill.

Robert Smith seems even more confused, based on the interview he did for Urbana FM Paraguay on 29 March 2013.

When asked about Ian Curtis he said that they only appeared on the same stage once (he says incorrectly that it was in 1980).  He also said that the band picked Joy Division partly because they had heard Unknown Pleasures which is odd because that LP was only released on 15 June '79, one day before the Canterbury gig.  Presumably they had heard JD's Peel Session from earlier in the year and perhaps their Factory Sample EP tracks.  Smith does say that when they followed Joy Division it was their best performance of the year because JD were so powerful.  Even if he doesn't remember the night at Canterbury I certainly do and can vouch for the fact that both bands were excellent!

SueC

Thanks for sharing, @Oneiroman.  It's weird how decades can whiz past and we still remember things from way back when so clearly it's a shock to realise how long ago it was. :1f62e:

It's nice to see someone actually writing multiple detailed paragraphs here!   :cool   Welcome to the forum and we'll be happy if you post again!   :smth023  :smth023  :smth023
SueC is time travelling

Oneiroman

Thanks.  I see you are in WA.  I spent some happy times there in the early '80s, in Perth and up in the Kimberley.     

It was very hot but spectacular.  Big fan of The Triffids who I saw in Manchester in the mid '80s.

Ulrich

Quote from: Oneiroman on April 21, 2021, 12:36:42...
Back To Zero were a mod revival band who later had one single released on the Fiction label produced by Chris Parry, hence the link to The Cure.

Robert Smith seems even more confused, based on the interview he did for Urbana FM Paraguay on 29 March 2013.

Well I can't blame him, the band played many gigs over the years and I guess it becomes a blur, unless you keep a diary... (ask some friends about things which happened many years ago and you'll be surprised that you'll probably get very different memories as from what you recall...)!

Anyway, many thanks for sharing your recollections with us!  :smth023

SueC

Quote from: Oneiroman on April 21, 2021, 19:59:06Thanks.  I see you are in WA.  I spent some happy times there in the early '80s, in Perth and up in the Kimberley.     

It was very hot but spectacular.  Big fan of The Triffids who I saw in Manchester in the mid '80s.

Well, I wonder as I generally do in situations like this, what was the closest distance we ever got when both of us were living in Perth - which I was from late '82 to late '83 and then again from '86 on for a while.  But it's too hot there and that's why I now reside 30km as the crow flies from the place in Western Australia that is closest to Antarctica!  :)

The Triffids were certainly amongst the better offerings Australia produced...here's something I enjoyed listening to recently that you might like:  https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/programs/the-j-files/the-triffids-born-sandy-devotional-wide-open-road/13128188

Sorry about the off-topic, @Ulrich - and I have to say I don't care one bit about the spats between these two musicians the topic is about - but we so rarely get someone new here who actually speaks to us!   :cool

And though I don't care for the topic itself, I enjoyed reading that post from our new person - nice recollections.  :)
SueC is time travelling

Oneiroman

Yeah, I would have spent some of late '82 in Perth.  If you thought it was hot there you should have been in Wyndham or Derby!  Or even worse in the Top End.  Thanks for the Triffids link.  Very underrated band.  I had a thing about Aussie bands after my trip there and saw the likes of Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds (at the Hacienda, with Rowland S Howard in the line-up) and the Hoodoo Gurus in Manchester as well.  I recently found out that a Hunters and Collectors song ('42 Wheels') was about an incident I nearly got caught up in whilst visiting Uluru in 1983 - a drunken truck driver drove his truck through the bar at the motel I had left a few hours before, killing five people.  But I did love the outback.

I think the animosity between Joy Division/New Order and The Cure is all in Peter Hook's head.  In June '79 The Cure had nationwide recognition in the UK, although they had also had a couple of scathing reviews, but Joy Division were almost unknown (pleasures) outside the north of England.  It was third time lucky for me with The Cure as they had played at the University of Kent, where I was a student, twice before, in late '78 supporting first Wire and then The Jam, both of which gigs I missed.