Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

20 years ago - still a great song (& great bass by Hooky)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRhIAQAiTtY
I'm walking slowly and quickly, but always away...

Ulrich

Ulrich

It's not only Robert's birthday, but also Iggy Pop celebrating his 70th today. Here's one of his most famous songs covered by Siouxsie & Co.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nAON-MwUPY

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

tzare

Ulrich

Ulrich

New Mogwai album coming in September. I think I can hear a few Cure influences here on this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu1UVzJYfao

tzare

I've tried several times to 'like' MOgwai and other artists that Robert apparently likes, but never enjoyed them. Will try again.

Currently listening to The Sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxK8y7XuEu8&list=PLORSFbm6v6vOOvFT72YS8ANrp8eNiJGwr&index=16

Ulrich

Quote from: tzare on May 17, 2017, 14:11:21
I've tried several times to 'like' MOgwai and other artists that Robert apparently likes

Hey, there's no obligation for us fans to like anything Robert does like (and from what I gathered, he likes/liked a whole lot from Jimi Hendrix & Nick Drake up to The Twilight Sad)!
I know "65 Days of Static" were hand-picked by RS to support during the 2008 tour and they're not too far away from Mogwai sound-wise, but whenever I tried, they never "clicked" with me like Mogwai did. So what...

tzare

Quote from: Ulrich on May 17, 2017, 17:02:48
Quote from: tzare on May 17, 2017, 14:11:21
I've tried several times to 'like' MOgwai and other artists that Robert apparently likes

Hey, there's no obligation for us fans to like anything Robert does like (and from what I gathered, he likes/liked a whole lot from Jimi Hendrix & Nick Drake up to The Twilight Sad)!
I know "65 Days of Static" were hand-picked by RS to support during the 2008 tour and they're not too far away from Mogwai sound-wise, but whenever I tried, they never "clicked" with me like Mogwai did. So what...
i know , but i still try...
i thought that , i like what Robert (and the rest) do, so maybe i could also enjoy what inspires them. But no luck so far  :P
I must say i am not very open to new groups and music, in fact The Cure are the exception of the rule for me, since i am a very 'pop' guy

Ulrich

Quote from: tzare on May 19, 2017, 10:56:49
I must say i am not very open to new groups and music, in fact The Cure are the exception of the rule for me, since i am a very 'pop' guy

Not being open is not good (in my humble opinion). I've listened to all kinds of stuff from rock to classic (including sitting through 4-hour-operas).

"Pop" is not a bad thing - I'm sure you'll find Robert listened to pop songs as well. For example, I remember The Cure had the singer from Republica (Saffron) doing guest vocals on "Just Say Yes".
Also I found this:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-the-cures-robert-smith-on-his-musical-influences-20040708
On Your Web site, you cite En Vogue as a band you like. Can you honestly tell me when you last broke out the Funky Divas album?
A few years ago, my CD collection had grown to such insane proportions that I gave away about ninety percent of them. The ones that were left I listed on our Web site. I kept the En Vogue album because I really liked it. Some of it sounded like Janet Jackson – I like some of her stuff. But I wouldn't say I'm a fan. It's partly tongue-in-cheek.

What else did you listen to as a kid?
When punk came along, I found my generation's music. I grew up listening to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd, 'cause that was what got played in the house. But when I first saw the Stranglers, I thought, "This is it." And I saw the Buzzcocks the following week, and I thought, "This is definitely it."

-:- Elle Lie -:-

Quote from: Ulrich on May 19, 2017, 19:04:15
On Your Web site, you cite En Vogue as a band you like. Can you honestly tell me when you last broke out the Funky Divas album?
A few years ago, my CD collection had grown to such insane proportions that I gave away about ninety percent of them. The ones that were left I listed on our Web site. I kept the En Vogue album because I really liked it. Some of it sounded like Janet Jackson – I like some of her stuff. But I wouldn't say I'm a fan. It's partly tongue-in-cheek.

"The Velvet Rope" album is excellent. I also listened a lot to "Rhythm Nation 1814" album. But afterwards, it's a matter of taste. Music is above all a feeling. Being open to other styles of music does not make us "bad people". You can be an interpreter of children's songs and be a fan of Marylin Manson !  :)

Ulrich

Quote from: -:- Elle Lie -:- on May 20, 2017, 00:22:29
You can be an interpreter of children's songs and be a fan of Marylin Manson !

Well you can, but I would not recommend it!  :lol:
Never liked Manson (and that includes Charles M. too), then I hear things like he left stage after 20 mins at a headlining show.  :smth011

I'd rather listen to:
https://duncanreidandthebigheads.bandcamp.com/album/bombs-away

tzare

Quote from: Ulrich on May 19, 2017, 19:04:15
Quote from: tzare on May 19, 2017, 10:56:49

Not being open is not good (in my humble opinion). I've listened to all kinds of stuff from rock to classic (including sitting through 4-hour-operas).

"Pop" is not a bad thing - I'm sure you'll find Robert listened to pop songs as well. For example, I remember The Cure had the singer from Republica (Saffron) doing guest vocals on "Just Say Yes".
Also I found this:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-the-cures-robert-smith-on-his-musical-influences-20040708

What else did you listen to as a kid?
When punk came along, I found my generation's music. I grew up listening to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd, 'cause that was what got played in the house. But when I first saw the Stranglers, I thought, "This is it." And I saw the Buzzcocks the following week, and I thought, "This is definitely it."
Oh, i am aware , but , unfortunately (well my wallet likes it though xD ) my tastes don't allow me to like most of the music i listen to, so at least it isn't because i don't try.

I am, however,slowly getting tired to try new music, i mean i am older, have not much time and patience anymore , i even did not give the latest cure albums the time they deserved back in the day - i am giving them now that time, and i am glad i did,i am really enjoying them!!

The only band that has grown on me lately has been The Sounds, they are pop rock, a little bit like Saffron's former band, Republica, which i liked, and was pleasantly surprised when saw her joint The Cure fur Just say Yes.
I also tried 'En Vogue', but not my cup of tea :(